Coaching Jacory Harris - To me, A warning to Coach Cristobal

Serious Question.

We saw basically the same goalline plays from TAMU with Colbie and Jacolby in the BC game. Also motion was more like it was early in the season.

WTF were these plays/motions for the meat of the schedule?

Even if we accept that Mario is restricting Dawson (Which I don't buy outside of running plays - Moorehead passing concepts v. Gattis v. Dawson are all quite different), did he not restrict him against TAMU, then restrict him again, only to not restrict him against BC? Very puzzling and doesn't add up.

The conspiracy theory i read on here is that after we scored 41 on Temple is when Mario implemented his own offensive playbook at the behest of Dawson

Advertisement
And it all started when we didn't get an adequate backup in the portal last off season when anyone with half a brain knows you don't bet a $50 Million budget on one guy.
Yeah we’ve played the blame game enough

The problem is how Mario managed the position

Everything else is just symptoms to the bigger issue

When you mismanage the most critical spot on the roster, like no **** you’re asking for problems

And it all started when we didn't get an adequate backup in the portal last off season when anyone with half a brain knows you don't bet a $50 Million budget on one guy.

Facts. This why you can't say BS LIKE " Was it Tyler or the coaches". The coaches run the team and they're the reason why we had no one to replace Tyler when he went psycho T mid season. That's not anyone fault but the coaches.

Mario putting all his eggs in Tyler's basket ruined the season, and trickled down into effecting the performance and offseason decisions of everyone on the team.

Our offense managed to pull off the feat of being both heavily reliant on quarterback play while wanting to be heavily reliant on a physical run game. Without good quarterback play, our offense might as well have been Gattis'.

Advertisement
Your argument is based on the premise that last year is the right denominator to benchmark performance. A lot of us look at 2023 vs 2021, and compare the personnel from Lashlee's last year to the personnel Dawson/Mario had to work with this season. I at least feel the 2021 offense was dramatically less talented, and yet see far better production.

The same benchmark assessment works with Guidry. His defenses are better not only than Steele's, but also Manny's. So it's it's consistent to be happy with him and unhappy with Dawson (or Mario, as the case may be).
Why would 2021 be a fair benchmark when that wasn't Lashlee's first season running his system here?
That comparison doesn't make sense either.

A brief look at Lashlee's first season and Dawson's first season, the numbers are pretty similar. (we run the ball better now though)
And Lashlee had Brevin Jordan, Rambo, Harley, King at QB and a non-braindead TVD.

Last edited:
Here’s the thing though -

Last year (different offense and OC) Arroyo was used as a run blocker mostly. He tore his ACL blocking.

This year - when he came back in a limited snap basis, they used him as a blocking tight end again. He got re-injured (thankfully nothing serious but did keep him out 2 additional games) run blocking.

I saw him catch one pass, if I removed correctly. The TE usage seems to be of limited use on purpose via passing with Skinner not getting any time (I heard - he can’t run block, work ethic, blah, blah, blah). You find a way to use him. That’s coaching.
With all due respect, this sounds like the "why my son ain't playing" stuff that we hear from our parents.
Fact of the matter is, most people outside the program don't know why a kid isn't playing. They don't know the kids physical and mental limitations.

When I trot my starting 11 out there on Friday nights, do you think it's actually my best 11 athletes? No!
It's the 11 that work hard, play hard and know their assignments. Coaches don't take chances with kids they can't count on, simple as that. Doesn't matter how athletic they are...because in big games that kid is likely going to make mistakes that are hard to overcome.
Plus, you don't reward crap effort/focus. That's the bottom line.

The TE usage is minimal because they give us nothing in the pass game. They're as stiff as Macho in a room full of Latinas.

I know this. This ain't the NFL and when they ask their WRs to do it its typically a pretty big dude.

Saw the eagles ask this of a WR but It was the man child AJ Brown, not the little D.Smith.
Correct, it isn't the NFL, and the guys that X is blocking aren't NFL defenders either.

I mean, have you seen any of our WR's get blown up?
I don't recall it. Definitely never saw it happen to X.

This concept isn't really uncommon today.

Advertisement
Why would 2021 be a fair benchmark when that wasn't Lashlee's first season running his system here?
That comparison doesn't make sense either.

A brief look at Lashlee's first season and Dawson's first season, the numbers are pretty similar. (we run the ball better now though)
And Lashlee had Brevin Jordan, Rambo, Harley, King at QB and a non-braindead TVD.
Rambo wasn't there in 2020 though. Lashlee was working with Dee Wiggins and Mark Pope who honestly wouldn't have been in the rotation at all this year. Not a single lineman on the 2020 team would be starting this year either. 2023 Miami offense is better at every position outside of tight end.

I get the year one to year one comparison though. But Lashlee didn't get an FCS team to pad stats against in 2020 either.

With all due respect, this sounds like the "why my son ain't playing" stuff that we hear from our parents.
Fact of the matter is, most people outside the program don't know why a kid isn't playing. They don't know the kids physical and mental limitations.

