2023 #1 247 RB Richard Young

Advertisement
Yea that's not going to keep happening people are trying to hype it to happening. No one is going to watch JSU games unless this kid is Sean Taylor type which he isn't. He may flame out dead *** or leave with Deon when he leaves.
I don’t think it’ll happen too much more in the future. I understand having Deion coach you up if you’re a DB, but regardless…a lot of these guys will want to play against better players every week and you won’t have that playing against lesser competition at FCS schools.

D I’m wit u in the he isn’t the Sean Taylor type but I seriously doubt if he will flame out unless he gets seriously injured (which is a possibility). If that doesn’t happen he will be a bonified superstar there going against those kids. He’s also gon play both ways (pause) & be Dat *****!

It’s definitely not going to flame out. However, we may not see the number 1 recruit do that too often, but some kids may opt there instead of going g5. Remember players like TY Hilton, Antonio Brown, & Willis Wright. They may go there instead of going to places like FIU. Especially if they keep getting coaches with ties to the nfl.

The idea of playing for an HBCU is admittingly pretty cool and now with the advent of NIL's it's a definite possibility. However, I think that luster is going to wear off come draft time when these kids have not been developed nor have, they faced any real competition during their time in college...

I’m telling y’all the comp argument is overblown. Deon took a bunch of fbs cast offs and dominated fcs for the most part, especially his defense. I’m sure if these kids play like their billing they will do just fine. Players go to schools all the time and not develop and it doesn’t hurt the school’s recruitment. Look at Tennessee. Kids still go there ( then transfer out). Since 2016 Texas only had 2 players drafted in the 2nd round, everyone else has been lower selections. They still get kids to flock there. Mean while NDSU has had 2 1st rounders since then despite the competition. If you dominate your comp you will get drafted. That’s why G5 & FCS players get drafted. Then the draft goes back to being dominated by like 5 schools.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Just find it strange bama and UGA let Hunter off easily they are the best eval teams in cfb. They let that dude stay a verbal to forfeit state which is a huge red flag to me. UGA dont let kids like that walk out of the state under Smart.

The kid wasn’t budging when he was committed to FSU. He always took it in his own hands. Bama & UGA didn’t “let him walk out,” he just did everything his way.

The kid wasn’t budging when he was committed to FSU. He always took it in his own hands. Bama & UGA didn’t “let him walk out,” he just did everything his way.
trust me bags were big UGA would have him or Bama thats my opinion on it. Same with Hasslewood when they let him leave I knew he was over rated by the websites

It’s definitely not going to flame out. However, we may not see the number 1 recruit do that too often, but some kids may opt there instead of going g5. Remember players like TY Hilton, Antonio Brown, & Willis Wright. They may go there instead of going to places like FIU. Especially if they keep getting coaches with ties to the nfl.
It's definitely not inconceivable that if the Hunter decision creates a trend, a school like FAM can get their fair share of these types, especially in a state as talented and heavily populated as Florida. Of course it'll take a serious financial commitment to athletics, but surprisingly to some, we don't need to enter an arms race with the FIU's and UCF's of the world. The advent of the NIL is part of the reason why. Hopefully the Hunter decision was an eye-opener not only to prospects, but for the HBCU athletic departments...

It's definitely not inconceivable that if the Hunter decision creates a trend, a school like FAM can get their fair share of these types, especially in a state as talented and heavily populated as Florida. Of course it'll take a serious financial commitment to athletics, but surprisingly to some, we don't need to enter an arms race with the FIU's and UCF's of the world. The advent of the NIL is part of the reason why. Hopefully the Hunter decision was an eye-opener not only to prospects, but for the HBCU athletic departments...

I know it’s been sometime but all of those players f signed with FIU when they were lifting weights on the racquet ball court. FIU have a RB that’s a top nfl prospect and Butch said they were loaned pad. You’re right, they don’t need to enter an arms race.

Advertisement
I’m telling y’all the comp argument is overblown. Deon took a bunch of fbs cast offs and dominated fcs for the most part, especially his defense. I’m sure if these kids play like their billing they will do just fine. Players go to schools all the time and not develop and it doesn’t hurt the school’s recruitment. Look at Tennessee. Kids still go there ( then transfer out). Since 2016 Texas only had 2 players drafted in the 2nd round, everyone else has been lower selections. They still get kids to flock there. Mean while NDSU has had 2 1st rounders since then despite the competition. If you dominate your comp you will get drafted. That’s why G5 & FCS players get drafted. Then the draft goes back to being dominated by like 5 schools.
Deion had a great record.....the SWAC is where he got the super majority of his wins....and he finished the season losing to a barely .500 South Carolina St

Look at the SWAC...not a great FCS conference. Deion did well this year....but saying he dominated FCS is like saying San Diego St, who went 12-2 this year, dominated FBS.

