“There aint a RB in Miami History better than me” - Shady Mccoy

Advertisement
Shady is delusional saying no Miami RB can compare to him - but he's just as good as those guys. He's in the conversation.

Different eras with per/post spread offenses - and Edge is definitely better, but he caught passes from Peyton Manning his whole career. Let's not act like Edge's passing attack wasn't far superior.
I guess what I wrote wasn't what I mean't.

What I was trying to say is Edge was in a offense where he wasn't the main focus. He had to share the rock in a big passing offense.

I think Shady got the ball more because he was the best option.

Advertisement
When edge got there they became next level.

Manning was giving us a Jamies Winston prophecy until Edge got there. It was his rookie year but he threw 28ints with Marshall Faulk. Edge comes and that number went down to 15 and they won 13 games. Don’t get me wrong, Payton is still a top 3 in my book. One of the top 3 qbs I ever saw, but Edge help take that team to another level. And that’s huge considering he replaced HOF Marshall Faulk.

Long time ago, and my memory may be hazy - but I don't think McCoy coming here was ever a real possibility.

He committed in 2006 - but that was an out of nowhere shock since he never took an official visit and everyone knew he wasn't qualifying. It wasn't real.

I think part of the reason we stropped recruiting him was because it was pretty obvious he wasn't coming. It was mutual on both sides as I remember it.

The fanbase making comparisons of Kylan Robinson to Eric ****erson & Graig Cooper to Reggie Bush was a comical bonus.

Back on Page 2, a poster put up a photo of McCoy on the UM campus months after Signing Day 2006. There was a "real possibility" that McCoy was coming to UM, but the UM coaches slacked off on recruiting him due to academics and injuries. McCoy was interested, even prepped with Graig Cooper. We can debate chicken-and-egg arguments about McCoy forever, but the fact that he ended up at Pitt is a good indication that the entire world wasn't beating a path to his doorway in 2007.

And, yes, myths were formed by various websites and the posters.

Advertisement
Back on Page 2, a poster put up a photo of McCoy on the UM campus months after Signing Day 2006. There was a "real possibility" that McCoy was coming to UM, but the UM coaches slacked off on recruiting him due to academics and injuries. McCoy was interested, even prepped with Graig Cooper. We can debate chicken-and-egg arguments about McCoy forever, but the fact that he ended up at Pitt is a good indication that the entire world wasn't beating a path to his doorway in 2007.

And, yes, myths were formed by various websites and the posters.

I look at it similar to Jordan Scarlett in 2015. He committed to FAU for about 6 months, but no one thought that was real. Then he was committed to Miami for about 6 months, and the general feeling was he wasn't ever really coming to Miami.

Same with Shady - I think we cooled on him for sure, but I think the feeling was there were good reasons to question how genuine his interest was. Not saying he wasn't interested, I just don't think he was ever all in. I don't think this was a "he 100% wanted to come to Miami, we just stopped recruiting him" situation. My memory is we could've kept pursuing Shady, but there was a strong chance we'd just get played in the end (who knows though - I could easily be wrong, just my memory of it).

I was referencing he didn't even take an official visit to Miami before committing on 2006 signing day - which was a pointless commitment since it was known he wouldn't qualify anywhere. The 2006 commitment didn't really mean anything.

Here were his visits:

1642105558759.png

I look at it similar to Jordan Scarlett in 2015. He committed to FAU for about 6 months, but no one thought that was real. Then he was committed to Miami for about 6 months, and the general feeling was he wasn't ever really coming to Miami.

Same with Shady - I think we cooled on him for sure, but I think the feeling was there were good reasons to question how genuine his interest was. Not saying he wasn't interested, I just don't think he was ever all in. I don't think this was a "he 100% wanted to come to Miami, we just stopped recruiting him" situation.

I was referencing he didn't even take an official visit to Miami before committing on 2006 signing day - which was a pointless commitment since it was known he wouldn't qualify anywhere. The 2006 commitment didn't really mean anything.

