1st round projections...

I don’t see any way that brevin will actually go in first round. He’s just too small
njoku was 6’4 245, jordan is a legit 6’3 240-245, hes not that small. N’joku May have been a elite high jumper but I dont Think he’s a better tight end than Jordan at all when it comes to blocking, catching and just being able to create more with the ball in his hands

Advertisement
njoku was 6’4 245, jordan is a legit 6’3 240-245, hes not that small. N’joku May have been a elite high jumper but I dont Think he’s a better tight end than Jordan at all when it comes to blocking, catching and just being able to create more with the ball in his hands
I agree with you. I also believe that Brev is a 1st rd talent but the NFL has dropped guys for lesser reasons. I think with a healthy and top TE type of season he'll go anywhere between late 1st to 2nd round in the draft. Anything short of that he'll be a 3rd-4th round steal.

Miami recently had 4 first round preseason projections Kaaya, Richards, Jackson and Garvin....none of them became first round picks...we all know what happened to AR the other 3 have many different view points....Kaaya played in a new system that hindered his performance....there have been many NFL busts at QB....but if he had remained in the same system....would he had fell to the last round? For some unknown reason Garvin fell off....maybe somebody can explain? Jackson just didn't have a great enough season imo...my point....Brevin and Greg are easily 1st round projections...this staff must do everything possible to make that happen imo....we have a new O system again....Phillips and Roche coming in....along with other DL possibly improving....will Brevin and Greg lose that edge like other recent Miami preseason 1st round projections? I hope they don't slowly disappear and fall to later rounds like others have done in
Miami recently had 4 first round preseason projections Kaaya, Richards, Jackson and Garvin....none of them became first round picks...we all know what happened to AR the other 3 have many different view points....Kaaya played in a new system that hindered his performance....there have been many NFL busts at QB....but if he had remained in the same system....would he had fell to the last round? For some unknown reason Garvin fell off....maybe somebody can explain? Jackson just didn't have a great enough season imo...my point....Brevin and Greg are easily 1st round projections...this staff must do everything possible to make that happen imo....we have a new O system again....Phillips and Roche coming in....along with other DL possibly improving....will Brevin and Greg lose that edge like other recent Miami preseason 1st round projections? I hope they don't slowly disappear and fall to later rounds like others have done in the past...
Sadly I think GR Wil be are only 1st round pick next year, Brevin has the talent to be a 1st rounder but he is short compared to the other TE’s that went 1st round and he has a bit of a injury history , I project Mid Second to Early 3rd For Jordan I thought Jackson after his freshman was a 1st rounder but it seem like he hit his ceiling, garvin as well and kayaa Look like he had cement stuck to his feet , if he was slightly mobile he would of went higher.

Didn't Kaaya put up his best numbers his JR year at UM, under Richt? That "new system" didn't hinder his performance.

I saw on NFL films one time that a team (years ago) drafted a QB based off the way he "looked" in his college photo.....that's akin to anybody that had a projection of Kaaya going in the first round. His NFL draft profile wasn't that of a first round pick.
Yea him and AR was going crazy together and Stacy coley was putting In work, our O-Line was just trash like always and kayaa was a sitting duck

Our staffs job is to won football games, not manufacture first round picks. If we win games, those guys and everyone else wilk have their chance to impress the nfl.

Advertisement
So the offense that allowed Kaaya to put up his best numbers while at UM is the same offense that made him look "*****"? Were the NFL scouts that fooled about Kaaya that only the change in schemes magically unveiled all the weaknesses that he had/has at the QB position?

My guess is that not 1 NFL scout had Kaaya projected that high. If they did he would have gone that high considering that his JR year was his best year at UM. He didn't decline over his three years man, he just wasn't that good of an NFL prospect at the QB position, especially as a starting QB. Matter of fact, I think almost all of his grades were at a "career backup" level of projecting.
Not saying Kaaya was anywhere near a first round pick, which is obvious at this point... but coming off his sophomore season, at least one mock draft (SI) had him going number 1 overall to Cleveland. https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports...-no-1-in-2017-mock-drafts-20160503-story.html

This same article also has another mock listing him as the #2 (WalterCamp), and a third with him at #23. That being said, these were all "early mock drafts", which probably says more about the lack of accuracy for these mocks than anything else.

Edit: kept scrolling, and 3 other mocks at the time had him 2, 2, and 5. Kaaya as a top pick was a real thing, once upon a time.

Not saying Kaaya was anywhere near a first round pick, which is obvious at this point... but coming off his sophomore season, at least one mock draft (SI) had him going number 1 overall to Cleveland. https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports...-no-1-in-2017-mock-drafts-20160503-story.html

This same article also has another mock listing him as the #2 (WalterCamp), and a third with him at #23. That being said, these were all "early mock drafts", which probably says more about the lack of accuracy for these mocks than anything else.

