1st Practice

It's unbelievable that these dopes are still in Folden land despite the obviousness of his failure here and how bad a fit for UM it is to be in the business of artificially bloating players.

Jermaine Grace's weight is irrelevant. I know you know this but the guy is the perfect fit for an aggressive defense.

The key to a blitzing defense? Get there first. People always said how passive our previous defense was, but we blitzed A LOT. Problem was our blitzes were ill conceived and our guys slow to the ball. That just left bigger gaps in our coverages.

Grace wasn't a 5 star recruit for a reason. He lacks size. He's strong for his size though and has absolutely elite speed. He might be the fastest **** linebacker in the country for all we know.

There's no reason Grace can't have a James Burgess impact. I happen to think he's a better player than Burgess and if he's properly utilized, namely his elite speed and natural instincts, he's going to have a big year.

I think Grace is the best player on our Defense... but at 205 you can not play in the box in D1 and higher football. By him getting moved to SAM was a great move because now he will be out of the box a lot more than at WILL... I honestly think he should play safety... His size and speed and aggression make that a perfect spot for him... especially at the next level.... How many teams in the NFL will draft a 207 LB? Spence is going to have trouble finding a team he is over 230 now... but at 5'11 his frame is maxed out... I hope that I'm wrong because he is one of my favorite Canes. GA Tech runs power right at the box... and it proved positive against our D... Now if the DLine can penetrate the LOS that will take a lot of pressure off the backers but even then the box backer will have to shed a block before getting to the ball and that will mean you will need strength and size

I get what you are trying to say but it is not necessarily true for a 4-3 defense. Undersized LB are perfect for the 4-3. The DT are shooting their gaps every play. The LB are reading the movement of the G's if they come shoot the gap, if they pass block, then drop into coverage. At the WILL the LB does not have to be 230 lb, this is why Spence was able to play the position at 205. His quickness was his best asset. It helped him in coverage in the flats and helped him disrupt the play behind the line of scrimmage against the run. So when you say he can't play in the box at 205 lb that's not true because a lot of teams bring in a safety to play in the box and we know S are smaller that LB typically. The Will is your most athletic and mobile LB and he needs to be lighter and faster to cover a RB or WR in the flats and that's at any level of football. As far as Spence, he will have no trouble finding another NFL team. He just has the opportunity to select the best fit for him.
Our HS ran Diaz Def... The Will is usally in the box... in our case Sam is normally out of the box...with the large number of teams running spread ... in this scheme SAM is your more athletic backer...he can go out in coverage or when 1 by 1 on a TE... he has the quickness to rush from the edge...So it makes since that Grace has moved to SAM and JY to WILL...MIKE and Will or interchangeable and SAM and Saftey or close to being interchangeable. ..

Sounds like Grace is playing the "star"...just my two cents.

Advertisement
Teams are going to run right at him if he plays sam. The Sam in a 4-3 under plays on the los over the te. Fsu and Pitt are going to go right at grace.

Teams are going to run right at him if he plays sam. The Sam in a 4-3 under plays on the los over the te. Fsu and Pitt are going to go right at grace.
. Check this out......star position https://youtu.be/-1Ud3o60G00

You would think a fanbase subjected to Randy Shannon and Al Golden for a solid decade would stop being so ****ing obsessed with weights, not even SEASON weight, but spring weights.

Get it together.
It's unbelievable that these dopes are still in Folden land despite the obviousness of his failure here and how bad a fit for UM it is to be in the business of artificially bloating players.

Jermaine Grace's weight is irrelevant. I know you know this but the guy is the perfect fit for an aggressive defense.

The key to a blitzing defense? Get there first. People always said how passive our previous defense was, but we blitzed A LOT. Problem was our blitzes were ill conceived and our guys slow to the ball. That just left bigger gaps in our coverages.

Grace wasn't a 5 star recruit for a reason. He lacks size. He's strong for his size though and has absolutely elite speed. He might be the fastest **** linebacker in the country for all we know.

There's no reason Grace can't have a James Burgess impact. I happen to think he's a better player than Burgess and if he's properly utilized, namely his elite speed and natural instincts, he's going to have a big year.

