1997 Miami Hurricanes

Ball hit him right in the hands
Its amusing how you preach accountability with my nephew on one of the few plays he ever got the opportunity to make here. But you are right and anyone knows it. He definitely needs to make a simple catch like that. Crazy how people always speak on that yet never mention all the numerous times balls were bouncing off other recievers or that someone couldve made a play all around the field to get a different outcome.

Advertisement
you miss me with the YMCA THING. Not sure if you are being sarcastic in your response when you say “ a little college/ NFL.” and I’m not trying to give you a lesson my apologies if I came off arrogant and based on prior conversation with you you know your football so I hope you really do understand where I’m coming from. All of a sudden since we picked up D’Eric king Miami fans think we’re gonna be dominant based on lashlee offensive scheme and ALL OF A SUDDEN GOOD DEFENSE WE HAVE Being top 25 in the country. To me top 25 isn’t bad we just performed bad on offense obviously if we had some productivity on offense maybe we are better than 25th in the country on defense 🤷🏽‍♂️
I'm curious. Where do you coach high school at? I'm curious if the team is competitive. If you play in a region that produces real talent. I refuse to see you cant understand the irony in what you're saying. Great the defense couldve been ranked better piling up those states against some of the worst football teams in all of the country AND STILL LOSING TO THEM! bruh cmon.

I understand what you're saying. Obviously it's a team game for a reason. Both sides of the ball are affected by the other. BUT I wasnt being sarcastic about the ymca. A defense doesnt need as many excuses as are being provided if it's a genuine top 25 d. I'm a realist. We played no one and racked up the stats we did against people that if the defense truly was dominant wouldnt score. Anyone can see our issues on both sides of the ball began and ended with line play. Our offense was a joke because our line couldnt hold up at all. As a result the play calling was altered from atleast being competent to being a joke. On defense our tackle play was atrocious and as a result our secondary was left in space. None of our corners thrive in isolation and the one that does I cant even speak on it with how inconsistent if not bad his play was. When you have Robert knowles getting as much burn as he did you gotta expect the middle of the field to get exposed on the regular as well. None of that was because they were playing tired or on a short field. It was match ups getting exposed from lack of talent AND schematics. Far as our offense goes itll be better but I think people dont really understand the lashlee hire for what it is. Long as he brings a attitude to the field of toughness and accountability itll be an improvement. Especially if accountability begins with coaching.
good stuff. I agree about the competition I didn’t factor that in. I thought knowles was decent and I’m glad he persevered the way people was $hitting on him.

Really??....Between 97 and 98 Butch had to deal with 17 loss of schollies....what was Goldens excuse in 14 and 15??

It wasn’t even close. Granted, there wasn’t social media back then but I don’t recall people having Butch nearly as much as people hated Golden.

Its amusing how you preach accountability with my nephew on one of the few plays he ever got the opportunity to make here. But you are right and anyone knows it. He definitely needs to make a simple catch like that. Crazy how people always speak on that yet never mention all the numerous times balls were bouncing off other recievers or that someone couldve made a play all around the field to get a different outcome.
When you get opportunities you got to capitalize on them in order for coaches to have confidence in you. When I played in college at times I played nervous because I was afraid to make a mistake. I punished people in practice But at times blew my opportunity for more reps cuz I made mistakes which led to lack of trust by coaches. As far as the other receivers dropping balls which did happen as a fan it bothered me because fans and podcasters who were familiar with these players in high school like pope Hartley Wiggins talked about how great they were but I just didn’t see it. Maybe it was them not being coached up or maybe it was all hype.

Advertisement
I'm curious. Where do you coach high school at? I'm curious if the team is competitive. If you play in a region that produces real talent. I refuse to see you cant understand the irony in what you're saying. Great the defense couldve been ranked better piling up those states against some of the worst football teams in all of the country AND STILL LOSING TO THEM! bruh cmon.
no I understand your point about the competition thing you make total sense. If we played better teams the statistics might have been worse defensively. I coach football in the north and their are a lot of reasons why football where I’m from is not as good as where your from in Florida. However I think it can be great if the administration in schools cared. They just don’t care about it down here like they do where your at which makes me angry because it’s a great game and teaches life lessons. The CTE thing is scaring parents away too. For years the most kids I average on my team is 29-31 kids on varsity and when they miss practice or act up in school it’s hard to punish them or turn them away cuz we’re limited with numbers. I wish I was in the south where you get 60-70 kids so when a kid becomes a problem I could turn him away but our hands are tied

Guys on that team I liked a lot:

-I thought Dyral McMillan was underrated and ran hard before Edge being Edge took over. When Edge started to run you just immediately knew he would be a star.

