11/28 Rutgers @7:15 (ESPNU)

Darius Rice was coked out of his mind and hammered when he said that. That’s like saying Waardenburg is a good player. That’s like me saying I’m a positive poster on gamedays.

It doesn't mean Gak has a great chance to play in the league. I see it as more of an indictment of the rest of the roster. But, realistically, Dewan is the only guy on the roster who has ever had NBA prospects and who knows if he was even part of the practices Rice watched. So to say Gak has a better chance to make it in the NBA than Amp, Lykes, DJ, Sam, Johnson... that's probably true.

Advertisement
It doesn't mean Gak has a great chance to play in the league. I see it as more of an indictment of the rest of the roster. But, realistically, Dewan is the only guy on the roster who has ever had NBA prospects and who knows if he was even part of the practices Rice watched. So to say Gak has a better chance to make it in the NBA than Amp, Lykes, DJ, Sam, Johnson... that's probably true.
Gak’s best attribute is defense and he has a ways to go still. Sorry to be the negative guy but he has zero chance.

Figures Izundu would cramp the night he didn’t get into early foul trouble (although I suppose they could be related...).
Anyone know what was up with Mack? I didn’t see him warm up or on the bench. Huell only showed up on the bench midway through the second half.

That was painful to watch. No energy. No depth.

Despite lapses on defense, they only scored 57. Our shooting was atrocious and you could tell people were pressing (hero ball). That said, I think comparing Lykes to Newton is going way too far. He had a bad game.

Like many here, I'll never understand why UM is sitting Dewan. Who cares if we have to vacate wins later? Risk/reward says play him. Our administration is an abomination.

I’m sure a lot of people would agree that Lykes is starting to get on their nerves after the last few games. Way too out of control, horrible shot selection, dumb turnovers, and silly fouls. Obviously, this guy doesn’t agree.
He’s defintley more of an off ball guy it helped last year with walker handling the ball ... but he’s definitely taken a. Step back man

Advertisement
@Gables Canes you are a fan still after seeing him play like Newton lately? It’s only gonna get worse especially when the competition picks up.
Tonight was an awful performance by him, but our lack of set plays on offense doesn’t help the cause. I’m not willing to group him into the newton category yet, but he’s definitely forcing it out there

You're right he us a GREAT coach and you are clueless
Figures Izundu would cramp the night he didn’t get into early foul trouble (although I suppose they could be related...).
Anyone know what was up with Mack? I didn’t see him warm up or on the bench. Huell only showed up on the bench midway through the second half.
Mack was sick. Huell was out there for the warmups before the 2nd half and on benchthe whole 2nd half.

Mack was sick. Huell was out there for the warmups before the 2nd half and on benchthe whole 2nd half.
Thanks for the info on Mack. I was hoping it was something like that rather than a suspension/dismissal situation.

It's pretty sad how stale this program has become in such a short amount of time. Coach L is 69 and I honestly have no idea how much more he has left in the tank at this point. Recruiting is solid, and while we'll grab a couple of Top 100 kids here and there, it's hard to be a perennial Top 15-20 program unless you recruit like Duke/Kansas/Kentucky or develop guys like Mark Few at Gonzaga or Beilein at Michigan.

Between transfers (Palmer), kids getting booted (Wilson), issues with the NCAA (Huell) and overall mismanaged recruiting, we haven't exactly put ourselves in a position to be successful over these next few years.

Advertisement
So everything wrong with the football team is because of the coaches. Everything wrong with the basketball team, though? Nothing Coach L can do.

CIS gonna CIS.

I don't understand how you can think L sucks, but think Richt is good. I can understand if you dislike both coaches, but liking the inferior coach doesn't really make sense.

Advertisement
It's pretty sad how stale this program has become in such a short amount of time. Coach L is 69 and I honestly have no idea how much more he has left in the tank at this point. Recruiting is solid, and while we'll grab a couple of Top 100 kids here and there, it's hard to be a perennial Top 15-20 program unless you recruit like Duke/Kansas/Kentucky or develop guys like Mark Few at Gonzaga or Beilein at Michigan.

Between transfers (Palmer), kids getting booted (Wilson), issues with the NCAA (Huell) and overall mismanaged recruiting, we haven't exactly put ourselves in a position to be successful over these next few years.
I was going to respond to this but then I saw who it was and remembered that he wanted Devan Reed to graduate, so nevermind

I didn't understand how we could be 11.5 point favorites, given our caliber. But if you are 11.5 point favorites it means the other side blows and you better **** sure win the game.

Rutgers in shootaround was tall and long but not particularly impressive. Same throughout the game. I have no idea how we jumped out 13-5 -- or whatever it was -- and then stalled for basically the remainder of the game other than a nice run once down 32-24.

I kept thinking that if Newton were still here and doing what Lykes was doing tonight, the condemnation would fill 40 pages and a half dozen threads. What a miserable out of control performance. He had a 3 pointer blocked with ease and then swooped up. That technically wasn't a turnover but it might as well have been. The defender's biggest problem was not to laugh.

Lykes is basically the only guy who can create his own shot. I have no idea why he spends so much time looking for 3 pointers or his patented careless passes when he can fake a penetration and then pull up at the free throw line or thereabouts. He only did that once tonight and had an open 15 footer.

The swing players are not the caliber we have had recently. That is a huge factor. This Zach Johnson guy should go back to golf. I remember he made the Masters boring one year.

We had a 5-2 edge in fouls midway through the second half but never really tried to take advantage of that.

Key possession was when we led 47-44 and owned the ball. Score there and we might dictate the remainder of the game. But we didn't understand the significance. Then that 0 guy on Rutgers took control again. I could tell he would be a pest. Easily the most confident guy on the floor tonight.

Lawrence had the hero swing but I had the perfect angle and as soon as he let it go it had no chance.

Advertisement
And you too have no idea how this works.

I have more of an idea than the mouth breathers that actually believe that Compliance is actively trying to ***** a student-athlete. The fact that we have a fanbase that is so incredibly paranoid, that they have these beliefs, despite mountains of evidence to the contrary, is alarming. The NCAA is doing what they do best, and that's take their sweet time. An organization that was accountable to someone, anyone would have cleared this up a long time ago. Dewan's family should be saber rattling with an attorney, but that hasn't happened yet.

Mismanaged recruiting? Miami got basically jobbed out of having a class last year, thanks to the FBI nonsense. L could have taken bodies, just to take them, but that wouldn't have helped the program this year, nor would it have helped down the road. Miami, with Hernandez back is a competitive team. That said, this year's class appears to be a significant step up, but work remains to be done.

By the way, Palmer transferred because he wasn't going to get playing time here. What is any coach supposed to do when a guy is the odd man out at his position? Put a gun to his head and MAKE him stay and warm the bench? Reed was the unquestioned leader of the team, Bruce Brown was a hotshot freshman with a similar skill set and Anthony Lawrence could do more than Palmer, and had taken his minutes.

It's far too early to be bailing on L, especially seeing that Miami basketball has never been this consistently competitive.

Advertisement
Back