1st Practice

Advertisement
You would think a fanbase subjected to Randy Shannon and Al Golden for a solid decade would stop being so ****ing obsessed with weights, not even SEASON weight, but spring weights.

Get it together.
It's unbelievable that these dopes are still in Folden land despite the obviousness of his failure here and how bad a fit for UM it is to be in the business of artificially bloating players.

Most of these posters are young'ns...They think Jessie Armstead (a speed demon like Grace and a tackling machine) was 6'2 235 but dont know that Jessie was probably 215 soaking wet on his best day. He didnt gain weight until he got to the NFL.

Kaaya needs to gain 20 more pounds for the NFL IMO. At 6'4 1/2 230 is a very good size for an NFL qb

He wont last in the NFL at his current weight.
yea def look at Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady...those two just ooze muscle

rodgers is one of the most athletic QB's in the league and weighs in the 220's, and when you talk brady that's one of the biggest exceptions to the rule but even he now is over 220

Thats old dad weight. You cant get rid of that.

You would think a fanbase subjected to Randy Shannon and Al Golden for a solid decade would stop being so ****ing obsessed with weights, not even SEASON weight, but spring weights.

Get it together.
It's unbelievable that these dopes are still in Folden land despite the obviousness of his failure here and how bad a fit for UM it is to be in the business of artificially bloating players.

Is it really, though?
some people are stubborn and refuse to admit when they were wrong

so they will try to convince everyone that golden didnt have a fair chance or the NCAA cloud was the reason golden couldnt succeed

i will admit he was slightly better than randy, but not by much
It's a mix of stubbornness and extremely low IQ.

I'll assume you've been to home games and have seen the troglodytes who make up a large portion of our fanbase.

Kaaya needs to gain 20 more pounds for the NFL IMO. At 6'4 1/2 230 is a very good size for an NFL qb

He wont last in the NFL at his current weight.
yea def look at Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady...those two just ooze muscle

rodgers is one of the most athletic QB's in the league and weighs in the 220's, and when you talk brady that's one of the biggest exceptions to the rule but even he now is over 220

So what if he's athletic?? He's still thin and so is Marcus Mariota, so is teddy bridgewater, **** Derek Carr onlys weighs 215 is he too "light" for the NFL?? How bout Kirk Cousins at 200 pounds is he too "light"??

Advertisement
i know some people on another site who refuse to blame golden for anything, and still think he was about to turn it around

i knew after the maryland loss, that he and donofrios scheme wasnt gonna work
Lol that clown must be still over there convincing people Golden and No D are going to win titles at Miami ��������

supa you used to post on my board?
Yes

sorry it got out of hand, jez did his best to **** everyone off and no one wanted to post with him anymore

hes not a bad guy but he is still holding a candle for golden SMH :ignore2:

this is my new base of operations for now, i know of a few of our other posters who came here too
No worries. Once I found this board I was ✌.

Muscle weighs more than fat. It's very possible to trim down the fat but still gain weight.

This is what I've tried to explained here a few times myself. Also, on D it doesn't matter if you're light for a position.... if you can hit hard, pursue with speed , take right angles and wrap correctly, you will make takles. A big slow kid can can easily get smoked in the open field. I'll take a hybrid with speed any day! In todays game vs spread offenses they are much more valuable.

Last edited:
Lol that clown must be still over there convincing people Golden and No D are going to win titles at Miami ��������

supa you used to post on my board?
Yes

sorry it got out of hand, jez did his best to **** everyone off and no one wanted to post with him anymore

hes not a bad guy but he is still holding a candle for golden SMH :ignore2:

this is my new base of operations for now, i know of a few of our other posters who came here too
No worries. Once I found this board I was ✌.
this is a good board, i love how they have the recruiting info an all of that

i was wanting to make my own board, but when i saw how well this one was put together i believe i am going to make this my new home, and i will try to bring all of my posters over here

Muscle weighs more than fat. It's very possible to trim down the fat but still gain weight.

This is what I've tried to explained here a few times myself. Also, on D it doesn't matter if you're light for a position.... if you can hit hard, pursue with speed , take right angles and wrap correctly, you will make takles. A big slow kid can can easily get smoked in the open field. I'll take a hybrid with speed any day! In todays game vs spread offenses they are much more valuable.

Agree to an extent. It really depends on the type of scheme you're running and what position you're playing. If you're a two down Linebacker that plays near the line of scrimmage, size counts. It's unfair to expect a 200 lb linebacker to stack and shed a 260 lb tight end or 300+lb tackle. Obviously, the coaches aren't asking this of Jermaine Grace and he's expected to play more of a hybrid LB/S position so I have no issue with him playing in the low 200 lb range. And you're right considering the amount of spread teams vs teams that run a traditional offense with a blocking tight end. The thing a lot of people misinterpret is weight gain=slow. That's not really the case. Some guys have a bigger frame that can handle extra muscle without losing quickness. Some guys might lose a quarter of a step but depending on what position they play, the benefits of being stronger may outweigh the lost step. Now, you don't want to do what the last staff did in forcing players to bulk up too much, too fast. That's how you end up with a slow team. However, controlled weight gain through added muscle mass won't hamper a top notch athlete. Look at the fastest sprinters in the world. Those guys aren't bulky but they certainly have quite a bit of muscle on their frames. If lean muscle slowed people down, every sprinter would more resemble marathon runners who have very little muscle on their frames.

