1) Get JJ in has Chairman of the Board of Directors of the football program...

Just what I expected, the dumbest fans ever responding to my post as usual.

I said transition coach like Butch Davis, we have sunk to the depths you idiots, and Lane Kiffin is about as undisciplined as anyone could be, short of Dennis Erickson!

Why would JJ want it, oh, I don't know because it is an honor for him to be involved with his greatest love of his coaching career! Why do people take Chairman of the Board positions in their 70's and 80's, BECAUSE THEY ARE AN HONOR TO PARTICIPATE!!! Of course no one responding has ever been on a board so they wouldn't understand. The position is not a full-time gig but it is a chain of accountability that this team and athletic department clearly do not have.

You build something different from other programs because you can't do things the same way as everyone else, that's how Miami became great and that is the kind of thinking that you have to have to accomplish great things. But keep coming up with only money solutions and you will be disappointed every time because we don't have the money to compete like that so to try and do so is a recipe for failure.

How do you get a guy like Mario interested in a job like that? By putting people in positions like this that show a commitment to excellence and the proper support structure, oh and they are people he respects immensely! I am not surprised our Board of Trustees is this incompetent because the posters responding to this idea appear to be as creatively challenged. Keep thinking inside the box boys, you will end up with another Manny and another 20 years of nothingness!

Advertisement
He’s retired and makes millions working one day a week. This is never happening.

No other program has a CEO of the football team - they just make the right coaching hire and have competent ADs.

These stopgap measures won’t work. Fix the athletic department, and THAT’s how you fix the football program.

Jimmy Johnson is 78 years old and hasn’t coached in college football since 1988.

People need to get a grip with thinking he could realistically come in and help turn around the program in a nebulous administrative/advisory role.

Thinking Tired GIF - Thinking Tired Exhausted - Discover & Share GIFs

Jaquan Johnson was great and all but I don’t think he should be responsible for overseeing the entire program just yet.

Advertisement
A “Football Advisory Council” sounds as gimmicky as the BS position they created for Ed Reed.

Keep it simple… hire the right AD and HC.
The He Man woman Haters loyal order of water Buffaloes advisory council on football

Last edited:

I said transition coach like Butch Davis, we have sunk to the depths you idiots, and Lane Kiffin is about as undisciplined as anyone could be, short of Dennis Erickson!

Why would JJ want it, oh, I don't know because it is an honor for him to be involved with his greatest love of his coaching career! Why do people take Chairman of the Board positions in their 70's and 80's, BECAUSE THEY ARE AN HONOR TO PARTICIPATE!!! Of course no one responding has ever been on a board so they wouldn't understand. The position is not a full-time gig but it is a chain of accountability that this team and athletic department clearly do not have.

You build something different from other programs because you can't do things the same way as everyone else, that's how Miami became great and that is the kind of thinking that you have to have to accomplish great things. But keep coming up with only money solutions and you will be disappointed every time because we don't have the money to compete like that so to try and do so is a recipe for failure.

How do you get a guy like Mario interested in a job like that? By putting people in positions like this that show a commitment to excellence and the proper support structure, oh and they are people he respects immensely! I am not surprised our Board of Trustees is this incompetent because the posters responding to this idea appear to be as creatively challenged. Keep thinking inside the box boys, you will end up with another Manny and another 20 years of nothingness!
Do you think this board doesn’t cost money or all these other positions you’re creating? Or do you think people devoting their time for free are really going to have enough power to do anything of substance? In reality, All you’re creating is a maze where it’s impossible to hold people accountable. All we really have to do is care about football and hold existing positions accountable. A **** salad isn’t better than a **** sandwich just because of its structure…

2) Get former players to sit on this football advisory board as well to oversee the football program.

3) Hire a real athletic director with actual experience

4) Then hire a football coach that knows how to develop players and teach technique

The coach reports to the athletic director but has quarterly meetings with the Football Board of Directors.

Former players that want to be involved can assist the board or the coaching staff when requested to deal with pressing problems.