When I trot my starting 11 out there on Friday nights, do you think it's actually my best 11 athletes? No!
It's the 11 that work hard, play hard and know their assignments. Coaches don't take chances with kids they can't count on, simple as that. Doesn't matter how athletic they are...because in big games that kid is likely going to make mistakes that are hard to overcome.

The TE usage is minimal because they give us nothing in the pass game. They're as stiff as Macho in a room full of Latinas.
I am with you. I agree with everything you say and I’ll take your word on the Latinas in the room.

I get it regarding Skinner. I’ve heard things as to why he’s not playing. You can only coach so much and be there for a player so much as they need to hold themselves accountable and take matters into their own hands.

Not getting the playing time is the lesson.

To whom it may concern: I understand what you’re saying and I respect that but I honestly think that you are giving Tyler Van Yikes more credit than he deserves. I believe Mario truly tried to help get Van Yikes drafted and gave him every opportunity to succeed but don’t be Koy to think that he had a choice to get a good portal Qb with Van Yikes coming back. Because I bet the UM brass wanted to keep Van Yikes and Mario had to just be patient and stay in his lane. Me personally would’ve sent him packing after his blackmailing/ threatening to get a better NIL deal or going to Bama. But again Mario gave him the benefit of the doubt. But now he’s sure of who Tyler Van Yikes is and he is moving accordingly and he’s going to bring in someone worth its NIL. Fingers crossed 🤞🏻 😅

There’s many questions asked here and answered with speculation, conjecture, and assumptions because the reality is none us know exactly why a particular player isn’t playing, why a certain play was called, or any number of other questions. Only the HC, OC, or DC can answer any of those questions with certainty.

Sure, some of the guys that know the game can break down a play and question why it might have been called, but it’s still speculation at best. They can even wonder why a certain player was used in a certain play call or why another wasn’t used. Again, the only people that can answer those questions with certainty are those directly involved

Advertisement
When your whole argument is “ buh buh buh Tyler threw a thousand picks “ to defend the staff I pretty much just ignore you now. You refuse to talk about how the O looked the last two games and will avoid scheme related things to instead fellate the coaches. We all know why that is, the player is gone and the coach isn’t going anywhere. It’s a form of copium to put it all on a player. Coaches are beyond reproach until they aren’t. Then it’ll suddenly be all their fault with no blame on the players. When in fact it should always be spresd around equally.

Something else i find funny is people rip Tyler saying he makes one read and can’t throw against zone. Well if that’s the case and so obvious why did our HC bring him back not once but twice? While getting him a huge Nil bag?I mean it’s obvious right? Why did he keep throwing him out there injured knowing all this ? Why didn’t he bring in a backup to at least challenge him like other schools did? Instead riding with a true Fr as a backup. Lastly If he‘s in fact a one read qb that needs a simple offense why bring in two OC’s / schemes that doesn’t cater to his skill set ? Once again Mario went out of his way to hitch his wagon to the guy “who can’t read defenses or zone coverages”. On top of that he struggled last year too. So we can’t act like him having issues was out of the realm of possibility.

I keep asking these questions but I’ve yet to receive a good answer so I’ll just shut Up now. I get it. The coaches are beyond reproach and there’s nothing on their resume‘s that could cause one to dare question them.
GTech and UNC was on TVD for throwing interceptions. But I don’t even think TVD played horrible against UNC, the defense couldn’t stop big plays that game. Then he got even more hurt and we had to turn to emory, which is why the offense went into a shell against Clemson. But make no mistake the offensive system was not the problem against GTech and UNC. Clemson with Emory imo is also not on the coaches. In fact I’d say they were 100% correct in what they did. We had a true freshman starting against Clemson who ended the season allowing the 6th fewest yards/play in the nation - and we won.

After Clemson TVD returned at not full health and literally couldn’t throw 10+ yards down field with power, and then that compounded to him having a mental break. He already was throwing dumbass interceptions against GTech and UNC, but this was far worse. He literally had 2.4 y/an and 0:2 TD:INT. Thats worse than Emory even had against Clemson. So here is imo probably the biggest complaint against the coaches decision making regarding qb - playing TVD against UVA. The offense stayed in that shell because A) TVD was still hurt, B) TVD was making truly dumbass decisions with the ball when throwing 10+ yards. TVD can make pretty much all the throws when healthy. He can also make dumbass decisions on his best days. But usually the good far putweighs the bad with him. 5 big time throws is better than 1-2 turnover worthy throws are bad. But with him being hurt all we were left with was his bad. And that’s makes him a horrible qb. And he’s a guy that is streaky. But without him being 100% he wasn’t able to break the negative streak he was on. So basically this forced the coaches to making UVA and NCst the same offense as if Emory was there. But NCSt was even worse than uva. Then for FSU it got to the point the coaches finally decided it wasn’t getting better. So for fsu we pretty much had the same offense.