Here were his visits:

View attachment 172189

Look, I'm going to make this simple. When given a choice between photographic evidence that a player visited UM, and a Rivals database, I'm taking the photo every time.

You can go over to the Jahlil Florence thread right now, and guys are arguing about whether he ever visited Oregon. Because, you know, "what a website says". Meanwhile, you have Oregon people confirming that Florence has actually stepped onto Oregon's campus.

There is no such thing as a "pointless commitment". Miami took a commit from Cooper, placed him at a prep, and enrolled him in the following year. That was the INTENT with McCoy. That's why he was on UM's campus, to review the academic situation and what it would take. And had UM's coaches continued to recruit him in spite of the academics and injuries, then we had a very good shot of enrolling him.

Sure, he visited Penn State. And didn't really like Penn State, didn't even consider them the next year.

I'll make this clear. The whole "no one thought it was real" was about just about dopey posters on the internet. The coaches had a better idea, but he was an out-of-state kid, just as Cooper was. We should have stayed on both. You can't take anything for granted AND you can't write anything off. That was the problem with Coker (and other Miami head coaches), he just tended to give up on recruits or move on for academic or other reasons.

Sorry, but the "he was never coming" is just internet fan fiction stuff. If a coach really feels that way, then you stop recruiting BEFORE Signing Day. You don't accept a commit or a verbal or an announcement or an LOI. You certainly don't host the kid months after Signing Day.

Look, I'm going to make this simple. When given a choice between photographic evidence that a player visited UM, and a Rivals database, I'm taking the photo every time.

You can go over to the Jahlil Florence thread right now, and guys are arguing about whether he ever visited Oregon. Because, you know, "what a website says". Meanwhile, you have Oregon people confirming that Florence has actually stepped onto Oregon's campus.

There is no such thing as a "pointless commitment". Miami took a commit from Cooper, placed him at a prep, and enrolled him in the following year. That was the INTENT with McCoy. That's why he was on UM's campus, to review the academic situation and what it would take. And had UM's coaches continued to recruit him in spite of the academics and injuries, then we had a very good shot of enrolling him.

Sure, he visited Penn State. And didn't really like Penn State, didn't even consider them the next year.

I'll make this clear. The whole "no one thought it was real" was about just about dopey posters on the internet. The coaches had a better idea, but he was an out-of-state kid, just as Cooper was. We should have stayed on both. You can't take anything for granted AND you can't write anything off. That was the problem with Coker (and other Miami head coaches), he just tended to give up on recruits or move on for academic or other reasons.

Sorry, but the "he was never coming" is just internet fan fiction stuff. If a coach really feels that way, then you stop recruiting BEFORE Signing Day. You don't accept a commit or a verbal or an announcement or an LOI. You certainly don't host the kid months after Signing Day.

Shady was 100% on campus after he committed in 2006. I'm not disputing that. I'm pointing out he was never on campus before he committed in 2006. These are 2 separate things, and both are true.

I'm not speaking in absolutes. I'm trying to say I don't "remember" this as a "Shady was 100% in on Miami, but Miami was 100% out on Shady" situation. I think there was interest on both ends, but I don't remember it getting to the point where it was a very realistic possibility on either side. It was more like a Miami showed 50% interest in Shady, and Shady showed 50% interest in coming to Miami. It was always a "maybe/could be/there's a chance" situation.

Each commitment isn't the same - there's a lot of gray area. Sometimes players are 100% in when they commit. Sometimes they're only about 50% convinced they want to come to Miami, but commit anyways. Some players continue to say they're 100% Miami when it's well known they're going somewhere else.

Each visit isn't the same - Some players visit Miami because they 100% want to go here. Some take a trip because they're mildly interested. Some just want the free trip to Miami and have no interest.

I never said 100% Shady was never coming. I'm saying "I remember" there were good reasons to believe he probably wasn't going to come. That's a different thing, and my memory could be wrong. I don't think anything you're saying is incorrect - I just remember it as being more in a gray area on both sides than you do.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back