Coaching Dan Mullen OC Poll

Would Dan Mullen be a great fit as OC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mullen would be a phenomenal OC hire and anyone who refutes that is just ignoring his body of work, but his corny and egotistical personality would prevent us from achieving top tier success; think we'd be consistently a 9-10 win team, occasional 11 wins.

And before you even remotely think to mention his offense this season...he almost beat Bama strictly running the ball with Emory trashcan Jones. Let that sink in.
I agree with most of what you mentioned. He is a different cut of steak personality wise, but I don't see that affecting our team negatively because Mario's as serious as they come when it comes to handling our business on the field.

Dan will be good at what he's good at, which is running an OFF.....likely translates into major success for about 2 years in the form of at least 1 ACC title then he'll be off to his next HC job.......win for both sides IMO

Advertisement
I'd take him in a heartbeat. For the 1 gazillionth time, the OC WITH OUT CURRENT SETUP DOESN'T NEED TO, NOR SHOULD HE HAVE RECRUITING RESPONSIBILITIES.

Whatever OC we sign will make his biggest contributions to recruiting by HELPING US WIN GAMES ON GAMEDAY. Our HC isn't a technical X's and O's kinda guy, HE'S A RECRUITER.
Bingo.

Case study #1.......Nobody considers Rhett Lashlee to be an ace recruiter and I'm here to say it now....had Lashlee decided to stay as OC, no one would've been talking about his recruiting ability or lack thereof......

That's true but he's also on the hook for recruiting both of them. Even then, he continued to go back to Jones despite Richardson being the superior passer.

It's almost like Mullet is so confident in his offense that he purposefully plays the worse player at quarterback just to show how good his scheme is.
My outsider take: I think he's a very good offensive mind. He had a great offense last year. I was really impressed with how they battled with Bama the last couple years. Physical running game. Very good OL. However, it looks like either he got tired or lazy and the team totally bailed on him. I think he'd be well served to either take a year off and recharge before trying his hand at HC again; or, serve as an OC and let him focus on his strengths w/out the burden of managing an entire program.

But wasn't he compelled to? Neither Jones nor Richardson are passers.
The fact that he seems so comfortable with guys who are not great passers, or even prefers them, is why I wouldn't want him here. Even when Trask was playing, he would constantly substitute in the middle of drives with Jones for no apparent reason. It would break the rhythm of the drives. He didn't do that to Franks, but he'd routinely disrepect the best QB he ever had.

Advertisement
The fact that he seems so comfortable with guys who are not great passers, or even prefers them, is why I wouldn't want him here. Even when Trask was playing, he would constantly substitute in the middle of drives with Jones for no apparent reason. It would break the rhythm of the drives. He didn't do that to Franks, but he'd routinely disrepect the best QB he ever had.
That's a fair point. Was he also OC when UF would play musical chairs with Leak and Tebow?

On the flip side, I like the "multiple-ness" of an offense that can be both pass-intensive yet also switch to a more bludgeoning style in certain situations. Gives the D different things to prep for.

Advertisement
Star Wars Vacation GIF by Disney Parks

I can totally see this line of thinking, even though i voted yes to the poll.

QBs are rhythm ppl and I'm not sure what he was doing when subbing in EJ....only thing I can think of was trying to keep a promise made about playing time in an effort to keep him from transferring, knowing that Trask was destined for the NFL in a few months. Outside of that, it makes zero sense to me.

I'm 50/50 on his preferring running style QBs because I think the Tebow experience was more Urban Meyer than Mullen....a case of the GM buying the groceries and the OC job is to make it work, which is why I think he'd excel with Mario and his recruiting ability. Dak Prescott wasn't a running QB but we would probably agree that Starkell was a run-first QB.

From where I'm sitting, when Mullen has a pass 1st QB he has been VERY successful. IMO he's the kind of guy who's best suited as either a high P5 OC or an NFL OC/HC....but on his way to that NFL gig I'd love to have him orchestrate our OFF right into our 1st ACC title.

Bingo.

Case study #1.......Nobody considers Rhett Lashlee to be an ace recruiter and I'm here to say it now....had Lashlee decided to stay as OC, no one would've been talking about his recruiting ability or lack thereof......
He recruited Jake Garcia (#8 QB in the nation) and Jacurri Brown (#17 QB in the nation) in back to back years. All while already having the #7 pro style qb recruit on campus already (TVD)

His high calling is as an OC under a top tier Head Coach. The stuff about Trask is true though. If Franks hadn’t been hurt, Trask isn’t Trask the gaytor GOAT. There’s hit or miss things about him. He’s made some bad QB evals but he’s a great OC nonetheless. I think I’d prefer Briles for scheme and less weird.
Was also playing Jones instead of Richardson; sort of the Manny Diaz of the offense.

Advertisement
I can totally see this line of thinking, even though i voted yes to the poll.

QBs are rhythm ppl and I'm not sure what he was doing when subbing in EJ....only thing I can think of was trying to keep a promise made about playing time in an effort to keep him from transferring, knowing that Trask was destined for the NFL in a few months. Outside of that, it makes zero sense to me.

I'm 50/50 on his preferring running style QBs because I think the Tebow experience was more Urban Meyer than Mullen....a case of the GM buying the groceries and the OC job is to make it work, which is why I think he'd excel with Mario and his recruiting ability. Dak Prescott wasn't a running QB but we would probably agree that Starkell was a run-first QB.

From where I'm sitting, when Mullen has a pass 1st QB he has been VERY successful. IMO he's the kind of guy who's best suited as either a high P5 OC or an NFL OC/HC....but on his way to that NFL gig I'd love to have him orchestrate our OFF right into our 1st ACC title.
Dak Prescot carried the ball 536 times for 2521 yards at Mississippi State. In 2014 he carried the ball more than any other player on the roster. Almost every starting quarterback under Mullen at UF and MSU was a run heavy guy. Some were capable passers like Dak, others were just running backs who threw the ball occasionally.

He recruited Jake Garcia (#8 QB in the nation) and Jacurri Brown (#17 QB in the nation) in back to back years. All while already having the #7 pro style qb recruit on campus already (TVD)
I think most would agree that having to recruit 1 player/position isn't nearly as difficult as what other position group coaches have to do in terms of recruiting. Then once you have your guy committed, you just stay on that one guy while maybe occasionally reaching out to other QBs just in case your guy flips on you.

LB/CB/S/RB/WR/OL etc all are responsible for recruiting multiple guys at the same time and (outside of maybe RB) need multiple guys to commit....so the board is significantly larger and the job is quite naturally significantly more difficult.

Not to downplay his Lashlee pulling Garcia and Jacurri because those guys are great talents. However, you can't forget that Emory Jones was a top 100 QB per 247 who got flipped from Ohio State by Mullen himself....and Anthony Richardson was a Top 200 QB per 247

So when we really look at the QB for QB recruiting chops of Lashlee at UM vs Mullen at UF......its probably dead even if not even a tad bit in Mullen's favor

Advertisement
I don't get it. Lots of you bemoaning the idea of Mario going with a power spread want Mullen? That's exactly what he runs.

Good play caller and in-game adjustment guy. Poor selection of starters, and poor relationships with players.

His resume as a play caller speaks for itself.

Grabbing a proven OC and former head coach as your OC is a Saban big time program move.

He's got years of top 15 offenses to his name and was in charge of championship-winning units.

No brainer.

Advertisement
Back