Coaching Jacory Harris - To me, A warning to Coach Cristobal

I think it's safe to say that ITS THE COACHES job to reel their players in, scale back, and, in this circumstance, give the QB simpler reads and routes that best suit his comfortability.

We've dawged Tyler to no end on here. We know he played badly. Our coaches coached just as bad. Blame goes even round here. We're definitely not going to pile in players more than coaches. That's so lame

Don't disagree with any of that…But what if it wasn't possible.

I think there is enough blame to go both ways, but I don't think it should be evenly distributed.

I saw some poor, poor throws to open receivers. And bad picks at the end of complete stare downs. In fact, I saw a pattern of it.

Advertisement
The best I can conjecture is that TVD starting making mistakes and MarioDawson decided to constrict the offense to less risk (3 yards in a cloud of dust). This may have led to further loss of confidence from TVD and a spiral downwards.

Somehow either coaches figured out how to properly deal with TVD's psyche or he just loosened up knowing he was out of here.

It seems like a failure to properly mentally and schematically deal with a bad QBing, failure to have proper QB backup and fear to so quickly restrict and constrict the O when mistakes were getting made.

my 2 cents

Don't disagree with any of that…But what if it wasn't possible.

I think there is enough blame to go both ways, but I don't think it should be evenly distributed.

I saw some poor, poor throws to open receivers. And bad picks at the end of complete stare downs. In fact, I saw a pattern of it.

Come on mane.... 🤦🏿. That's not even plausible.

They ended up benching him, they ended up scrapping parts of the playbook he didn't like.

So those 2 actions show it was possible and the coaches Should/Could have done better. I made a thread on here highlighting every single interception Tyler Made this season. They were all pretty bad, save for a hailmary or 2. So I know all too well how much he stank it up.

So you openly admit you don't think blame should be even? Even though we know and saw the coaches change things up to make the game more comfortable Tyler, and it worked? We're not going to be unfair here are we?

Any coach who continues to start a QB playing that badly is to blame.

When your whole argument is “ buh buh buh Tyler threw a thousand picks “ to defend the staff I pretty much just ignore you now. You refuse to talk about how the O looked the last two games and will avoid scheme related things to instead fellate the coaches. We all know why that is, the player is gone and the coach isn’t going anywhere. It’s a form of copium to put it all on a player. Coaches are beyond reproach until they aren’t. Then it’ll suddenly be all their fault with no blame on the players. When in fact it should always be spresd around equally.

Something else i find funny is people rip Tyler saying he makes one read and can’t throw against zone. Well if that’s the case and so obvious why did our HC bring him back not once but twice? While getting him a huge Nil bag?I mean it’s obvious right? Why did he keep throwing him out there injured knowing all this ? Why didn’t he bring in a backup to at least challenge him like other schools did? Instead riding with a true Fr as a backup. Lastly If he‘s in fact a one read qb that needs a simple offense why bring in two OC’s / schemes that doesn’t cater to his skill set ? Once again Mario went out of his way to hitch his wagon to the guy “who can’t read defenses or zone coverages”. On top of that he struggled last year too. So we can’t act like him having issues was out of the realm of possibility.

I keep asking these questions but I’ve yet to receive a good answer so I’ll just shut Up now. I get it. The coaches are beyond reproach and there’s nothing on their resume‘s that could cause one to dare question them.

Preach my man

Mario’s approach to QBs and OCs needs to improve if we’re gonna reach the levels we are all hoping for

Was that Dawson or TVD though?
We don't know.
Far be it from me to insert myself into a pi$$ing contest with people who can't imagine that their perspective isn't THE ONLY perspective out there, but the truth of the matter is...it was probably a little of both. Dawson didn't call the right play all the time; TVD didn't execute the right call all the time. Why is this so hard to grasp?

