“There aint a RB in Miami History better than me” - Shady Mccoy

Advertisement
I don't think it was "the coaching staff" that made that decision, as much as it was "UM porsters" who did.

McCoy ended up picking Pitt in January 2007. He was one of 4 RB signees for Pitt, though he was the highest rated.

Miami's 2007 signing class was Graig Cooper and...Shawnbrey McNeal and Lee Chambers, both of whom were lower-rated than McCoy. McCoy was bigger than all three, and would have been a very potent "thunder-and-lightning" backfield when paired with Cooper.

Let's not forget, Miami's 2006 commit list was...Cooper and McNeal (both of whom did not qualify for 2006) and Javarris Jackson and Kylan Robinson.

In 2005, we only signed the enormous Jerrell Mabry.

And in 2004, we signed Charlie Jones, Derron Thomas, Andrew Johnson, and Bobby Washington (never qualified at UM).

So by 2007, we definitely had room for McCoy IF WE HAD STAYED ON TOP OF HIM AND KEPT RECRUITING HIM.

As has been shown via photograph, another poster has proof that McCoy was on the UM campus in April 2006, so we clearly wanted him at that point. And he prepped with Cooper, who eventually made it back to UM in 2007. Yes, McCoy had some behavioral issues too, but I do believe that if Miami had continued to recruit McCoy hard, we could have gotten him back by early 2007.

But, yes, in that early stage of the Interwebz, Miami fans continued to circulate the myths that McCoy never had a shot of coming to UM (untrue) and that we "only" needed Cooper and didn't need McCoy (untrue, different styles of running back), even though we toon McNeal and Chambers in 2007.
McCoy had been hampered by an ankle injury the entire season and they passed on him.

Him and Coop committed from the same Juco didn't they?

No, they both committed out of HS, failed to qualify, then went to the same prep school. Coop recommitted to UM, Shady picked Pitt.

Coop was from TN, Shady was from PA.

Advertisement
If we’re talking college only:
Edgerrin James
Willis McGahee
Clinton Portis
Duke Johnson
>>>>>>>>>>
LeSean McCoy

If we’re talking NFL only:
Frank Gore
Edgerrin James
>>>>>>>>>
LeSean McCoy

And you forgot to add:

Ottis Anderson
>>>>>
LeSean McCoy

(and I could even be persuaded to add Chuck Foreman). .. I mean, as long as we're kicking it old school

My son played at Bishop McDevitt H.S. (graduated in 2019). The first time that I was introduced to Shady, I just looked at him and said that a man is only as good as his word and that I never saw him play a down for The U. I thought that my son's head coach (Shady's head coach too) was going to crap himself.

I think that OJ Anderson, Edge, Portis, and Gore would have a thing or two to say about his stupid comment.

Advertisement
Arguement can be made for Clinton also in NFL. Lesean played close to 60 more games and Clinton has 2 more TDs but Lesean has around 1200 more yards.. Clinton Denver years were ELITE..
What you’re saying is Clinton only had to play 3 3/4 seasons averaging less than 400 yards per season to match McCoy? Got it, Clinton over McCoy in the nfl too.

I don't think it was "the coaching staff" that made that decision, as much as it was "UM porsters" who did.

McCoy ended up picking Pitt in January 2007. He was one of 4 RB signees for Pitt, though he was the highest rated.

Miami's 2007 signing class was Graig Cooper and...Shawnbrey McNeal and Lee Chambers, both of whom were lower-rated than McCoy. McCoy was bigger than all three, and would have been a very potent "thunder-and-lightning" backfield when paired with Cooper.

Let's not forget, Miami's 2006 commit list was...Cooper and McNeal (both of whom did not qualify for 2006) and Javarris Jackson and Kylan Robinson.

In 2005, we only signed the enormous Jerrell Mabry.

And in 2004, we signed Charlie Jones, Derron Thomas, Andrew Johnson, and Bobby Washington (never qualified at UM).

So by 2007, we definitely had room for McCoy IF WE HAD STAYED ON TOP OF HIM AND KEPT RECRUITING HIM.

As has been shown via photograph, another poster has proof that McCoy was on the UM campus in April 2006, so we clearly wanted him at that point. And he prepped with Cooper, who eventually made it back to UM in 2007. Yes, McCoy had some behavioral issues too, but I do believe that if Miami had continued to recruit McCoy hard, we could have gotten him back by early 2007.

But, yes, in that early stage of the Interwebz, Miami fans continued to circulate the myths that McCoy never had a shot of coming to UM (untrue) and that we "only" needed Cooper and didn't need McCoy (untrue, different styles of running back), even though we toon McNeal and Chambers in 2007.

