2022 ‘23 5* Lebbeus Overton reclassifies to '22

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it were at least a nice place to live, i could suspend disbelief. But can’t get there. No

Advertisement
I’ve been trying to wrap my head around how this could happen (but I haven’t actually done any research at all lol) for a few days now.

Who can put the salary cap on? Right now, I’d say no one. The NCAA has no authority if the players aren’t employees.

Complicating things even further is how each state has its own NIL laws, so I’m sure some senator from a state with unfavorable NIL laws will come forward soon enough. I’m not even sure what Congress could do, if they wanted to step in.

To me, it seems like a salary cap would have to be agreed upon by all ncaa member institutions, which is unlikely to happen. aTm budget is much different from Arky State.

I think more likely is we see the players deemed employees, and then see P5 break off. It might take a decade, but what is happening now isn’t sustainable.

Congress could just use the tax code. They just need the IRS to audit the market value of the NiL for these players, if the NIL payment is above a fair market value for the actual services provided then lose your 501c3 and tax it as a gift and those making the donations to the foundation lose the tax deduction…. There are ways.

You mad bruh? Still no mention of coaches. You’re still trying to blame “the kids”.
And for the record, you don’t know what the fck I know. Your last sentence sounded like a butt hurt hater lol..
Mad lol at what?

I was gonna go back and forth but that's waste with alot of you.

Your clearly bias and can't look past your nose.

Advertisement
the last guy in line isn't happy to be there. he's happy to get a scholarship. kids are not going to walk on when they could go be on scholarship at another Power 5 school. when kids have been asked to greyshirt they have almost always gone and found a school that valued them enough to give them a scholarship.
Look, I’m not in flavor of doing this, but I can easily see how it could work. You aren’t greyshirting a kid- you’re not asking him to hang in there until next year when you have a scholarship for him. You’re giving him the exact same thing as a scholarship, but a private entity pays, not the school. Why should it matter who pays the bill if you get tuition, room and board, and you’re on the team?

Look, I’m not in flavor of doing this, but I can easily see how it could work. You aren’t greyshirting a kid- you’re not asking him to hang in there until next year when you have a scholarship for him. You’re giving him the exact same thing as a scholarship, but a private entity pays, not the school. Why should it matter who pays the bill if you get tuition, room and board, and you’re on the team?
yeah but the exact same thing as a scholarship is not a scholarship. a scholarship is a signifier of value and respect that still matters to kids. kids haven't historically accepted greyshirts for that reason, it has little to do w/ the financial aspect of paying for school. being asked to greyshirt is implicitly being told that you're less important than 25 other players being brought in at the same time as you and most kids and their families are simply not going to accept that just so that they can get on Texas A&M's (or whoever's) roster

Congress could just use the tax code. They just need the IRS to audit the market value of the NiL for these players, if the NIL payment is above a fair market value for the actual services provided then lose your 501c3 and tax it as a gift and those making the donations to the foundation lose the tax deduction…. There are ways.
That’s assuming every sponsoring entity is organized as a 501c3.

If someone like Ruiz is willing to pay employment tax on the payments made to the athletes, who is Congress to tell him what the FMV is?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, no?

Stewart will be on bench for at least two years, no way he plays over them phenoms at DT Walter Nolen, Gabriel Downlow, Anthony Lucas and the current guys on the roster
Now Nolen is on another level. But people can’t start bashing the kids talent cause he didn’t pick us. He’s better than anyone they signed other than Nolen. Just have to see who all develops. But yeah he will be on the bench 2 years regardless.

Advertisement
Is A&M gonna be so generous when it comes time to keep all these guys happy?

They won’t be able to hold onto all of them.

We need to keep the lines of communication open with anybody we lose to their bags.

What is A&M going to run, a 7-2-2?
I mean... If you have all the top players, even if theyre riding the bench... They cant play for your opponents 😂 A&M is banking on having a good couple years, win a championship or 2 maybe. 2 or 3 transfer out and next man up. This is all legal now, right? Just jealous because it's not us.

