1st round projections...

Miami recently had 4 first round preseason projections Kaaya, Richards, Jackson and Garvin....none of them became first round picks...we all know what happened to AR the other 3 have many different view points....Kaaya played in a new system that hindered his performance....there have been many NFL busts at QB....but if he had remained in the same system....would he had fell to the last round? For some unknown reason Garvin fell off....maybe somebody can explain? Jackson just didn't have a great enough season imo...my point....Brevin and Greg are easily 1st round projections...this staff must do everything possible to make that happen imo....we have a new O system again....Phillips and Roche coming in....along with other DL possibly improving....will Brevin and Greg lose that edge like other recent Miami preseason 1st round projections? I hope they don't slowly disappear and fall to later rounds like others have done in the past...

Didn't Kaaya put up his best numbers his JR year at UM, under Richt? That "new system" didn't hinder his performance.

I saw on NFL films one time that a team (years ago) drafted a QB based off the way he "looked" in his college photo.....that's akin to anybody that had a projection of Kaaya going in the first round. His NFL draft profile wasn't that of a first round pick.

Last edited:
Advertisement
While each year our fans have have a tendency to overrate our own players, but Rousseau & Jordan are being rated properly.

Rousseau is more likely, but both have great chances to go in the 1st.

Miami recently had 4 first round preseason projections Kaaya, Richards, Jackson and Garvin....none of them became first round picks...we all know what happened to AR the other 3 have many different view points....Kaaya played in a new system that hindered his performance....there have been many NFL busts at QB....but if he had remained in the same system....would he had fell to the last round? For some unknown reason Garvin fell off....maybe somebody can explain? Jackson just didn't have a great enough season imo...my point....Brevin and Greg are easily 1st round projections...this staff must do everything possible to make that happen imo....we have a new O system again....Phillips and Roche coming in....along with other DL possibly improving....will Brevin and Greg lose that edge like other recent Miami preseason 1st round projections? I hope they don't slowly disappear and fall to later rounds like others have done in the past...
Nobody was predicting Garvin as a first round pick outside of this message board. Wasn't on most folks draft radars last offseason. I doubt they were Jackson either. We've been overselling our best players for a few years now.

Brevin and Greg are legitimate first round talents. If they fall to late rounds after this year, then we have a problem.

Projections 1-2 years out are a joke. It’s writers pulling names out of clouds and throwing them together. Some guys max out early in college. Other guys don’t get a chance until their junior or senior years. Many projections are based on stats, which can be system driven, or physical stature. All that changes once these kids get to Shrine and Senior now weeks, combine and pro days when the matchups against other equally talented players happens and teams get true size/speed/testing numbers.

I love Brevin but if I had to put money on it I wouldn’t put it on Round 1. He’s smaller than former first round guys, who are routinely 6’4-6’5 and 250ish, and doesn’t have that elite speed that bumps some into 1st round consideration. Plus, many teams just don’t value tight ends that high in the draft similar to RBs. Since 2010 only 9 tight ends were picked in the 1st round. Hockenson had minimal impact on the Lions last year. Hurst has been abysmal for Baltimore with 500 total yards in 3 years since going round 1 while Andrews has put up 1400 yards and 14 TDS as a 3rd rounder in that same period.

Jordan will do well in the NFL. But I too think he is 6’2. Teams want large measurable a for first round picks to sell to their owners.

Garvin and Joe Jackson did not have elite quickness around the edge. Greg needs to work on it. He had most of his sacks from the DT position on third down going up against some bad Guards. He will have to prove himself on the edge.

Advertisement
Nobody was predicting Garvin as a first round pick outside of this message board. Wasn't on most folks draft radars last offseason. I doubt they were Jackson either. We've been overselling our best players for a few years now.

Brevin and Greg are legitimate first round talents. If they fall to late rounds after this year, then we have a problem.
We have a problem obviously but if greg isn’t a top 10 pick then it laminates the fact that some of our players are being undervalued, Even our better ones

Projections 1-2 years out are a joke. It’s writers pulling names out of clouds and throwing them together. Some guys max out early in college. Other guys don’t get a chance until their junior or senior years. Many projections are based on stats, which can be system driven, or physical stature. All that changes once these kids get to Shrine and Senior now weeks, combine and pro days when the matchups against other equally talented players happens and teams get true size/speed/testing numbers.

I love Brevin but if I had to put money on it I wouldn’t put it on Round 1. He’s smaller than former first round guys, who are routinely 6’4-6’5 and 250ish, and doesn’t have that elite speed that bumps some into 1st round consideration. Plus, many teams just don’t value tight ends that high in the draft similar to RBs. Since 2010 only 9 tight ends were picked in the 1st round. Hockenson had minimal impact on the Lions last year. Hurst has been abysmal for Baltimore with 500 total yards in 3 years since going round 1 while Andrews has put up 1400 yards and 14 TDS as a 3rd rounder in that same period.