Long time ago, and my memory may be hazy - but I don't think McCoy coming here was ever a real possibility.

He committed in 2006 - but that was an out of nowhere shock since he never took an official visit and everyone knew he wasn't qualifying. It wasn't real.

I think part of the reason we stropped recruiting him was because it was pretty obvious he wasn't coming. It was mutual on both sides as I remember it.

The fanbase making comparisons of Kylan Robinson to Eric ****erson & Graig Cooper to Reggie Bush was a comical bonus.

Shady: 170 games, 2,457 rushes, 11,102 yards (4.5ypc) 73 td; 518 catches 3,898 yrds, 16 TD, totaled 15,000 yards from scrimmage

James: 148 games 3,028 rushes, 12,246 (4.0) 80 TD; 433 catches, 3,364 yds 11td; 15,610 yards from scrimmage

James played in 22 less games. Also compare Edge's Team's passing attack to the teams Shady was on.

Shady is delusional saying no Miami RB can compare to him - but he's just as good as those guys. He's in the conversation.

Different eras with per/post spread offenses - and Edge is definitely better, but he caught passes from Peyton Manning his whole career. Let's not act like Edge's passing attack wasn't far superior.

Advertisement
Sounds crazy..but there’s really only 2 backs (Gore and Edge) who’s Numbers stack up to shady..and the only one who definitely had a better resume is Edge…if compare shady to our lineage he’s without question top 3
I love Shady (Go Birdsand **** CHIP KELLY)... but I'm not ready to say all of that, though.

You can have all the numbers in the world... but WHAT KIND OF IMPACT is the question.

Can't answer that because he never played here, so it's moot.

Advertisement
I love Shady (Go Birdsand **** CHIP KELLY)... but I'm not ready to say all of that, though.

You can have all the numbers in the world... but WHAT KIND OF IMPACT is the question.

Can't answer that because he never played here, so it's moot.
His impact? Check the resume..he has the all pros..has the numbers..player a decent amount of years..did it in the run game and pass game..will be in canton and I believe he has a ring ..sooo who other than edge is better?? Frank Is the guy who has a argument..so yea shady has a case..it’s not completely crazy like some of the reactions make it seems

His impact? Check the resume..he has the all pros..has the numbers..player a decent amount of years..did it in the run game and pass game..will be in canton and I believe he has a ring ..sooo who other than edge is better?? Frank Is the guy who has a argument..so yea shady has a case..it’s not completely crazy like some of the reactions make it seems
You're not getting what I am saying when I say make an impact, probably.

Imma use wrestling terminology.
Michael Shawn Hickenbottom and Bret Hart are IMO the greatest in-ring performers in the history of wrestling.
But did they make an impact Luke Dwayne Johnson and Steve Austin did?

Shady is HBK and you can put any of our RBs up there and their stone cold.

Not sorry. And I'm a big shady fan and he's one of my favorite RBs ever, deadass. (He's a former Eagle and that's my team).
My thing on impact is also this: he wouldn't have made as big as an impact at the U as Gore, Edge, Willis or Clinton. That's just my opinion.
Plus he went to Buffalo and was meh. He was in the wrong system. If he was traded to KC or NO.... then we can really have this convo.

You're not getting what I am saying when I say make an impact, probably.

Imma use wrestling terminology.
Michael Shawn Hickenbottom and Bret Hart are IMO the greatest in-ring performers in the history of wrestling.
But did they make an impact Luke Dwayne Johnson and Steve Austin did?

Shady is HBK and you can put any of our RBs up there and their stone cold.

Not sorry. And I'm a big shady fan and he's one of my favorite RBs ever, deadass. (He's a former Eagle and that's my team).
My thing on impact is also this: he wouldn't have made as big as an impact at the U as Gore, Edge, Willis or Clinton. That's just my opinion.
Plus he went to Buffalo and was meh. He was in the wrong system. If he was traded to KC or NO.... then we can really have this convo.
Yeah..I think your out of your Mind. I haven’t watched wrestling since I found it was fake in like 2002 😂. Dude was tearing **** up at ******* pitt. You think he doesn’t tear **** up at the U from 09-whatever..I’d say that’s crazy.

I’m mostly basing this off the NFL careers tho. I’m pretty sure that’s shadys argument. You put his numbers up against our top guys and he’s easily top 3 based on what they did in the league..gore longevity gives him some of nod in production..but shady is right there.Edge is undisputed.

Let’s be real if shady was in the Orange and green like he was supposed too hed be regarded as one of the absolute best lol. The “impact” is the nostalgia you have for our guys who ran through the smoke lol..but shadys pro career is on par with our best

Advertisement
Back