This myopic world we live in is crazy

Advertisement
I was wondering something similar. I know Field was hired because of his recruiting ties but tight end production under him was excellent. I think our issues at TE this year had more to do with Arroyo being hurt than coaching though. Mc Cormick is what he is. He would have ideally been a TE2 for short yardage situations where we needed the extra blocker. The biggest issue I had wasn't that Mc Cormick didn't produce as a receiver, it's that they insisted on using TEs on almost every play even though it was clearly one of the weakest/least experienced positions on offense. I know you can't just use 4 WR on every play but given that our WR#4 was our most explosive player, keeping him off the field in favor of a one-dimensional tight end hurt our scoring ability.
Here’s the thing though -

Last year (different offense and OC) Arroyo was used as a run blocker mostly. He tore his ACL blocking.

This year - when he came back in a limited snap basis, they used him as a blocking tight end again. He got re-injured (thankfully nothing serious but did keep him out 2 additional games) run blocking.

I saw him catch one pass, if I removed correctly. The TE usage seems to be of limited use on purpose via passing with Skinner not getting any time (I heard - he can’t run block, work ethic, blah, blah, blah). You find a way to use him. That’s coaching.

So you openly admit you don't think blame should be even? Even though we know and saw the coaches change things up to make the game more comfortable Tyler, and it worked? We're not going to be unfair here are we?

Even? no

I saw full Chuck Knoblach

I mean...

You can find SOMETHING wrong with any offense in the country if you look hard enough...especially if it's the first year of said OC.
Surely yall don't expect a new OC's offense to be elite at everything in year one, do you?

If this much improvement was made in year one, with holdover players from last season, wouldn't common sense tell us that we're only gonna get better next season?

It's like "Yeah we improved vastly, but we could've done this, this and this better."

Well no ****. LOL
That can be said about our defense too, and I don't think anybody here doesn't love Guidry.
We are the University of Miami!

Common sense hasn’t applied here for 18+ years.

I know this. This ain't the NFL and when they ask their WRs to do it its typically a pretty big dude.

Saw the eagles ask this of a WR but It was the man child AJ Brown, not the little D.Smith.
Yes! I grew up an Eagles fan and watch all of their games. You are correct. AJ Brown or Julio Jones (both bigger receivers). Never with Devonte Smith aside from a mesh concept.

Advertisement
Here’s the thing though -

Last year (different offense and OC) Arroyo was used as a run blocker mostly. He tore his ACL blocking.

This year - when he came back in a limited snap basis, they used him as a blocking tight end again. He got re-injured (thankfully nothing serious but did keep him out 2 additional games) run blocking.

I saw him catch one pass, if I removed correctly. The TE usage seems to be of limited use on purpose via passing with Skinner not getting any time (I heard - he can’t run block, work ethic, blah, blah, blah). You find a way to use him. That’s coaching.
Arroyo caught a pass against BC. It was his one catch on the season.

Skinner is still a mystery. We heard he didn't play because he couldn't block. Now, they still could have used him as a defacto WR but he's also had drop issues. Nobody gives any reasons for anything on this staff so it's just some weird guessing game for us. Is he hurt? If so, how bad? Is he suspended? For what? Is he struggling? With what? I know Skinner didn't play in 4 games this year so they could redshirt him if he doesn't transfer.

The best I can conjecture is that TVD starting making mistakes and MarioDawson decided to constrict the offense to less risk (3 yards in a cloud of dust). This may have led to further loss of confidence from TVD and a spiral downwards.

Somehow either coaches figured out how to properly deal with TVD's psyche or he just loosened up knowing he was out of here.

It seems like a failure to properly mentally and schematically deal with a bad QBing, failure to have proper QB backup and fear to so quickly restrict and constrict the O when mistakes were getting made.

my 2 cents
From my point of view, the scale down of the offense began after UNC (that’s when TVD got really ****ed up - Ribs, Knee, shoulder, etc). Up until that UNC game, he only had the thumb ligament issue. He played pretty well through that except for the GT game. That was all on TVD that game.

UVA onward, coaching scale down to the extra power Of Bro Ball.

In a condensed set playing Broball when he has to take on a linebacker or a defensive end on a C-Gap run, abso****inglutley!!!!