Advertisement
News & Notes
• Richt admitted he was still learning his players. All of the players had their names taped to the front and back of their helmets. “I am trying to learn 100 names and little by little I am getting there,” Richt said with a laugh.

• Richt is excited about working with the quarterbacks again and he says he is impressed with the group Miami has on the team at that position. “I am very impressed with the quarterbacks in that they will really work hard and learn what we ask them to learn,” Richt said. “They have a lot of process. Brad did an excellent job. You could tell Brad and the rest of them did a good job of studying the playbook during spring break. I think Brad is a veteran and you can tell he has been around.”

• QB Brad Kaaya admitted that it feels like he is learning his third offense at Miami. Kaaya says he is excited by the attention to detail that Mark Richt has with coaching his quarterback and said his footwork is one thing that Richt likes to focus on.

• The first team offensive line during the drills was: LT Trevor Darling, LG Kc McDermott, C Alex Gall RG Danny Isidora, RT Tyree St. Louis

• The first team defense during the drills was: DE Chad Thomas DT R.J. McIntosh DT Gerald Willis, DE Al-Quadin MuhammadLB Charles Perry, LB Jamie Gordinier, LB Jermaine Grace CB Sheldrick Redwine, S Rayshawn Jenkins, S Jamal Carter, CB Corn Elder.

• DE Al-Quadin Muhammad on what is different about the team now: “Everybody is buying in. I feel like everybody is on the same page. Coach Richt is doing a great job with how he sets everything up. The way he deals with the players and the coaches are dealing with us is one step at a time. It is the beginning and it is only going to get better.”

• Muhammad admitted he is excited about playing in the new defensive scheme. “This defense is beneficial to everyone,” Muhammad said. “We have been working hard and this defense is going to be great. We are going to do some great things. As far as my skill set, it is great for me.”

• WR Stacy Coley on if he was close to declaring early for the NFL Draft: “It was a tough decision, but I sat down with my mom and she told me what she told me and I made my decision off that. We saw where I was going to get drafted and my mom wanted me to get my education. I owe her that respect and we went from there.”

• Coley admitted the practices are more about competition and having fun under Richt. “We are out here competing with one another. Before, we talked trash, but it was limited. Now it is about having fun and competing. We are playing with more swag and going at it on every play.”

• DT Kendrick Norton is excited about the new scheme Miami will be running on their defensive line. “We have a simpler scheme that will allow us to play faster,” Norton said. “It is a one gap defense, so you fire off and get in your gap. He stresses that we need to get off the ball and use your hands. We are all excited about it.”

• OL Kc McDermott says it is hard to tell the difference between the new offensive line coach, Stacy Searels, and Art Kehoe after just one practice. “I would say the biggest difference right now is just the southern accent,” McDermott joked. “They both are intense and they both like to have fun.”

• LB Jermaine Grace is now listed at 6-feet-1 and 205 pounds on the latest official roster. On last year’s roster, Grace was listed at 6-feet-1 and 221 pounds. Grace is excited about the new defensive scheme because he will be able to blitz more and use his speed.

• DE Chad Thomas is now listed at 6-feet-6 and 265 pounds. On last year’s roster he was listed at 6-feet-5 and 275 pounds.

• RB Joseph Yearby is listed five pounds heavier, now up to 207 pounds.

• OL Kc McDermott has trimmed down. He is now listed at 6-feet-7 and 300 pounds. Last season he was listed at 6-feet-6 and 310 pounds.

• OL Danny Isidora is listed 15 pounds lighter since last season. He is now listed at 6-feet-4 and 310 pounds.

• DT Courtel Jenkins has gained nine pounds since last season and is now listed at 6-feet-2 and 320 pounds.

• DT Anthony Moten is listed 18 pounds heavier since last season. He is now listed at 6-feet-4 and 317 pounds.

• The official listed height and weight of the early enrollee freshmen linebackers: Zach McCloud (6-2, 220), Shaquille Quarterman (6-1, 245), and Michael Pinckney (6-1, 215).

• OL Sunny Odogwu was not out at practice.

• RB Gus Edwards was going through drills with the other running backs. Edwards fractured his foot during preseason camp of 2015. “Right now he is full go with no limitations unless something sets him back,” Richt said.

• LB Darrion Owens was the only player working out on the bike. Owens is recovering from a knee injury he sustained during the 2015 season.

Awesome stuff. Thanks.

Go Canes!

Awesome thanks! Thanks for quoting the whole long article just to add "thanks"!

I concur.

This is getting ridiculous.

