1) Get JJ in has Chairman of the Board of Directors of the football program...

We have a better chance of hiring Howard to an official position with the school than Jimmy. These threads never disappoint though!

Advertisement
No, you cut it about his age. Saban is over 70 as well but tell me you'd object to his age if terror he announced he was ready for a new challenge and wanted the job. Kiffin shouldn't be allowed with 500 miles of this program. That would be an ncaa dream because they'd finally have the chance to give us the death penalty they've been so desparately sniffing around over 30 years for like Bloodhounds. And it would be legit with him here.
Consider what Butch did with NCAA restrictions and what he could do with full scholarships available. Even Coker had two successful years after Butch

Advertisement
2) Get former players to sit on this football advisory board as well to oversee the football program.

3) Hire a real athletic director with actual experience

4) Then hire a football coach that knows how to develop players and teach technique

The coach reports to the athletic director but has quarterly meetings with the Football Board of Directors.

Former players that want to be involved can assist the board or the coaching staff when requested to deal with pressing problems.

Goal setting for all facets of coaching will be set by the board, like recruiting goals, team performance metrics, etc.

Start attacking the problems that are at the root cause of the problems.

If we can't land a Mario Cristobal then go get a transition coach like Butch Davis who we know can work with this group of people. Mario would possibly be interested if he saw this kind of commitment to the football program after 20 years of disaster. Attack the problems, get rid of Manny now and get these things in place immediately or sit around and do nothing, either way the Board of Trustees can't have any more to do with the football program, they have failed repeatedly and should stick to whatever it is they do know, because it ain't football!
A hilarious read. The only comment that makes sense is 3). Hire a real athletic director. Jimmy? You must be kidding .. JJ was burned out with football when he quit the Miami Dolphins. He is now chilling in the Keys enjoying fishing, dining, and his NFL color jobs. No pressure .. he is retired and wouldn't touch any sort of "management" position related to UM football. Butch?? For interim HC?? Crazy. For the month of November simply put Jess Simpson in the interim HC position while the search committee vets a variety of candidates and a hire is make.

no you are correct on early interaction down in Islamaorada, but you gotta think if times get tough and they have been is there a better sounding board than JJ?...... if i was HC at Miami, he would be as active in program as he wanted
I understand your perspective, bring back a former winner and have him chime in until things begin to have the same look and feel.
Although I do not disagree, I can’t imagine JJ understands the new climate of college ball, if you told me JJ was consulting throughout the country at big league college programs and understood the climate, I‘d agree with you 100%, but I don’t think the man has his hand on the pulse in that way.
UM football I’d say has built a terrible foundation, and we are nearing the penthouse floor with a new foreman at every 3rd/4th floor. There were some great moments, and we picked up some steam here and there but ultimately, same results.….the culture Manny spoke of that needed to be uprooted, I believe that to be true, our defense looked decent and hailed in comparison to our offense while he was a coordinator. There was some semblance of an identity on the D, so bringing the entire team up to speed somewhat made sense when Manny spoke to it when first hired. Unfortunately, it’s my belief that identity is something that has to be identified much further up the chain. Coaches will constantly come in promising the glory land and want to impart their philosophy (dare I say Pillars of ****) every few years, but where is the constant? Who’s holding us to that identity?
Hire someone to oversee the ENTIRETY of what this team will look like for the next decade, approach the coach or coaches to meet that goal.

Sorry for the rant, waiting for a teams meeting to conclude and I‘m bored as ****.

I understand your perspective, bring back a former winner and have him chime in until things begin to have the same look and feel.
Although I do not disagree, I can’t imagine JJ understands the new climate of college ball, if you told me JJ was consulting throughout the country at big league college programs and understood the climate, I‘d agree with you 100%, but I don’t think the man has his hand on the pulse in that way.
UM football I’d say has built a terrible foundation, and we are nearing the penthouse floor with a new foreman at every 3rd/4th floor. There were some great moments, and we picked up some steam here and there but ultimately, same results.….the culture Manny spoke of that needed to be uprooted, I believe that to be true, our defense looked decent and hailed in comparison to our offense while he was a coordinator. There was some semblance of an identity on the D, so bringing the entire team up to speed somewhat made sense when Manny spoke to it when first hired. Unfortunately, it’s my belief that identity is something that has to be identified much further up the chain. Coaches will constantly come in promising the glory land and want to impart their philosophy (dare I say Pillars of ****) every few years, but where is the constant? Who’s holding us to that identity?
Hire someone to oversee the ENTIRETY of what this team will look like for the next decade, approach the coach or coaches to meet that goal.