I think Grace is the best player on our Defense... but at 205 you can not play in the box in D1 and higher football. By him getting moved to SAM was a great move because now he will be out of the box a lot more than at WILL... I honestly think he should play safety... His size and speed and aggression make that a perfect spot for him... especially at the next level.... How many teams in the NFL will draft a 207 LB? Spence is going to have trouble finding a team he is over 230 now... but at 5'11 his frame is maxed out... I hope that I'm wrong because he is one of my favorite Canes. GA Tech runs power right at the box... and it proved positive against our D... Now if the DLine can penetrate the LOS that will take a lot of pressure off the backers but even then the box backer will have to shed a block before getting to the ball and that will mean you will need strength and size

You don't need gigantic LBs when your DL is playing in the offensive backfield. You need gigantic LBs when you allow offenses to run downhill on your *** like we used to. When your defense isn't in catch mode, you can use that speed to dictate and get to ball carriers before you get plowed into the ground.

Biggest example of this was the Nebraska game of 2 years ago when poor Denzell looked like a clown because no one was disrupting Amir Abdullah. Every fcking carry he had in that game he had a 7 yard cushion before anyone even tried to lay a hand on him. They just went downhill on us, and Denzell was getting juked by Abdullah or run over by OL as he sat back in catch mode.

Advertisement
You would think a fanbase subjected to Randy Shannon and Al Golden for a solid decade would stop being so ****ing obsessed with weights, not even SEASON weight, but spring weights.

Get it together.

You don't need gigantic LBs when your DL is playing in the offensive backfield. You need gigantic LBs when you allow offenses to run downhill on your *** like we used to. When your defense isn't in catch mode, you can use that speed to dictate and get to ball carriers before you get plowed into the ground.

Biggest example of this was the Nebraska game of 2 years ago when poor Denzell looked like a clown because no one was disrupting Amir Abdullah. Every fcking carry he had in that game he had a 7 yard cushion before anyone even tried to lay a hand on him. They just went downhill on us, and Denzell was getting juked by Abdullah or run over by OL as he sat back in catch mode.
Yup.

And this misconception about GT being a power run team is a little old. They are often a timing and rhythm offense moreso than power. Their linemen are rarely gigantic. They just take advantage of match ups and mistakes. Their personnel changes and it makes them different but I don't think they are a "power" team.

I don't think so... if he has a tight end...he will probally line up one by one....flow to him..he will be force... flow away... catch any trash coming back ie bootlegs reverse and maybe even counters...except for Tech every body else will spread then he would play two or three depending on the alignment and coverage...we will running something like Auburns 4-2 Star...against Tech it will look like a traditional 4-3 Under and yes they are gonna come right at him...but if our front four dominate their gap and he can move freely...he will kill it with his quickness....but i dont see him making a lot of plays after coming off a 295 lbs guards block

Yup.

And this misconception about GT being a power run team is a little old. They are often a timing and rhythm offense moreso than power. Their linemen are rarely gigantic. They just take advantage of match ups and mistakes. Their personnel changes and it makes them different but I don't think they are a "power" team.
I agee Neb is what i consider a power team...Tech OL does mostly roll blocks.. look at their OL pants after just one series on offense they are all stained... What they do is attack the gut of the defense then throw the hook with their QB keeping the read and their TE setting the edge..then come right back at you with a read option....i agree Techs game is more about finesse than power

Yup.

GT is far from a power team. They dive at ankles and knees and rely on running the same 2 or 3 plays to perfection.

Advertisement
I don't think so... if he has a tight end...he will probally line up one by one....flow to him..he will be force... flow away... catch any trash coming back ie bootlegs reverse and maybe even counters...except for Tech every body else will spread then he would play two or three depending on the alignment and coverage...we will running something like Auburns 4-2 Star...against Tech it will look like a traditional 4-3 Under and yes they are gonna come right at him...but if our front four dominate their gap and he can move freely...he will kill it with his quickness....but i dont see him making a lot of plays after coming off a 295 lbs guards block

Yeah I think he will be alright. Looking at the schedule it's mostly spread teams and he should eat vs them

Are they going to play that way after grace leaves? Because the other LBs don't have is athleticism and skill set.

Yeah I think he will be alright. Looking at the schedule it's mostly spread teams and he should eat vs them

Are they going to play that way after grace leaves? Because the other LBs don't have is athleticism and skill set.
I think that would be a good roll for pinkney...he has that kinda athleticism even McCloud can play that...neither i don't think are as fast as Grace..as a matter of fact i don't think there are that many LBs in the country thats as fast as Grace

Advertisement
Back