On what he wants to work on this spring (PAP):

“Just getting back under center. My freshman year there was a lot under center, where last year we spread it out a little more. This is like my third different offense that I’ve been in so I am just getting back to under center work and play action, really fine tuning my footwork."

Funny, Ive been talking about the benefits of playing under center all season and offseason. But these Cumquads keep replying to my post telling me that it has no real advantages.

Dumb azzes that have never played in the front seven before. Glad kaaya realizes the importance of it and will be working on it; along with Richt calling it.

There is no benefit to being under center.. Not when the same **** play is run every time.

It is absolutely *stupefying* how incompetent the last staph was. I really don't know how a collection of coaches at this level couldve been so inept without actually trying to be so.

what?

Shut up. You have no idea what i'm talking about, clearly.

Kind of surprised Gordinier is starting LB.... if Owens was healthy it would be Grace, Owens and Gordinier.... he might be the player that ahocks a few people this year

Not a surprise imo. Kid is very athletic for a linebacker and it shouldn't be a surprise that he killed mat drills, hence the starting spot

He is not athletic. If you want to say he has good instincts OK but he is slow.

No one has really seen what the kid has to offer aside from a few highlight clips of him playing in high school. Who knows if this kid is athletic, or slow, or instinctual? I'm going into this season with an open mind on every player out there. Can't judge them off a failed regime.

Kind of surprised Gordinier is starting LB.... if Owens was healthy it would be Grace, Owens and Gordinier.... he might be the player that ahocks a few people this year

Being that the first depth chart is based on what they did during Matt drills I don't know why you would be surprised.

Advertisement

Not a surprise imo. Kid is very athletic for a linebacker and it shouldn't be a surprise that he killed mat drills, hence the starting spot

No one has really seen what the kid has to offer aside from a few highlight clips of him playing in high school. Who knows if this kid is athletic, or slow, or instinctual? I'm going into this season with an open mind on every player out there. Can't judge them off a failed regime.

TB!!! glad to see you post over here as well

On what he wants to work on this spring (PAP):

“Just getting back under center. My freshman year there was a lot under center, where last year we spread it out a little more. This is like my third different offense that I’ve been in so I am just getting back to under center work and play action, really fine tuning my footwork."

Funny, Ive been talking about the benefits of playing under center all season and offseason. But these Cumquads keep replying to my post telling me that it has no real advantages.

Dumb azzes that have never played in the front seven before. Glad kaaya realizes the importance of it and will be working on it; along with Richt calling it.

There is no benefit to being under center.. Not when the same **** play is run every time.

It is absolutely *stupefying* how incompetent the last staph was. I really don't know how a collection of coaches at this level couldve been so inept without actually trying to be so.

what?

Shut up. You have no idea what i'm talking about, clearly.

I was agreeing with you.

You need to work on your reading comprehension.

I

Get it together.

Is it really, though?

so they will try to convince everyone that golden didnt have a fair chance or the NCAA cloud was the reason golden couldnt succeed

I'll assume you've been to home games and have seen the troglodytes who make up a large portion of our fanbase.

It's 98% attributable to low IQ. Excessive stubbornness is also a sign of low IQ.

Advertisement

Is it really, though?

It's 98% attributable to low IQ. Excessive stubbornness is also a sign of low IQ.

this is true, people who often try to convince others of how smart they are, are probably not convinced themselves...

TB!!! glad to see you post over here as well

Every once in a while... It got a bit unbearable there with all the pro-Golden posts (and this coming from a poster that tried to give the previous staff time and the benefit of the doubt until the way we ended the 2014 season). I mostly just lurk here and there and m-h.com.

Last edited:

Agree to an extent. It really depends on the type of scheme you're running and what position you're playing. If you're a two down Linebacker that plays near the line of scrimmage, size counts. It's unfair to expect a 200 lb linebacker to stack and shed a 260 lb tight end or 300+lb tackle. Obviously, the coaches aren't asking this of Jermaine Grace and he's expected to play more of a hybrid LB/S position so I have no issue with him playing in the low 200 lb range. And you're right considering the amount of spread teams vs teams that run a traditional offense with a blocking tight end. The thing a lot of people misinterpret is weight gain=slow. That's not really the case. Some guys have a bigger frame that can handle extra muscle without losing quickness. Some guys might lose a quarter of a step but depending on what position they play, the benefits of being stronger may outweigh the lost step. Now, you don't want to do what the last staff did in forcing players to bulk up too much, too fast. That's how you end up with a slow team. However, controlled weight gain through added muscle mass won't hamper a top notch athlete. Look at the fastest sprinters in the world. Those guys aren't bulky but they certainly have quite a bit of muscle on their frames. If lean muscle slowed people down, every sprinter would more resemble marathon runners who have very little muscle on their frames.

He isn't playing a hybrid role. He is a wlb in the 4-3. Diaz base defense is 4-3 under and the wlb lines up behind the dt. So in this scheme he is fine because he will be protected by the dt.

Advertisement
Back