There is a noticeable difference between FBS and FCS talent.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211229-223805_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211229-223805_Chrome.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 42
Dont know bro... The numbers don't add up. The top 3 HBCU's in terms of football... #3 Jackson state. Has only had 4 players drafted in the last 30 years! One, 5th, two 6th and one 11th rounder. Yikes. #2 Grambling is a little better with 4 players since 2000. #1 Tennessee St. is the best with 5 draftees in the last 11 years, but none better than the 5th round. Miami for example has had 123 players drafted since 2000...

Last edited:
The idea of playing for an HBCU is admittingly pretty cool and now with the advent of NIL's it's a definite possibility. However, I think that luster is going to wear off come draft time when these kids have not been developed nor have, they faced any real competition during their time in college...
I had that conversation with one of my best friends who is a FAMU grad from back in the day. He actually got mad at me for stating the truth that HBCU kids were not being drafted.
Below is what I wrote him:

2018: 1 Player
2019: 4 Players
2020: 1 Player (#227) & 1 player signed Free Agent deal
2021: 0 Players
That's 6 Players in 4 years.
During 2020, 29 Players from HBCU's started in the NFL and there are currently 18 players on NFL rosters this season (2021). That's 18 out of 1,696, or 1.1%. If you go with 2020, that's 1.7%.
With that, Travis Hunter will get drafted and may even be a 1st rounder; but chances are that he will not be an early pick cause you won't be able to gauge how good he is due to the talent he is playing against. I'll bet you that he transfers out after a year or two into a D-1 school.
Heck, Deion may not be there for 3 to 4 years. He's getting rolled right now by a 6 - 5 team (S. Carolina State).

Advertisement
Deion had a great record.....the SWAC is where he got the super majority of his wins....and he finished the season losing to a barely .500 South Carolina St

Look at the SWAC...not a great FCS conference. Deion did well this year....but saying he dominated FCS is like saying San Diego St, who went 12-2 this year, dominated FBS.

There are levels to it however JSU dominated their comp. Prior to his arrival, JSU was struggling. He came in and turned the program around. Once again, if players dominate their comp they will be drafted. You all are overblowing the competition aspect and Deon has the relationships to get these kids looks. He’s already doing it by giving them a larger platform with all of their espn affiliated games. You’re underestimating the influence Deon has. I’m not saying he’s going to turn them into Bama but some of those kids will be late round selections. Look at James Houston, he was riding the bench at UF. After this season at JSU, he maybe a 5th-7th round selection. We may laugh at that but when he was at UF he wasn’t going to get a camp invite.

There are levels to it however JSU dominated their comp. Prior to his arrival, JSU was struggling. He came in and turned the program around. Once again, if players dominate their comp they will be drafted. You all are overblowing the competition aspect and Deon has the relationships to get these kids looks. He’s already doing it by giving them a larger platform with all of their espn affiliated games. You’re underestimating the influence Deon has. I’m not saying he’s going to turn them into Bama but some of those kids will be late round selections. Look at James Houston, he was riding the bench at UF. After this season at JSU, he maybe a 5th-7th round selection. We may laugh at that but when he was at UF he wasn’t going to get a camp invite.
JSU dominated subpar FCS teams, PERIOD DOT. Yes, Deion will get players looks, but yes, there is a level competition that is different. Its not just gave day, but at practice too

I'm not saying FCS bubbas can't go to the league, or were perhaps looked over in HS by FBS teams, or a guy like James Houston can't better himself by going to an FCS program. There are also a number of FCS guys that transfer to FBS teams to increase their chances of getting to the NFL.

Have a great day

Dont know bro... The numbers don't add up. The top 3 HBCU's in terms of football... #3 Jacksonville state. Has only had 4 players drafted in the last 30 years! One, 5th, two 6th and one 11th rounder. Yikes. #2 Grambling is a little better with 4 players since 2000. #1 Tennessee St. is the best with 5 draftees in the last 11 years, but none better than the 5th round. Miami for example has had 123 players drafted since 2000...

