“I’ll still take 2001 Miami”

Lol this post happens every year. At least year it’s legit. This is a flat out amazing offense. This LSU offense is as good as our 2001 team, in this era of officiating. But our D was on a different level than Clemsons last night. Historically great team, but we Probably win 8 out of 10 games if we played. That’s literally the highest compliment I can give.

Advertisement
their d line was getting pushed when dabo's dumbass actually ran the ball

our o line would massacre lsu's d line, this isn't even a question.

Lol this post happens every year. At least year it’s legit. This is a flat out amazing offense. This LSU offense is as good as our 2001 team, in this era of officiating. But our D was on a different level than Clemsons last night. Historically great team, but we Probably win 8 out of 10 games if we played. That’s literally the highest compliment I can give.
In my opinion if they took the 2001 Hurricanes took the full year seriously. Nebraska scheme was so outdated with Eric Crouch being the focal point of the offense. Its so obvious they were a make-up gift from the ncaa after they robbed Miami of playing for the bcs crystal ball in the sugar bowl.

Miami would have stomped any team that season though.

We beat them in the trenches. Burrow would’ve looked like Crouch did.

1579062696853.jpeg

Advertisement
2001 Miami allowed an average of 9.8 points per game against the nation’s 22nd toughest schedule. They never gave up more than 27 points in any game.
Outscored the 5 ranked teams on their schedule 236 to 72 and led Nebraska in the Rose Bowl 34 to 0 at the half. And, if you look at comparison of the positions only QB would LSU have the advantage.

2001 Canes scored over 60 points on a ranked Washington team that was very good (even with an "old school" offense). We had a talent advantage over LSU at every position except QB. At RB, our advantage was huge.

The only way LSU would win is if Dorsey had a bad day (like against BC).

Give LSU props for a very strong season (beating so many ranked opponents) but in terms of overall talent, the 2001 Canes will never be matched and they would win 9 out of every 10 games played (with the only losses being if Dorsey had a bad day). It has nothing to do with his arm strength (his arm was strong enough to play in the NFL). He did however have some rare off days (just like Trevor Lawrence did last night).

2001 Canes is the greatest team of all time.

Advertisement
The coaching difference is vast.

2001 Canes didn’t really beat anyone all year and got somewhat lucky with an easy schedule. Even the Nebraska team we beat in the Rose Bowl had lost the week previous to Colorado.

The same team in 2002 was exposed against Ohio State. Pass interference or no, we got handled in that game.
You're wrong. The 5 top 20 teams the Canes played they won by an over 150 point margin and they routed Penn State at Happy Valley.

LSU finished with a Sagarin power rating of 104.88. The 2001 Canes were slightly above 106

Ohio State would have been several points ahead of Miami if it had won the title. Even with the loss to Clemson, Ohio State finished barely behind LSU according to Sagarin. The gap was .05

You're wrong. The 5 top 20 teams the Canes played they won by an over 150 point margin and they routed Penn State at Happy Valley.
All true, but that Penn State team finished with a losing record.

The Nebraska team we beat for the title dropped to 8th in the final AP poll
-Next highest ranked team was 10-3 Syracuse which finished 14th
-Then 8-4 FSU at 15th
-Then 8-4 VTech at 18th
-Then 8-4 Washington at 19th
-And 8-4 BC at 21st

The rest of our schedule was total ****, with freshman Chris Rix and FSU being the most dynamic passing offense we faced all season.

In Miami's defense, 2001 was a weird season where they were the only elite team, and the season finished even weirder. On Thanksgiving weekend Nebraska got blown out by Colorado and Okie St. gave Oklahoma their 2nd loss.

-The following week on December 1st, 1 loss Florida was ranked 2nd, and lost to 1 loss Tennessee (game was postponed because of 9/11), sending the Volunteers to the SEC title game.

-That same day, 1 loss Texas was ranked 3rd, and got beat by 2 loss Colorado in the Big 12 title game.

-The next week, Tennessee was now ranked 2nd with 1 loss, but they lost the SEC title game to an 8-3 LSU team.

The BCS was completely smashed by that point because the rest of the top 10 was a cluster****.

Advertisement
2001 Canes scored over 60 points on a ranked Washington team that was very good (even with an "old school" offense). We had a talent advantage over LSU at every position except QB. At RB, our advantage was huge.

The only way LSU would win is if Dorsey had a bad day (like against BC).

Give LSU props for a very strong season (beating so many ranked opponents) but in terms of overall talent, the 2001 Canes will never be matched and they would win 9 out of every 10 games played (with the only losses being if Dorsey had a bad day). It has nothing to do with his arm strength (his arm was strong enough to play in the NFL). He did however have some rare off days (just like Trevor Lawrence did last night).

2001 Canes is the greatest team of all time.
All true, but that Penn State team finished with a losing record.

The Nebraska team we beat for the title dropped to 8th in the final AP poll
-Next highest ranked team was 10-3 Syracuse which finished 14th
-Then 8-4 FSU at 15th
-Then 8-4 VTech at 18th
-Then 8-4 Washington at 19th
-And 8-4 BC at 21st

The rest of our schedule was total ****, with freshman Chris Rix and FSU being the most dynamic passing offense we faced all season.