So really all this complaining about our offense is REALLY about 2 games - UVA and NCSt. Clemson and FSU with Emory imo don’t count at all. 8 good offensive games by OC, 2 bad -ish. 4+ bad games by qb.

Actually there are some similarities. In 09 after a few games of Whippleball Randy got involved in the offense to put a lid on it. He gagged the assistant coaches from the media. There's some nice video out there somewhere of Randy and Whipple having a spirited disagreement on the sideline.

What a shame it would be to bring in all these WRs and have them on the bench because we are being FYZICAL.

I don’t think RS interfered in the offense. I think after our GT game our opponents caught on to our max pro schemes and adjusted accordingly. That actually happened this year too.

You do if you are at or near the top in conference rurnovers.
What’s your point? If your QB isn’t good enough, bench him. Whose fault is it he couldn’t get out of the slump and kept getting put out there?

If you don’t have anybody good enough behind him that you can bench him, whose fault is that? Who refused to go get a portal QB last year?

Advertisement
What’s your point? If your QB isn’t good enough, bench him. Whose fault is it he couldn’t get out of the slump and kept getting put out there?

If you don’t have anybody good enough behind him that you can bench him, whose fault is that? Who refused to go get a portal QB last year?
He kept us hostage last year and late. Who were we bringing in? How many portal QBs want to compete? No many and nobody worth a ****.

Dawson was very clear how he works. He wants his guys to work through their issues. I would have pulled TVD at halftime against UVA. I would have started Williams against NC State. Not how Dawson rolls.

At least TVD did us a favor and portaling as soon as it opens.

He kept us hostage last year and late. Who were we bringing in? How many portal QBs want to compete? No many and nobody worth a ****.

Dawson was very clear how he works. He wants his guys to work through their issues. I would have pulled TVD at halftime against UVA. I would have started Williams against NC State. Not how Dawson rolls.

This thread is about coaching. You just outlined how Mario let TVD hold the team hostage and how Dawson hamstrung the team by letting TVD work through his issues. You’re proving my point.

GTech and UNC was on TVD for throwing interceptions. But I don’t even think TVD played horrible against UNC, the defense couldn’t stop big plays that game. Then he got even more hurt and we had to turn to emory, which is why the offense went into a shell against Clemson. But make no mistake the offensive system was not the problem against GTech and UNC. Clemson with Emory imo is also not on the coaches. In fact I’d say they were 100% correct in what they did. We had a true freshman starting against Clemson who ended the season allowing the 6th fewest yards/play in the nation - and we won.

After Clemson TVD returned at not full health and literally couldn’t throw 10+ yards down field with power, and then that compounded to him having a mental break. He already was throwing dumbass interceptions against GTech and UNC, but this was far worse. He literally had 2.4 y/an and 0:2 TD:INT. Thats worse than Emory even had against Clemson. So here is imo probably the biggest complaint against the coaches decision making regarding qb - playing TVD against UVA. The offense stayed in that shell because A) TVD was still hurt, B) TVD was making truly dumbass decisions with the ball when throwing 10+ yards. TVD can make pretty much all the throws when healthy. He can also make dumbass decisions on his best days. But usually the good far putweighs the bad with him. 5 big time throws is better than 1-2 turnover worthy throws are bad. But with him being hurt all we were left with was his bad. And that’s makes him a horrible qb. And he’s a guy that is streaky. But without him being 100% he wasn’t able to break the negative streak he was on. So basically this forced the coaches to making UVA and NCst the same offense as if Emory was there. But NCSt was even worse than uva. Then for FSU it got to the point the coaches finally decided it wasn’t getting better. So for fsu we pretty much had the same offense.

So really all this complaining about our offense is REALLY about 2 games - UVA and NCSt. Clemson and FSU with Emory imo don’t count at all. 8 good offensive games by OC, 2 bad -ish. 4+ bad games by qb.
He threw 1 int and other than that the O played well enough to win. The other int came on the last play of the game. We got blew out because the d couldn’t stop UNC in the third quarter when they went tempo. Then players came out and said they wasn’t prepared for that. That’s TVD‘s fault too? You want to hand that loss on him even though UNC scored 41 lol. Too funny. Like I said i‘ll shut up because nobody wants to answer any of my questions. It’s all Tvd’s fault even the GT game when the game was over if we kneeled lol. I give up.

You need to go look at all the portal qb’s that came in to compete , it’s a pretty good sized list. Ole Miss brought in two. But please keep making excuses. I mean the bar is low for Tvd so a pretty good to decent qb has us undefeated as Cis tells me lol.

ASU brought in Drew Pyne to challenge Rashada and Bourget
- Bama brought in Buchner to challenge Milroe and Simpson
- Oklahoma St brought in Alec Bowman to challenge Gundy's son and Rangel
- Brohm took Brady Allen from Purdue to challenge Jack Plummer
- Auburn brought in Payton Thorne to challenge Ashford and others
- TCU took Chance Nolan from Oregon St to give Chandler Morris some healthy competition
- Missouri took in Jake Garcia to battle Cook and Horn.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back