Man we can pull up those numbers with other fbs teams. All 3 programs you are referring too now have coaching staffs with ties to the NFL. It’s not the same programs. Y’all acting like they are commuting to the staffs who was there since 2010. Eddie George, Hue Jackson m, & Deon Sanders all have strong ties to the NFL. Scouts are going to come see Hunter because he is a 5 ⭐️. As long as he lock his man up in the fcs then shut down the couple of fbs opponents he face, he is good. Especially if he’s going to play offense, defense and return. I don’t see HBCU s getting a bunch of 4 or 5 stars out of high school but with the transfer portal they can get some really good 3 🌟 from high school. And the few 4 or 5 ⭐️ that do go will bring attention.

Advertisement
JSU dominated subpar FCS teams, PERIOD DOT. Yes, Deion will get players looks, but yes, there is a level competition that is different. Its not just gave day, but at practice too

I'm not saying FCS bubbas can't go to the league, or were perhaps looked over in HS by FBS teams, or a guy like James Houston can't better himself by going to an FCS program. There are also a number of FCS guys that transfer to FBS teams to increase their chances of getting to the NFL.

Have a great day

I’m having a great day. I don’t understand why you added that. Once again, JSU played the schedule they was dealt and dominated. Y’all continue to over exaggerate the competition level. If players have the size and measurables they will be drafted. I can’t say which round but that’s why you have the senior bowl, shrine game, combine, & pro days. The scouts will determine that. But no one is going turn their heads up to kids with size who dominate. And I doubt the scouts will overlook a former 5 ⭐️ out of hs. He’s going to get the looks but he just has to ball. Yes guys transfer up but until recently it wasn’t that many. Mainly because they had to sit out still. However, from 2009-2019 the draft has seen a minimum 14 fcs draft picks go during the first 2 days of the draft. This is before COVID and the new transfer rule.

Last edited:
“ I'm not going even to lie. I thought he was going to stay with FSU, but when he saw he could get coached by one of the best corners ever, he did it. That shocked me and I told myself that I got to keep my options. I just want to look into [Florida A&M] and see what it's like."

Can we officially hire some position coach consultants?

OL- Brian McKinnie
Rb- Frank Gore or Magahee or James
LB- Ray Lewis or Vilma
TE- Olsen or Shockey
DT- Wilfork or Sapp
Cb- Rolle
WR- Andre Johnson or Irvin
QB- Dorsey or Torretta

Essentially the Ed Reed effect across all positions groups or substitute with all time greats (non UM alumni eg Barry Sanders) as needed or available.
How about we just win games and leave the gimmicks to others and not copy just cause one guy left to a coach and will probably transfer out in one year

The best FCS running back in YEARS was an undrafted free agent that signed with the Jags even though he’s one of the best backs in the league and already a multiple time pro bowler. He played in a better conference too.

Just find it strange bama and UGA let Hunter off easily they are the best eval teams in cfb. They let that dude stay a verbal to forfeit state which is a huge red flag to me. UGA dont let kids like that walk out of the state under Smart.
They are not the best at evals in college football, they are the best at acquiring the highest ranked players, there’s a difference.

Especially, at CB, Bama & UGA Corners are mostly bad to average at best.

Until Pat Surtain Jr & Tyson Campbell, Bama & UGA had produced a bunch of a mediocre CB’s in the league.

Bama & UGA didn’t just let Travis Hunter stay committed to FSU nor did they just let him go to JSU, they were actively trying to flip him & get in on the sweepstakes during his entire recruitment, go watch his commitment video, he literally threw the UGA hat on the ground after pretending to put it on.

He had planned on going to FSU because he was always a Nole fan & his favorite player growing up was Jalen Ramsey. He actually had decommitted from FSU 2 nights before NSD, he called them & told them he wasn’t gonna sign with them but their staff straight up acted as if it didn’t happen & just wrote it off as last minute jitters, so they ignored it. They hoped he would come to his senses & still sign with them anyway, but he had no intentions on sticking with them.

Prime got him because he’s a good coach & master recruiter, he had been working Travis for the last 2 weeks leading up until NSD & once TH decommitted from FSU 2 nights before he knew he had him in the bag. The NIL deal he signed is worth over $1.5mill & sealed the deal, but Deion was really the only coach who could flip him because there’s no other coach in America that could recruit a CB better than Prime, not even Corey Raymond could out-recruit CB’s better than Prime.

When Deion Sanders gets a P5 job at good program with legit resources he’s gonna do very very well on the trail, specifically at CB.

Advertisement
Back