In Miami's defense, 2001 was a weird season where they were the only elite team, and the season finished even weirder. On Thanksgiving weekend Nebraska got blown out by Colorado and Okie St. gave Oklahoma their 2nd loss.

-The following week on December 1st, 1 loss Florida was ranked 2nd, and lost to 1 loss Tennessee (game was postponed because of 9/11), sending the Volunteers to the SEC title game.

-That same day, 1 loss Texas was ranked 3rd, and got beat by 2 loss Colorado in the Big 12 title game.

-The next week, Tennessee was now ranked 2nd with 1 loss, but they lost the SEC title game to an 8-3 LSU team.

The BCS was completely smashed by that point because the rest of the top 10 was a cluster****.
We had 19 of 22 starters drafted. 13 of those made NFL All Pro. Not even close that this wasn't and still isn't the best team of all time.

LSU had a great year. Electric offense. Outgunned everyone

They're not beating the '01 Canes. We dominated with that old school style and still put up 42 per game with a 32+ margin of victory. Defense was all time legendary. This isn't a debate

The coaching difference is vast.

2001 Canes didn’t really beat anyone all year and got somewhat lucky with an easy schedule. Even the Nebraska team we beat in the Rose Bowl had lost the week previous to Colorado.

The same team in 2002 was exposed against Ohio State. Pass interference or no, we got handled in that game.

Hardly the same team. The secondary was totally different and therefore our turnover numbers plunged. We had lots of name brand replacements but you don't lose guys like Reed, Shockey, McKinnie, etc. without feeling it.

Let's put it this way: Throughout 2001 I didn't care who we played. But in 2002 I desperately rooted against Ohio State beginning in September. It was blatantly obvious that was the nightmare opponent. They resembled the 1986 Penn State and 1992 Alabama teams. Blue collar smart and tough. Extremely talented. I can still envision all the close escapes Ohio State had -- at Cincinnati, at Wisconsin, home to Penn State, at Purdue, at Illinois, hosting Michigan. Just lose one of those games and Miami cruises in the title game against anyone else. USC was very talented but 2 losses eliminated them early.

The worst part of that season was drawing Syracuse and Virginia Tech in the final two games and running up the score. That was guaranteed to give the Canes a false sense of offensive confidence against Ohio State.

I'll never forget when Ed Salmons of the Imperial Palace walked up to the board during halftime of the Miami/Virginia Tech game and put up the first number in town on Miami versus Ohio State. He hung up Canes -15.5

I told him he was out of his mind. Salmons scoffed at me, "Are you watching this game?"

Who cares? I told him it was not relevant in the slightest.

Jay Kornegay was running the Imperial Palace at that point. Eventually he got the top job at the Hilton and brought Salmons with him. They are sharp guys but in those early years they tended to overreact to a recent outcome.

The spread eventually settled at -11.5. It was Miami's greatest favoritism in a championship game.

The other numbers were:

* 1983 +11.5 hosting Nebraska
* 1985 -7 versus Tennessee
* 1986 -7.5 versus Penn State
* 1987 +3 hosting Oklahoma
* 1989 -8 versus Alabama
* 1991 -9 hosting Nebraska
* 1992 -6.5 versus Alabama
* 1994 -1 hosting Nebraska
* 2001 -8.5 versus Nebraska

Advertisement
LSU had a great year. Electric offense. Outgunned everyone

They're not beating the '01 Canes. We dominated with that old school style and still put up 42 per game with a 32+ margin of victory. Defense was all time legendary. This isn't a debate
Right, shouldn't even have to debate.

Outscored the 5 ranked teams on their schedule 236 to 72 and led Nebraska in the Rose Bowl 34 to 0 at the half. And, if you look at comparison of the positions only QB would LSU have the advantage.
If you think Burrow would've been an advantage over Dorsey I don't know what to tell you....He went 39-2 (really 40-1) as a starter....and for all the "But...But he had a Plethora of Talent Around him" BS....So has every other NC Winning QB since forever....
Lol...as if Burrow...Tua...Frazier...Tebow etc...didnt QB teams that weren't stacked...

Sleep on Dorsey all ya want...Not a QB in CFB out there, that studied Gamefilm like him...And F all the "But he almost blew the BC game in 01" Faqquits.....Kenny Shut EVERYONES mouth at Greentree in 99/2000 when he eviscerated Defenses in practices that fielded 1st Ballot HOFers....and Btw...those practices made UM actual games feel like a day at the beach...any doubters can hit @dsddcane up and ask him if what I just stated isn't 100% fact...

If you think Burrow would've been an advantage over Dorsey I don't know what to tell you....He went 39-2 (really 40-1) as a starter....and for all the "But...But he had a Plethora of Talent Around him" BS....So has every other NC Winning QB since forever....
Lol...as if Burrow...Tua...Frazier...Tebow etc...didnt QB teams that weren't stacked...

These are Dorsey's stats during his career @ MIA. Burrow almost eclipsed his entire career in 1 season. LMAO. Not to mention He's a Heisman winner, and is going to be the projected #1 overall pick in the NFL draft.

Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 5.31.49 AM.png

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back