-loved Mercier and Ty Wise. Guys were both undersized but so so tough and productive. They would have been our best OL last year.

-I always thought Covington, with his skill set, deserved more patience and playing time than Clement, whom Coker/Butch preferred probably because he seemed tougher.

-Denny Fortney always annoyed me. He had this barbed wire tattoo on his arm at a time when tattoos weren't highly prevalent and it looked cheesy to me because he sucked. Fake tough guy stuff.

-Wayne had a great year, and while his statistics didn't improve too much over his career all the little things he was getting better at each game/season.

-Couldn't stand Leonard Myers. Thought he was overrated despite his hype. Starks was a steal out of JC. Easily the best cb.

-Fulcher was another eventual underrated tight end who gets forgotten. Very solid tight end.

-Butch always had a lot of those rock solid players. People always comment on the stars and hall of famers but he would get the Ty Wise/Merciers/Fulchers and guys like Markese Fitgerald or James Lewis who were very good at what they did, but got forgotten. Very little actual filler and ***** boys on those teams.

-Specific to '97, it hurt a lot. That 47-0 loss to FSU killed me back then. I used to take losses so hard to the point that growing up my parents had to calm me down. So that season crushed me.

-One more addition: Butch had (and still has) his game day issues but man: we haven't had teams as mentally tough as those kids back then. Even that depleted 5-6 team played so hard and tried their best. That effort and intensity blew away anything we've seen for the past 15 years. Like it or not.

-I always thought Derrick Ham would be better than he became, too. Guy was a specimen from what I can remember.
T Mack too. He was killing it, but couldn’t kick the booze. He was one of the best athletes this program ever had.

I understood the roster limitations Butch was working under and the program bottomed out in 1997. 1998 and 1999 were better but losses to ECU were difficult to understand. The 66-13 loss at Syracuse in 1998 was a new bottom, but then Miami upset UCLA. You could sense the program was close to breaking through.

They were good. They had no business beating 2000 Miami.

Honestly I wouldn’t say they were great. They won 7 games by 7 points or less, vs a bad scedule.

Oregon State and Oregon were the only other 2 teams in the PAC to finish with a winning record that year. UW lost to Oregon, narrowly beat most of the PAC and narrowly beat a 3-8 Colorado team. Then they beat Purdue, one of the worst Rose Bowl teams of all time, by 10 points.

They really were not that great of a team.

By that logic Alabama should never lose a game.

Underdogs should never win.

Going undefeated in college football is a monumental task. ****, we have more national titles than undefeated seasons.

When you are good and have a rep, everybody gives you their A+ game. Nobody can play A+ football week in, week out indefinitely.

Dropping a hard fought road game 2000 miles from home after a poor first half is nothing to be ashamed of. Washington was a top 5 team. We split a Natty with them and they had some very strong squads in the late 80s- early 2000s.

I really don’t get your take.

Advertisement

Going undefeated in college football is a monumental task. ****, we have more national titles than undefeated seasons.

When you are good and have a rep, everybody gives you their A+ game. Nobody can play A+ football week in, week out indefinitely.

Dropping a hard fought road game 2000 miles from home after a poor first half is nothing to be ashamed of. Washington was a top 5 team. We split a Natty with them and they had some very strong squads in the late 80s- early 2000s.

Laughable....

Alabama has never had a roster like the 00 Miami Hurricanes.

I can guarantee with 100% certainty that Saban would have been able to go undefeated with the 2000 Miami team.

Advertisement
Alabama has never had a roster like the 00 Miami Hurricanes.

I can guarantee with 100% certainty that Saban would have been able to go undefeated with the 2000 Miami team. FSU is the only game I can imagine him winning by less than 4 TDs.
Ya mean this Saban at a Butch FB Camp?
DCDUknRUQAEuYRM.jpg

Advertisement
Coaches meet each other all the time. Nothing meaningful at all.
Saban is close friends with Butch (as I have been for 24yrs)...Saban has said on many occasions he coaches with a Butch Davis mentality.....(Btw..that is a FIU FB Camp....and Btw...when Saban was at MSU Butch invited him down to watch practices...Now go F yourself again...this time alittle Deeper...

Saban is close friends with Butch (as I have been for 24yrs)...Saban has said in many occasions he coaches with a Butch Davis mentality.....Now go F yourself again...this time alittle Deeper...

Link to where Saban said that?

Advertisement
Back