1997 Miami Hurricanes

Advertisement
So are you saying that washington team was no good? News flash to napoleon Kaufman

They were good. They had no business beating 2000 Miami.

Honestly I wouldn’t say they were great. They won 7 games by 7 points or less, vs a bad scedule.

Oregon State and Oregon were the only other 2 teams in the PAC to finish with a winning record that year. UW lost to Oregon, narrowly beat most of the PAC and narrowly beat a 3-8 Colorado team. Then they beat Purdue, one of the worst Rose Bowl teams of all time, by 10 points.

They really were not that great of a team.

Last edited:
Nobody should have been within 2 TDs of the 00 Miami team. It shouldn’t have come down to one stupid play and a a number of questionable at best officiating calls. (Yes, everybody knows the refs were favoring UW.)
I agree on paper nobody should've been on the field with us. However the game comes down to several matchups throughout the course of the game. It happens. We do our part in that game it's a different discussion. Butch as a game day coach left things to be desired. However it was minuscule ****. He did his part by that time.

I agree on paper nobody should've been on the field with us. However the game comes down to several matchups throughout the course of the game. It happens. We do our part in that game it's a different discussion. Butch as a game day coach left things to be desired. However it was minuscule ****. He did his part by that time.
@dsddcane....of course they won't mention the Beatdown Butch gave Spurrier in the Bowl Game....And would've Beat OU in the NC game...but like usual, no mention of that...

U think our defense did a good job that game? Cmon bruh. Ur making some good points. But if you think mandy didnt cost us these games this year also I question what u were watching. Our defense laid down any time it mattered this year. It was like spending Saturdays in costa Rica for our defense. Steady spreading em wide.
You do know one of the touchdowns FIU scored late in the game was given to them on purpose so Miami can get the ball back on offense to score and try and onside again? But to address your first question no the defense didn’t play well but I don’t know how many defenses do when they are given a short field to defend so many times. Being a coach and a player I understand that in most cases the defense feeds off of the offenses success and the offense played poorly Not converting on two 4th and one opportunities. Defense could have been better in some spots but overall I’m fine with the defense this year. And that’s my opinion which I’m in titled to.

Advertisement
The summer before the 99 season, Bowden said he hardly had to coach anymore, because if you have the fastest horses, you're going to win the dog-gone race. He was shocked, as were their fans, after we gave them a scare in 99. I was sitting surrounded by FSU fans, and they kept asking me, "Is that guy a senior?" They were very uncomfortable when I told them "freshman" and "sophomore" over and over. They were nice about it, but they were shocked. They all saw the writing on the wall, and they didn't like what it said.

By the time Bowden realized what was going on, it was too late. He'd win the title in 99, but he saw that he had slept on Miami, and it was going to bite him hard.

When Santana walked by their secondary and dropped a game changing touchdown, I knew we were close.

Losing that game sucked but you could tell we were loaded and college football was soon to be in serious trouble.

You do know one of the touchdowns FIU scored late in the game was given to them on purpose so Miami can get the ball back on offense to score and try and onside again? But to address your first question no the defense didn’t play well but I don’t know how many defenses do when they are given a short field to defend so many times. Being a coach and a player I understand that in most cases the defense feeds off of the offenses success and the offense played poorly Not converting on two 4th and one opportunities. Defense could have been better in some spots but overall I’m fine with the defense this year. And that’s my opinion which I’m in titled to.
If you were fine with our Defense this yr...I Cringe to think of your Coaching...

Lol. Yup I understand both sides of that coin. I also understand the struggles began from the first quarter on in all our losses. I'm pretty aware how the game goes too but I appreciate the lesson. I guess I paid a lil attention between college and the nfl. Meetings once or twice and all. Plenty of times the offense put us in bad spots. However when you're playing the girls ymca and you start on a supposedly dominant defense at the university of Miami a short field is a real ****** excuse. But you are right. You are entitled to ur opinion.

