1:11 on the Clock 3 TOs

I was there it… it was not pouring at that point
Was the ball wet? Was the field wet? Not saying I agree with the decision, but with a 15 point lead (?), the thinking was why risk a weather-related turnover? Not that I agree with the decision, but not a hill I'd be willing to die on as a detractor.

Advertisement
No. It wasn't raining. I was out on the concourse during halftime.

I understood it from the perspective that we're up 28-13 and got the ball to start the 3rd. But, considering how good TVD is, that we didn't try to run a good play on 1st and 2nd down and see where it would lead, was certainly peculiar.
It may not have been raining at half time, but it was a monsoon at the end of the second quarter.. So goes Florida storms.

It may not have been raining at half time, but it was a monsoon at the end of the second quarter.. So goes Florida storms.
I mean, yeah, it was on and off, but I distinctly recall leaving right after halftime and walking out. It wasn't raining then. I don't recall if it was raining when we started the possession? I'd say no but can't say definitively.

Advertisement
Utah coach called a timeout with 11 seconds left because he believed he has the best punt returner in the country. It worked out the took the punt back for 6. It’s all about mindset. Manny ain’t got that killer instinct unless forced to by outside factors

Crowd booed… up 28-13 and the crowd booed… you would have thought the score was the other way around
Crowd was booing the decision to take a knee. All season long UM has barely pulled out the wins by 3 points .. and we needed to put away as many points as possible. TVD is able to get 50 yard chunks in a single play .. was plenty of time to at least have gone for a FG. Live fire practice is also important. Manny is a horrible coach and he demonstrated it again in that situation.

Advertisement
I didn’t like it either. I was thinking a little schwing pass to Rooster, he makes a guy miss or a guy slips and he’s off to the races. Almost came back to bite Manny, but it worked out. At this point we’re just bouncing rubble looking for things to complain about (Nesta as a spy, anyone). Honesty, if he canned his special teams coordinator, hired a DC that was effective, recruited better and developed the talent he had, and was a better game day manager, I’d be tempted to give him another year.

Utah coach called a timeout with 11 seconds left because he believed he has the best punt returner in the country. It worked out the took the punt back for 6. It’s all about mindset. Manny ain’t got that killer instinct unless forced to by outside factors
Kicking to the best returner in the country seems I’ll-advised.

Ball on 20
TvD is 10/16 with 235 yds passing
Multiple 20+ yard plays
Scoring drives of less than 2 minutes
Getting the ball again to start the 2nd half

Manny decides to kneel!!!

Didn't bother me, actually. It had just started pouring and TVD threw what should have been a pick 6 a moment before with a wet ball. Things had actually started to turn a bit at that point iirc and I understood the risk/reward ratio with a good lead of getting to the locker room without further incident.

Let me put it this way, what if TVD had thrown another bad ball there in the rain and gotten picked off? Maybe we lose that game. Which we won by 12, and covered, right? Zoom out.

Advertisement
I didn’t like it either. I was thinking a little schwing pass to Rooster, he makes a guy miss or a guy slips and he’s off to the races. Almost came back to bite Manny, but it worked out. At this point we’re just bouncing rubble looking for things to complain about (Nesta as a spy, anyone). Honesty, if he canned his special teams coordinator, hired a DC that was effective, recruited better and developed the talent he had, and was a better game day manager, I’d be tempted to give him another year.
Similar thought - at least run something vs. kneeling down…

I guess its damned if you do, damned if you don't. We get a TO and its "OMG how stupid! He should have just (fill in the blank with whatever he did not do)".

It was a good win. I got no real complaints.

Advertisement
Also the near pick 6 the previous possession had a lot to do with this decision.

I am not sure going into a shell every time the QB throws a near pick six is the best approach, especially with TVD.
It would have the best chance to run the 2 min offense to see what he could do, even with having to protect the ball in the rain.
Who knows, we could have needed to run it at the end of the game in the rain.

That was a gutless, job protecting call.

Advertisement
Back