Coaching Dan Mullen OC Poll

Would Dan Mullen be a great fit as OC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hard to believe that anyone could have produced more with Sharkf*cker's talent than their own, but he did. Pass.

Advertisement
Here’s the problem with hiring a non recruiter as the OC/QB’s coach...

You’re leaving the QB evals up to Mario & McClendon.

Have Mario & BMac shown they can nail the QB position from an eval standpoint?

Because Oregon had a whole host of 4-star QB’s who didn’t take a snap & were beat out by Anthony Brown & about to get usurped by Bo Nix, two QB’s who are not very good...
LCE I posted earlier to another guy making Lashlee out to be a world class recruiter at QB while in Miami. But I referenced that fact that both guys Mullen recruited to UF are arguably on par (recruiting services wise) with Garcia and Jacurri. Emory Jones was a Top 100 per 247 (flipped from Ohio State by Dan Mullen).....and Anthony Richardson was a Top 200 QB per 247.

So now we couple Dan with Mario chasing these QBs and we will hit on a large share of 5*/Top 100 QBs. I mean Dan Enos, who we all love to hate, is the guy responsible for bringing in the guy who very well might wind up being our next Heisman winner - TVD.

I mean think about it, how many QBs are starting in the NFL right now? 32ish because idk what to say about my hometown Carolina Panthers QB situation right now. Mullen has developed one of those 32 who also happens to be a pro bowl caliber QB.

I know Mario isn't Urban Meyer but Urban Meyer wasn't Urban Meyer either before he got to UF and won 2 titles w/Dan as his OC......he was an up and coming HC at Bowling Green and Utah. Right now Mario is an up and coming HC from FIU and Oregon....looks like I'm on the minority side of this convo but I think Dan would absolutely kill it here as OC w/TVD/Garcia & Co.

As an X and O guy, he's up there with the very best. But not only does he have an aversion to recruiting, he apparently has a terrible eye for QB talent Not only did he stick with a mediocre Franks while Trask sat on the bench, he chased away Matt Corral because he thought Emory Jones was the goods. I'm sure @flagator86 has a lot more insight into his quarterback shenanigans.

Also, he seems dead set on a run-first modern veer style offense even though the best offense he ever fielded was the exact opposite. It's like he accidentally fell into Trask, had to switch up his scheme to fit him, broke every school record with that style offense and then went right back to using a fullback as a quarterback the next season.

Pass. Although it would be hilarious to see the tears if Mullett tore it up here.

The thing I wonder about Mullen is that our passing game in 2020 in my opinion was a by product of Brian Johnson being elevated to OC. Their were passing concepts and plays being ran last year I’ve never seen from Mullen (granted he never had a passer like Trask) and I HAVE to believe that it was due to the influence of Coach BJ. like you said, this year he went back to his outdated spread-run first offense and we were stuck in mud. HE IS WHO HE IS

Plus I think he’s too stubborn to coach UNDER Mario. I think he feels he could only work in college under Nick or Urban or in the NFL.

And add that he’s a net negative on the recruiting trail, forget about him.

Emory Jones & Anthony Richardson are God awful QB’s though, Richardson is practically a RB & Emory is a G5 level talent who’s highly inaccurate.

Those were horrendous evals bro, like really really bad, you seen them play right?
Lol I agree, I wouldn't want either of them on our squad. It does make it look bad that he got two back to back that look like JAGs right now....

At the same time, with all things considered, I think we'd have to agree that he's developed more successful college level QBs than not. I mean it looks like Jones and Rich would be the exception based instead of the other way around

Lol I agree, I wouldn't want either of them on our squad. It does make it look bad that he got two back to back that look like JAGs right now....

At the same time, with all things considered, I think we'd have to agree that he's developed more successful college level QBs than not. I mean it looks like Jones and Rich would be the exception based instead of the other way around
Other than Dak Prescott, not really.

I get where you’re coming from & as a pure play caller he’d probably be really good.

But there’s other drawbacks that makes him a bit of out of the box choice at best.

Would I take him over a litany of OC’s that have been mentioned recently who have very little experience or run a Pro style bro system? Yes. But is he a slam dunk home run choice? Idk, too many questions to say so definitively.