Edit: kept scrolling, and 3 other mocks at the time had him 2, 2, and 5. Kaaya as a top pick was a real thing, once upon a time.
Kaaya got hype but he fell because he was a statue in the pocket and didn’t have that strong of an arm. In the right system i thought he could be a good qb in the league honestly

Kaaya got hype but he fell because he was a statue in the pocket and didn’t have that strong of an arm. In the right system i thought he could be a good qb in the league honestly
Agree. His arm strength was a little below average to average, but he had good enough accuracy and a plus mental game. If he was at all mobile, he would've had a shot in the league. Idk about good, but definitely get a chance as a starter.

Ok, but how many actual NFL scouts had him going that high? My guess, none.

Advertisement

At the time, probably a good amount - but it was all based of potential & reputation.

Kaaya starting as a true Freshman kickstarted his reputation as a big time QB - as it will with most QB's that can win the starting job as a true freshman at a major school.

The thought at that time was Richt was coming in as a QB guru, so Kaaya working with Richt his Junior year was going to take him to the next level and Kaaya would finally reach his potential. But Kaaya never actually improved that much.

What happened with Kaaya - and you see it with other players like Shaq & Pickney this year - is you play great for a Freshman and the thought is their weaknesses will get better as they get older. But sometimes the more they play, the more their warts gets exposed. So if you have the same weaknesses as a Junior/Senior that you did as a Freshman - those weaknesses are now seen as limitations that the player won't be able to overcome. So their potential and ceiling as a player is keeps getting lower as their college career progresses.

At the time, probably a good amount - but it was all based of potential & reputation.

Kaaya starting as a true Freshman kickstarted his reputation as a big time QB - as it will with most QB's that can win the starting job as a true freshman at a major school.

The thought at that time was Richt was coming in as a QB guru, so Kaaya working with Richt his Junior year was going to take him to the next level and Kaaya would finally reach his potential. But Kaaya never actually improved that much.

What happened with Kaaya - and you see it with other players like Shaq & Pickney this year - is you play great for a Freshman and the thought is their weaknesses will get better as they get older. But sometimes the more they play, the more their warts gets exposed. So if you have the same weaknesses as a Junior/Senior that you did as a Freshman - those weaknesses are now seen as limitations that the player won't be able to overcome. So their potential and ceiling as a player is keeps getting lower as their college career progresses.

I understand all of that, but I have never seen an NFL draft profile for Kaaya that ever had him going that high. I have seen publications that had him graded that high, but never anything from those that actually mattered. But to be fair, a least one idiot had Johnny M that high and followed up on that grade. Although, I suspect that had more to do with generating interest and excitement for their team than it did believing he would be a good NFL QB.

I understand all of that, but I have never seen an NFL draft profile for Kaaya that ever had him going that high. I have seen publications that had him graded that high, but never anything from those that actually mattered. But to be fair, a least one idiot had Johnny M that high and followed up on that grade. Although, I suspect that had more to do with generating interest and excitement for their team than it did believing he would be a good NFL QB.

Right - I think by the end of his Junior year when he started having a full draft profile, his grade had been adjusted at that point.

But even just days before the 2017 draft, draft analysts were still mocking him in the 3rd/4th Round range.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...att-millers-final-7-round-predictions#slide34
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...reuter-2017-sevenround-nfl-mock-draft-round-4

I agree with you - most scouts probably never had Kaaya as high as most analysts & fans thought. You just never know until the draft actually happens.

I get your point, but NFL draft boards aren't public as far as I know, especially a year out. I think this is as reasonable a proxy as you're going to find. People were high on Kaaya after his sophomore season, projecting a lot of growth and upside.

Advertisement

These projections were right before Richt's first year. This makes me wonder where Kaaya would have been picked if he had a real playcaller in 2016.

Kaaya's NFL career seems like it might already be over at this point. But if he had even been a third round pick (forget about first round), teams probably would have devoted more resources to him.

These projections were right before Richt's first year. This makes me wonder where Kaaya would have been picked if he had a real playcaller in 2016.

Kaaya's NFL career seems like it might already be over at this point. But if he had even been a third round pick (forget about first round), teams probably would have devoted more resources to him.
Wasn’t richt, kaaya had by far his best and most efficient season with richt . Kaaya’s limitedarm(which was overblown imo) and his lack of mobility(was a huge issue) just was put under the microscope and was exposed

Wasn’t richt, kaaya had by far his best and most efficient season with richt . Kaaya’s limitedarm(which was overblown imo) and his lack of mobility(was a huge issue) just was put under the microscope and was exposed

Yeah, but QBs are supposed to get better in later years of college, which was basically the expectation with Kaaya. It's not like his original OC, James Coley, was a very good playcaller either. (And I suspect these high draft projections were in part under the expectation that Richt would be a much better playcaller than Coley.) He might have improved more if he had a better playcaller and didn't have Jon as QB coach.

I don't think he would have been a first rounder, but I'm not sure the third or at the very least the fourth round would have been unrealistic with a better playcaller and QB coach.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Yeah, but QBs are supposed to get better in later years of college, which was basically the expectation with Kaaya. He might have improved more if he had a better playcaller and didn't have Jon as QB coach.

I don't think he would have been a first rounder, but I'm not sure the third or at the very least the fourth round would have been unrealistic with a better playcaller and QB coach.
Kaaya had an excellent season, sometimes you are what you are

Advertisement
Back