1997 Miami Hurricanes

The FSU game was rough....it was one of the very few times I went into that game as a fan knowing, 100%, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that we were going to lose and lose big. Don't think I even made it to halftime before leaving the TV and doing something else.
FSU game was real tough, but i knew we were headed in right direction...... today with CMD/James group and weak BOT
we are what we are a mid tier ACC Coastal team....... just cashing checks...

Advertisement
Butch had both arms and one leg cut off by the NCAA, brought in a bunch of "who?!?" kids and played them, results were rough but progress was happening, meanwhile our fan base paid to have a "From National Champs to National Chumps. Thanks, Butch" banner flown over the OB on game days, because it was surely all Butch's fault. That about sums it up. I was a freshman living in MRC.

FSU game was real tough, but i knew we were headed in right direction...... today with CMD/James group and weak BOT
we are what we are a mid tier ACC Coastal team....... just cashing checks...

You know what, no offense but I am really, really tired of hearing about Blake James, the BOT and others. Let me know when David Epstein suits up at QB for us, gets wasted the night before the game and can't move the ball against FIU, then maybe I'll blame him and his colleagues more.

You know what, no offense but I am really, really tired of hearing about Blake James, the BOT and others. Let me know when David Epstein suits up at QB for us, gets wasted the night before the game and can't move the ball against FIU, then maybe I'll blame him and his colleagues more.
none taken, we have been flat out mediocre for 15 years and victim of poor HC choices leading to a revolving door at HC level.
lack of investment when game was exploding as BOT/SR.mgmt used program as cash cow for U health that is still hemorrhaging money. turnover at football staff level leads to below average player development....recruiting is stable but development is not. Blake's nation wide searched which was over in what 20 minutes that resulted in paying Temple 4.5M$
and the length and cost CMD's contract is an example of unsound decision making by Blake, that the BOT signed off on!!!
do not come back with we have no money routine ACC$$, BCS$$$, Adidas 95$.
remember we could have had Butch...loved the way he schooled young CMD and his pack of GA's or Dan Mullen as well.
15 years shows me issues run deeper than CMD....

97 was my second year at Miami. Everyone thought Butch SUCKED. Dude called crappy games. Would insist on running the ball despite it getting shut down in most games. I guess the joke was on us, because he had talent. Unfortunately, James Jackson didn’t last under that kind of brutality.

Advertisement

Three different 4 star QBs on the roster and you aren’t blaming Enos, or the guy that hired him or the guy that hired his boss?

Advertisement
This is nonsense. Guys like Epstein want to be central to the hiring process rather than give the final sign off. They are the ones that don't want a strong leader as AD instead of someone that they delegate power to and allow to drive the process. While I am sure he is a successful business man, why should he have any say on anything besides a final thumbs up on a candidate an AD chooses.

They are the one that gave the green light to a 6 hour coaching search. They are the ones that are lowering the bar and standards despite the catchy hashtag of #buildingChampions. They are the ones allowing Blake James to feel comfortable despite running the athletics program into the ground. They, incidentally, are also the ones that chose Julio Frenk who is running the academic side into the ground. They were also the ones that gave a thumbs up to the coach that allowed this culture to fester and the coach before him who recruited these misses.

Do you think Hilarie Bass would have allowed Greenberg Traurig to operate like this? They didn't serve the drinks the night before the games, but they certainly hired the AD and head coach who created an environment where these guys thought this was ok and would go unpunished.

I guess we needed to be more specific when we said we wanted Butch to come back to Miami.

He has.

Just to another team in the city.

PLAIN AND SIMPLE, BUTCH DAVIS saved this program. We had a better team in 1998 compared to now.

Advertisement
@k9cane ...remember BanditCane??...Dude had every UM game imaginable...

no, I never dealt with him. But for years, I looked for missing parts of the 91 game that were cut away from because of the Anita Hill/Clarence Thomas trial( the ABC affiliate cut away for the Kevin Williams punt return and the Horace Copeland deep post for TDs).... I was ****ed that day lol. But hey, Canes won

Advertisement
no, I never dealt with him. But for years, I looked for missing parts of the 91 game that were cut away from because of the Anita Hill/Clarence Thomas trial( the ABC affiliate cut away for the Kevin Williams punt return and the Horace Copeland deep post for TDs).... I was ****ed that day lol. But hey, Canes won
Lol...I remember that...

Advertisement
Back