We aren’t talking run blocking out in space vs a DB, like in a tunnel screen or for a running back out in space, you loon!

emmmmm so which WR should be out there blocking in 13 besides X there mister coach???

emmmmm so which WR should be out there blocking in 13 besides X there mister coach???
Ladson & Redding!

Now **** off!!

go fuck yourself middle finger GIF by IFC

Advertisement
What are you even typing about? X can not and should not be run blocking inline in heavy sets. He's 5'10 185. You could get him seriously hurt. Do you not understand that we're not running a tempo offense and we're allowing the opponent to bring in heavy personnel when we do this?
That means X could be blocking a guy twice his size? Name me 5 great offensive coaches that would put a small slot receiver in that position? Matter of fact, show me.

X is not that kind of run blocker and no slot receiver on the planet is. Are you mentally void of understanding football nuance? You're really exposing yourself as a ward of a game. You should let your fingers rest, sir. You're showing yourself as absolutely clueless defending this BS. It should be embarrassing to you but you think you're smarter than you are so there's that.

Do Better Abbey Lee GIF by Lovecraft Country

well youre obviously youre better OC than Dawson....BTW where is this screen shot of X in 13 personal that has yall so hot??

When your whole argument is “ buh buh buh Tyler threw a thousand picks “ to defend the staff I pretty much just ignore you now. You refuse to talk about how the O looked the last two games and will avoid scheme related things to instead fellate the coaches. We all know why that is, the player is gone and the coach isn’t going anywhere. It’s a form of copium to put it all on a player. Coaches are beyond reproach until they aren’t. Then it’ll suddenly be all their fault with no blame on the players. When in fact it should always be spresd around equally.

Love the use of "copium".

Advertisement

Something else i find funny is people rip Tyler saying he makes one read and can’t throw against zone. Well if that’s the case and so obvious why did our HC bring him back not once but twice? While getting him a huge Nil bag?I mean it’s obvious right? Why did he keep throwing him out there injured knowing all this ? Why didn’t he bring in a backup to at least challenge him like other schools did? Instead riding with a true Fr as a backup. Lastly If he‘s in fact a one read qb that needs a simple offense why bring in two OC’s / schemes that doesn’t cater to his skill set ? Once again Mario went out of his way to hitch his wagon to the guy “who can’t read defenses or zone coverages”. On top of that he struggled last year too. So we can’t act like him having issues was out of the realm of possibility.

I keep asking these questions but I’ve yet to receive a good answer so I’ll just shut Up now. I get it. The coaches are beyond reproach and there’s nothing on their resume‘s that could cause one to dare question them.
Serious Question.

We saw basically the same goalline plays from TAMU with Colbie and Jacolby in the BC game. Also motion was more like it was early in the season.

WTF were these plays/motions for the meat of the schedule?

Even if we accept that Mario is restricting Dawson (Which I don't buy outside of running plays - Moorehead passing concepts v. Gattis v. Dawson are all quite different), did he not restrict him against TAMU, then restrict him again, only to not restrict him against BC? Very puzzling and doesn't add up.

I mean...

You can find SOMETHING wrong with any offense in the country if you look hard enough...especially if it's the first year of said OC.
Surely yall don't expect a new OC's offense to be elite at everything in year one, do you?

If this much improvement was made in year one, with holdover players from last season, wouldn't common sense tell us that we're only gonna get better next season?

It's like "Yeah we improved vastly, but we could've done this, this and this better."

Well no ****. LOL
That can be said about our defense too, and I don't think anybody here doesn't love Guidry.

Your argument is based on the premise that last year is the right denominator to benchmark performance. A lot of us look at 2023 vs 2021, and compare the personnel from Lashlee's last year to the personnel Dawson/Mario had to work with this season. I at least feel the 2021 offense was dramatically less talented, and yet see far better production.

The same benchmark assessment works with Guidry. His defenses are better not only than Steele's, but also Manny's. So it's it's consistent to be happy with him and unhappy with Dawson (or Mario, as the case may be).

Advertisement
Back