It will be tough when they compare him to Kelce, Kittle, Rudolph or Ertz. None of which went in the 1st round....no way Jordan goes that high.

Were JoeJack and Garvin really projected 1st roind or was that just us? I feel like JoeJack might have been at one point, but I don't remember Garvin.
I think Joe Jackson looked that way his rookie year, Garvin a little as well. Problem is they just didn't get much better......I guess that doesn't really answer your question haha.

Yeah Greg is going to be a top 10 pick. Brevin will be late 1st early 2nd . Either way that is amazing. If he was 2 inches taller he would be a top 15 pick though.

Advertisement
How real Is that 235 number? He measured in at 6’3 258 at the opening coming in as a senior, I think Brevin probably around 245 or close to it . What separates Brevin from other tight ends is his run after catch ability and his ability to be a very good blocker. Most complete tight end in next years draft. If he stays healthy(which is the biggest thing) and tests relatively well 1st/2nd round could be a real possibility
What other tight ends are in next year's draft?

Didn't Kaaya put up his best numbers his JR year at UM, under Richt? That "new system" didn't hinder his performance.

I saw on NFL films one time that a team (years ago) drafted a QB based off the way he "looked" in his college photo.....that's akin to anybody that had a projection of Kaaya going in the first round. His NFL draft profile wasn't that of a first round pick.
Kaaya was #1 on several boards until Richts O made him look sorry as *****....I also forgot about Mike Jackson another 1st round projection.....seems like everybody except Njoku fell off....

For many years now, our kids get worse with each year of exposure to our frigging coaching staffs. Going back to Randy to toady. I remember Randy's big recruiting class going up to swamp its freshmen year and putting a serious scare into Tebow and gator -- eventual NC team. Instead of building they got worse. Golden same thing, then Mark and now will be no different. Butch's staff eventually turned our several NFL HC's now we turn out front men for sec bag men.

For many years now, our kids get worse with each year of exposure to our frigging coaching staffs. Going back to Randy to toady. I remember Randy's big recruiting class going up to swamp its freshmen year and putting a serious scare into Tebow and gator -- eventual NC team. Instead of building they got worse. Golden same thing, then Mark and now will be no different. Butch's staff eventually turned our several NFL HC's now we turn out front men for sec bag men.
Exactly what it seems like to me....I really hope Greg and Brevin don't fall off like the rest....

Advertisement
Were JoeJack and Garvin really projected 1st roind or was that just us? I feel like JoeJack might have been at one point, but I don't remember Garvin.
I thought he was talking about Mike Jack. At one point he was projected a 1st round type guy

Exactly what it seems like to me....I really hope Greg and Brevin don't fall off like the rest....
Completely different talent levels with those 2 compared to the rest though that dropped after getting hype

Advertisement
Kaaya was #1 on several boards until Richts O made him look sorry as *****....I also forgot about Mike Jackson another 1st round projection.....seems like everybody except Njoku fell off....

So the offense that allowed Kaaya to put up his best numbers while at UM is the same offense that made him look "*****"? Were the NFL scouts that fooled about Kaaya that only the change in schemes magically unveiled all the weaknesses that he had/has at the QB position?

My guess is that not 1 NFL scout had Kaaya projected that high. If they did he would have gone that high considering that his JR year was his best year at UM. He didn't decline over his three years man, he just wasn't that good of an NFL prospect at the QB position, especially as a starting QB. Matter of fact, I think almost all of his grades were at a "career backup" level of projecting.

Greg should be drafted minimum first round based off potential alone. His size and athleticism will have scouts drooling. If he’s going to be top 10 or top 5 he’ll need to develop a lot. He’s so raw at this point. He basically got 15.5 sacks purely cause he’s a freak. Imagine if he actually learns the art of rushing the passer!

So the offense that allowed Kaaya to put up his best numbers while at UM is the same offense that made him look "*****"? Were the NFL scouts that fooled about Kaaya that only the change in schemes magically unveiled all the weaknesses that he had/has at the QB position?

My guess is that not 1 NFL scout had Kaaya projected that high. If they did he would have gone that high considering that his JR year was his best year at UM. He didn't decline over his three years man, he just wasn't that good of an NFL prospect at the QB position, especially as a starting QB. Matter of fact, I think almost all of his grades were at a "career backup" level of projecting.
He underperformed when it counted most.... FSU, ND, VT, NC....by the time Richt went to more spread, it was too late the damage had already been done.....

Advertisement
Back