Sorry for the rant, waiting for a teams meeting to conclude and I‘m bored as ****.
It has been reported on multiple occasions that many college HC's make their way done to JJ's place in the keys , as well as many NFL guys JJ's still got it and would make a great resource. JJ 's not looking for a full time role as an AD at the U
changing HC's without structural change is tantamount to rinse and repeat which pretty much epitomizes last 15+ years
CMD not so much very, very light resume for a HC at a program like Miami. sure the D looked good initially but OC across ACC have it figured out and the results show this year and last. Player development is substandard as well. Hire a competent AD, let him hire at the HC and give him the money to recruit a staff that can recruit and develop. Everyone must be aligned from President to BOT to AD to HC on true goals of football program. Lets face it before we began our magical run we were know as suntan U.sometimes i think our success during the 80'-2001 has created among new players sort of an attitude of couple years at South Beach and on to big dollars on Sunday. we do not seem to have the passion that once defined the program.
hey 1 good rant deserves another GO CANES

Advertisement
A hilarious read. The only comment that makes sense is 3). Hire a real athletic director. Jimmy? You must be kidding .. JJ was burned out with football when he quit the Miami Dolphins. He is now chilling in the Keys enjoying fishing, dining, and his NFL color jobs. No pressure .. he is retired and wouldn't touch any sort of "management" position related to UM football. Butch?? For interim HC?? Crazy. For the month of November simply put Jess Simpson in the interim HC position while the search committee vets a variety of candidates and a hire is make.
Butch would be a transition coach not an interim coach, someone to set the foundation, you aren't getting anyone of quality to take this job at this point, you are selling garbage, an athletic department of losers and a President that can't even run a university correctly and admits he knows nothing about sports.

Its funny how everyone reads their own stuff into the original post. JJ heads an oversight board as its chairman, it doesn't interfere with his 20 days of fishing a year and gets him involved with something he loves. Old guys are flattered to be on boards, and chairman of an oversight of the football program at UM would be a great honor for Jimmy.

All these suggestions are based on us having to think outside the box because we don't fit in the boxes of today's game. We did it our way in the past, now we have followers that think we will compete with Bama by doing it Bama's way, not gonna happen. What do we have better than anyone in college football? A recent, albeit aging, history of winning. A hotbed of skill position players in our backyard. The city of Miami. Those are our selling points along with more guys in recent history going into the Pro Football HOF than anyone else. You utilize your assets and minimize your liabilities, if you want to win. If you want to watch another foolish episode of a 6-hour job search to hire a DC as your HC and pay someone $4MM to get him then you are in luck without a complete paradigm shift for this program, this athletic department and this school. Changes at HC, AD and President of the University should all be happening by the end of this season/school year.

Butch would be a transition coach not an interim coach, someone to set the foundation, you aren't getting anyone of quality to take this job at this point, you are selling garbage, an athletic department of losers and a President that can't even run a university correctly and admits he knows nothing about sports.

Its funny how everyone reads their own stuff into the original post. JJ heads an oversight board as its chairman, it doesn't interfere with his 20 days of fishing a year and gets him involved with something he loves. Old guys are flattered to be on boards, and chairman of an oversight of the football program at UM would be a great honor for Jimmy.

All these suggestions are based on us having to think outside the box because we don't fit in the boxes of today's game. We did it our way in the past, now we have followers that think we will compete with Bama by doing it Bama's way, not gonna happen. What do we have better than anyone in college football? A recent, albeit aging, history of winning. A hotbed of skill position players in our backyard. The city of Miami. Those are our selling points along with more guys in recent history going into the Pro Football HOF than anyone else. You utilize your assets and minimize your liabilities, if you want to win. If you want to watch another foolish episode of a 6-hour job search to hire a DC as your HC and pay someone $4MM to get him then you are in luck without a complete paradigm shift for this program, this athletic department and this school. Changes at HC, AD and President of the University should all be happening by the end of this season/school year.
Butch as a transition coach? You are on serious drugs. The man is on the verge of being fired by FIU. The "interim head coach" would most likely be Jess Simpson .. already ON staff .. and well respected by players and colleagues. He does have some HC experience at the high school in Georgia that is similar to an IMG Academy (special athletic training programs). His HS recored was 164-12 .. and he took his team to 10 straight State Championships. Guy knows his stuff .. and Richt used him to run DL coaching clinics at Georgia when Richt was the HC there. As far as JJ .. call it what you want .. but him coming in IN ANY CAPACITY .. especially Chairman of The Board??? There is INFERRED RESPONSIBILITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY .. it's not some "honorary position" .. he would be expected to perform a serious function and JJ has NO reason to take on that type of task at this point in his career. Search committee member .. to make comments on candidates .. maybe.

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned in this thread, but remember Manny visited JJ not long after he got the job and was reported he took notes. If Manny wrote them on paper, they must have wound up like Peno’s play sheet in the pouring rain at Dook.

Advertisement
He’d have to write his name and title on a 4 ft 2x4 for his desk with that job title..😜

Advertisement
Back