Advertisement
That’s assuming every sponsoring entity is organized as a 501c3.

If someone like Ruiz is willing to pay employment tax on the payments made to the athletes, who is Congress to tell him what the FMV is?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, no?

Agreed, but most of these BS entities are 501c3…the legitimate ones like Ruiz are transparent, paying a market rate, and shouldn’t have an issue. Also, they aren’t tax write offs for boosters which is where the shady stuff is happening.

Is A&M gonna be so generous when it comes time to keep all these guys happy?

They won’t be able to hold onto all of them.

We need to keep the lines of communication open with anybody we lose to their bags.
That's what I have been saying.

$30M to the 29 kids who signed for 2022.

But what about the 56 athletes on the team now? How much is Texas A&M willing to pay them?

Think of it like an NFL player, before the days of a rookie salary cap. Imagine you are Isaac Bruce. You've been on the Rams for five years and are on a $1.25M per year contract that does not expire for two years. You're a star player. But then the Rams draft Torry Holt and are paying him $3M per year, when Holt has not done anything on an NFL field. Bruce is going to ask for a raise, and potentially hold out until his salary is raised to match or exceed that of Holt.

Are the Aggies prepared to inflate that $30M to $50 or $70M this year, because that is what may be required. Texas A&M signed a five star defensive lineman in the 2021 class. He did not get $1M a year ago. Why should he get paid any less than Shemar is now, and why shouldn't he get paid more given that he has a year in the system and is ready to play this upcoming season.

Mad lol at what?

I was gonna go back and forth but that's waste with alot of you.

Your clearly bias and can't look past your nose.
The difference is the difference, but your type wouldn’t know anything about that.

Advertisement
I think this could all blow up, spectacularly even, on Jimbo. He just isn't that guy. Very few college coaches are. You're no longer dealing with guys who you can hold out playing time or scholarships.

Not going to play me? F you. I'm hitting the portal.

Going to threaten to pull my scholly? F you. I got that legal NIL cash and am hitting the portal.

In less than a year, high school seniors now enjoy as much or even more bargaining power and leverage than most professional football players.

I'm going to enjoy the fireworks either way.

Last edited:
That's what I have been saying.

$30M to the 29 kids who signed for 2022.

But what about the 56 athletes on the team now? How much is Texas A&M willing to pay them?

Think of it like an NFL player, before the days of a rookie salary cap. Imagine you are Isaac Bruce. You've been on the Rams for five years and are on a $1.25M per year contract that does not expire for two years. You're a star player. But then the Rams draft Torry Holt and are paying him $3M per year, when Holt has not done anything on an NFL field. Bruce is going to ask for a raise, and potentially hold out until his salary is raised to match or exceed that of Holt.

Are the Aggies prepared to inflate that $30M to $50 or $70M this year, because that is what may be required. Texas A&M signed a five star defensive lineman in the 2021 class. He did not get $1M a year ago. Why should he get paid any less than Shemar is now, and why shouldn't he get paid more given that he has a year in the system and is ready to play this upcoming season.

There will be fallout, but I think it will be over playing time more than money.

You have all these 5 stars but only so many snaps. Good players will jump ship, especially when the Texas politics come into play. The best players will not always get the most snaps.

If Jimbo doesn’t hit on a quarterback, this will end up blowing up in his face.

There will be fallout, but I think it will be over playing time more than money.

You have all these 5 stars but only so many snaps. Good players will jump ship, especially when the Texas politics come into play. The best players will not always get the most snaps.

If Jimbo doesn’t hit on a quarterback, this will end up blowing up in his face.
They signed a 5* QB just gotta see how he develops. As ****ed as I am about Shemar. I gotta say I’d rather see this happen at A&M than Alabama, Georgia or LSU. Those schools have been plucking our top talent for years. He’s building a Georgia x2 caliber defense with this class. Well let me correct that buying not building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back