Advertisement
Lol. Yup I understand both sides of that coin. I also understand the struggles began from the first quarter on in all our losses. I'm pretty aware how the game goes too but I appreciate the lesson. I guess I paid a lil attention between college and the nfl. Meetings once or twice and all. Plenty of times the offense put us in bad spots. However when you're playing the girls ymca and you start on a supposedly dominant defense at the university of Miami a short field is a real ****** excuse. But you are right. You are entitled to ur opinion.
you miss me with the YMCA THING. Not sure if you are being sarcastic in your response when you say “ a little college/ NFL.” and I’m not trying to give you a lesson my apologies if I came off arrogant and based on prior conversation with you you know your football so I hope you really do understand where I’m coming from. All of a sudden since we picked up D’Eric king Miami fans think we’re gonna be dominant based on lashlee offensive scheme and ALL OF A SUDDEN GOOD DEFENSE WE HAVE Being top 25 in the country. To me top 25 isn’t bad we just performed bad on offense obviously if we had some productivity on offense maybe we are better than 25th in the country on defense 🤷🏽‍♂️

When Santana walked by their secondary and dropped a game changing touchdown, I knew we were close.

Losing that game sucked but you could tell we were loaded and college football was soon to be in serious trouble.
I have never left a game where we lost and the winning fans looked like they had lost. Only that 1999 FSU game. Their fans were shook.

you miss me with the YMCA THING. Not sure if you are being sarcastic in your response when you say “ a little college/ NFL.” and I’m not trying to give you a lesson my apologies if I came off arrogant and based on prior conversation with you you know your football so I hope you really do understand where I’m coming from. All of a sudden since we picked up D’Eric king Miami fans think we’re gonna be dominant based on lashlee offensive scheme and ALL OF A SUDDEN GOOD DEFENSE WE HAVE Being top 25 in the country. To me top 25 isn’t bad we just performed bad on offense obviously if we had some productivity on offense maybe we are better than 25th in the country on defense 🤷🏽‍♂️
Our Defense was NOT good last yr....As bad as a 3rd down D that I've seen at UM....No Gap integrity...LBers completely lost in space...

Advertisement
Not sure if I want to go back and fourth with you. You can’t have a conversation with out being condescending.
No....I refuse to sugar coat anything....I need absolutely No lessons in what a Real UM Defense looks like...God only knows I've seen enough of them...

Advertisement
No....I refuse to sugar coat anything....I need absolutely No lessons in what a Real UM Defense looks like...God only knows I've seen enough of them...
Dude the offense constantly put The defense in a bind all year. The North Carolina game ****ed me off for the 4th and 17 and the last touchdown. Defense has gotta get a stop in those two situations. However if HIGHTOWER catches the god dam ball to keep the drive going In the fourth quarter this situation don’t happen meanwhile he left the team and went in the portal because he wasn’t happy. THATS WHY When you get the opportunity to make plays you gotta MAKE THEM!

Dude the offense constantly put The defense in a bind all year. The North Carolina game ****ed me off for the 4th and 17 and the last touchdown. Defense has gotta get a stop in those two situations. However if HIGHTOWER catches the god dam ball to keep the drive going In the fourth quarter this situation don’t happen meanwhile he left the team and went in the portal because he wasn’t happy. THATS WHY When you get the opportunity to make plays you gotta MAKE THEM!
Ball hit him right in the hands

I understand what you're saying. Obviously it's a team game for a reason. Both sides of the ball are affected by the other. BUT I wasnt being sarcastic about the ymca. A defense doesnt need as many excuses as are being provided if it's a genuine top 25 d. I'm a realist. We played no one and racked up the stats we did against people that if the defense truly was dominant wouldnt score. Anyone can see our issues on both sides of the ball began and ended with line play. Our offense was a joke because our line couldnt hold up at all. As a result the play calling was altered from atleast being competent to being a joke. On defense our tackle play was atrocious and as a result our secondary was left in space. None of our corners thrive in isolation and the one that does I cant even speak on it with how inconsistent if not bad his play was. When you have Robert knowles getting as much burn as he did you gotta expect the middle of the field to get exposed on the regular as well. None of that was because they were playing tired or on a short field. It was match ups getting exposed from lack of talent AND schematics. Far as our offense goes itll be better but I think people dont really understand the lashlee hire for what it is. Long as he brings a attitude to the field of toughness and accountability itll be an improvement. Especially if accountability begins with coaching.

Advertisement
Back