Goal setting for all facets of coaching will be set by the board, like recruiting goals, team performance metrics, etc.

Start attacking the problems that are at the root cause of the problems.

If we can't land a Mario Cristobal then go get a transition coach like Butch Davis who we know can work with this group of people. Mario would possibly be interested if he saw this kind of commitment to the football program after 20 years of disaster. Attack the problems, get rid of Manny now and get these things in place immediately or sit around and do nothing, either way the Board of Trustees can't have any more to do with the football program, they have failed repeatedly and should stick to whatever it is they do know, because it ain't football!
#3 and 4 are all you need and would be a huge upgrade itself. The rest is just another Ed Reed hire with more politics

Advertisement
Jimmy’s place in the Keys is a couple of miles from mine. I see him out there walking nearly every morning and his boat cruises down snake creek and the tiki bar sand bar all the time. He loves to fish and all that comes with Keys life.

He’s got the prefect life professionally. He’s not changing that for anyone or anything

Do you think this board doesn’t cost money or all these other positions you’re creating? Or do you think people devoting their time for free are really going to have enough power to do anything of substance? In reality, All you’re creating is a maze where it’s impossible to hold people accountable. All we really have to do is care about football and hold existing positions accountable. A **** salad isn’t better than a **** sandwich just because of its structure…
Do you know how much a quarterly board fee is for a chairman and board members for a company, it isn't that much money and if it is something they all love it is a labor of love, if it isn't then what was the harm of asking. Jimmy is rich, he is old too, he wants to leave legacies now at this point in your life. He is the most knowledgeable guy left with ties to the program, other than him and our former players who are in the HOF what else we got? A bunch of dumba$$ BOT members that keep making horrendous coaching choices, the last one done in 6 hours which the smart ones of us on the board knew was a disaster from the word go.

Other teams don't do it because it has never been done, but that is why we had a 58 game home winning streak, we didn't play by everyone else's rules. When the game changes you need to rewrite the rules if you can't beat them with their own rules. We are going to try and copy others with a poor facsimile of what they are already doing and somehow beat them??? Good luck with that! Look at what your assets and liabilities are and make a plan based on that, don't copy other people's plans and expect to succeed.

I now will lose any hope that anything creative will come from yet another failed experiment, I am convinced we will go down the already trodden path of failure with another slight twist and the fans will get excited for a brief moment. If you don't change the paradigm in place you will continue to fail, slightly differently but the end result will be the same.

Advertisement
Say it with me: NO AD WORTH A **** WANTS THIS CONVOLUTED NONSENSE WITH HIRING SOME OLD GUY TO BE A PART TIME ADMINISTRATOR.

Our fanbase continues to overcomplicate something that is extremely basic. HIRE A COMPETENT AD AND GET THE **** OUT OF THEIR WAY. Provide that AD with the resources needed to do their job and let them do said job. Provide a clear set of expectations with rewards for overachieving and consequences for not meeting the standard.

A good AD will look after football, because football is the revenue center. Why would any coach or AD want to be involved with a program where there are unnecessary levels of bureaucracy between the AD and the HC? The AD and HC of the football program should be partners, because they are tied together and if one fails, they both are out on their asses.
I agree with most of what you said, but colleges don’t look at AD’s like nfl teams look at GM’s. They are not tied always to coaching hires. As long as they use the right pronouns and the school stays clean and doesn’t go bankrupt, they usually stay. Blake ain’t going anywhere.

Jimmy’s place in the Keys is a couple of miles from mine. I see him out there walking nearly every morning and his boat cruises down snake creek and the tiki bar sand bar all the time. He loves to fish and all that comes with Keys life.