Ultimately, we really don’t know who Mario is even considering, other than Joe Brady there really hasn’t been a substantial name that has had any traction & he through his agent had Adam Schefter essentially say he’s not interested in college & wants to stay in the NFL. It’s all just been nothing but fan speculation, but no one really has any idea as to who the next OC will be...

We can do a lot worse than Mullen, but we could do a lot better too IMO, but we’ll see.

Advertisement
1640206334695.gif

The thing I wonder about Mullen is that our passing game in 2020 in my opinion was a by product of Brian Johnson being elevated to OC. Their were passing concepts and plays being ran last year I’ve never seen from Mullen (granted he never had a passer like Trask) and I HAVE to believe that it was due to the influence of Coach BJ. like you said, this year he went back to his outdated spread-run first offense and we were stuck in mud. HE IS WHO HE IS

Plus I think he’s too stubborn to coach UNDER Mario. I think he feels he could only work in college under Nick or Urban or in the NFL.

Huh-huh...you said "COACH BJ"...

1640206390945.png

Advertisement
So now we wouldn’t even take him as a coordinator....

Yet, just 12 months ago we crying that we missed out on him as HC in 2017.
This

people aren't using rational thought. we'd be lucky to have him as OC, although I'd take briles as well

He's shown historically that he's capable of running highly-ranked championship offenses that win at the highest level under an ******* coach.

Where? At Bowling Green under Urban Meyer? At Utah under Urban Meyer? At Florida under Urban Meyer?

Mullet is a neo maxi zoom dweebie who hasn't "shown historically that he's capable of running highly-ranked championship offenses that win at the highest level" except when he is employed by Urban Meyer. So maybe we should hire Urban Meyer as our OC.

Please explain to us where Mullet has "historically" shown these traits, outside of his ONE stint as an OC:

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1994–1995 Wagner (WR)
1996–1997 Columbia (WR)
1998 Syracuse (GA)[1]
1999–2000 Notre Dame (GA)
2001–2002 Bowling Green (QB)
2003–2004 Utah (QB)
2005–2008 Florida (OC/QB)
2009–2017 Mississippi State
2018–2021 Florida

2009 to present is irrelevant. Are we hiring him as a head coach? No, so throw that out.

The argument people in this thread are trying to make is that he's some goofy weirdo and because of that we couldn't win big with him as our OC.

There is tangible proof that this is wrong, and he has in fact been a successful OC for a program that won big, the **** "biggest" game you can win, in fact. Twice.

For a "culture-killer" that would be so weird we could never win with him, Dan Mullen did a number on that UF culture that won 2 titles, a Heisman trophy, went 57-12, and had a top 20 offense four straight years with him at OC.

I'll take that creep all day in the same role.

Emory Jones & Anthony Richardson are God awful QB’s though, Richardson is practically a RB & Emory is a G5 level talent who’s highly inaccurate.

Those were horrendous evals bro, like really really bad, you seen them play right?

You buggin on AR. The sky is the ceiling but like his QB coach has said, he gotta stop being mr nice guy and develop a killer instinct.

Advertisement

Out of curiosity, what are you thoughts on Brian Johnson as an OC? IF Florida had a defensive minded head coach and the OC was given full reigns, would you be happy with him coming back in that role or would feel like UF could do better?

Advertisement

I will say the passing offense in 2020 absolutely shocked me. I know they had some talented receivers but I had never seen anything like that in a Mullen offense anywhere before.

Dak Prescot carried the ball 536 times for 2521 yards at Mississippi State. In 2014 he carried the ball more than any other player on the roster. Almost every starting quarterback under Mullen at UF and MSU was a run heavy guy. Some were capable passers like Dak, others were just running backs who threw the ball occasionally.

Every person that reads this post should up vote it.

Think about what he has his quarterbacks do, and think about our quarterback stable.

This guy will only play quarterbacks that he thinks can run.

He has a fūcking well documented history of it.

He’s locked into that bullshlt - yes he’s a good play caller, but with his type of quarterback, so he’s not a guy we need or want.

Add to that his goofy offputting personality, so fūck him.

Advertisement
Back