He’s got the prefect life professionally. He’s not changing that for anyone or anything

4 board meetings a year and a lifetime of wisdom to share, doesn't compare with having a purpose in your latter years. Warren Buffet is 91 years old and worth over $100B and you think he isn't excited to get up and do the things he is passionate about? You think Jimmy doesn't care about the U, fine but you never find out if you don't ask, and we won't even ask, that is why the paradigm won't change. I guess Jimmy liked playing by the rules when Tad Foote was President. I guess Jimmy didn't do things differently in the NFL to go from the cellar to back to back titles. Yeah, your probably right, Jimmy wouldn't be interested in making his mark again and ****ing anyone off in the rest of college football, just wants to catch one more dolphin instead and drink one more Heineken rather than take a few days out of his year to help with the program he claims he loved more than anything.

4 board meetings a year and a lifetime of wisdom to share, doesn't compare with having a purpose in your latter years. Warren Buffet is 91 years old and worth over $100B and you think he isn't excited to get up and do the things he is passionate about? You think Jimmy doesn't care about the U, fine but you never find out if you don't ask, and we won't even ask, that is why the paradigm won't change. I guess Jimmy liked playing by the rules when Tad Foote was President. I guess Jimmy didn't do things differently in the NFL to go from the cellar to back to back titles. Yeah, your probably right, Jimmy wouldn't be interested in making his mark again and ****ing anyone off in the rest of college football, just wants to catch one more dolphin instead and drink one more Heineken rather than take a few days out of his year to help with the program he claims he loved more than anything

You backhandedly accomplishment shaming a truly great man who’s done more than you’ll ever dream of is pathetic dude.

Just take your L on this poorly thought out brain **** of an idea an move on man.

Advertisement

There's a fundamental difference between a guy taking these positions on a corporate board(Where they are mostly ceremonial) and this, which you noted yourself would be a job with some responsibilities. This isn't a creative idea, it's a classic "Miami fan can't stop jock sniffing from the 80s" idea.

Know how schools show good coaches that they are serious about winning? HIRING A COMPETENT, EXPERIENCED AD AND GETTING OUT OF THEIR WAY!

Not complicated. Never mind the fact that no decent coach wants a bunch of old fossils around the program butting in where they don't really belong. The fewer levels of bureaucracy between the AD and head football coach, the better. They should be partners, because their futures are directly tied to each other in a way that isn't the case with the other sports(With some unique exceptions).

I agree with most of what you said, but colleges don’t look at AD’s like nfl teams look at GM’s. They are not tied always to coaching hires. As long as they use the right pronouns and the school stays clean and doesn’t go bankrupt, they usually stay. Blake ain’t going anywhere.
The football coach and the AD are usually tied together. You make a couple of bad football hires, an AD is on the hot seat at most schools. Are there exceptions? Yes, but for most schools, having a football team that isn't performing hurts the bottom line of the athletic department and guess who will be held accountable? The athletic director. This isn't complicated and there are examples of this happening all across the country. It's not an accident that at schools like Texas and others, when the football program underachieves, the AD ends up out on their *** eventually as well.

2) Get former players to sit on this football advisory board as well to oversee the football program.

3) Hire a real athletic director with actual experience

4) Then hire a football coach that knows how to develop players and teach technique

The coach reports to the athletic director but has quarterly meetings with the Football Board of Directors.

Former players that want to be involved can assist the board or the coaching staff when requested to deal with pressing problems.

Goal setting for all facets of coaching will be set by the board, like recruiting goals, team performance metrics, etc.

Start attacking the problems that are at the root cause of the problems.

If we can't land a Mario Cristobal then go get a transition coach like Butch Davis who we know can work with this group of people. Mario would possibly be interested if he saw this kind of commitment to the football program after 20 years of disaster. Attack the problems, get rid of Manny now and get these things in place immediately or sit around and do nothing, either way the Board of Trustees can't have any more to do with the football program, they have failed repeatedly and should stick to whatever it is they do know, because it ain't football!
Interesting organizational design.

miniGif_20211003143416.gif

think JJ would be on speed dial to offer advice or input for anyone in program. would a phone call hurt to pick his brain on somethings NO..... would a car ride from Miami to his place for lunch hurt you NO.....

Advertisement
Back