Coaching Dan Mullen OC Poll

Would Dan Mullen be a great fit as OC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Advertisement
Good coordinator but all the stories coming out about his lack of recruiting ability are pushing me to say no. Don't want a guy who can't recruit plain and simple especially when there are other options who are just as good coordinator wise but significantly better recruiters.

So now we wouldn’t even take him as a coordinator....

Yet, just 12 months ago we crying that we missed out on him as HC in 2017.
I know right. It’s not as if there were a series of events that transpired within the last 12 months that resulted on him being unemployed…. oh wait.

Advertisement
Mullen would be a phenomenal OC hire and anyone who refutes that is just ignoring his body of work, but his corny and egotistical personality would prevent us from achieving top tier success; think we'd be consistently a 9-10 win team, occasional 11 wins.

And before you even remotely think to mention his offense this season...he almost beat Bama strictly running the ball with Emory trashcan Jones. Let that sink in.

Joe Brady was the only name I fancied in terms of OCs who don’t recruit. Other than that, I don’t want an OC who’s a liability in recruiting.

We have a recruiter at HC, and can surround with recruiting position coaches. A guy like Mario needs X&O first coordinators. Not saying that's Mullen but recruiting doesn't need to be a prerequisite.

Advertisement
Great fit? No, not at all.

He'd put up a good/great offense for a year before bolting to his next gig. Not a good recruiter. Weirdo. Very short term rental. Give me Briles over him.

Edit: I wouldn't be mad if we hired him, I just think there's better choices for us at the moment.

I've always understood that the coordinators do less recruiting and more of the recruiting is passed onto the position coaches. I think he'd be a great hire. We have a HC that is a great recruiter in his own right and I suspect we'll build a good staff of position coaches on both sides of the ball that can recruit. So I'm not really concerned about his recruiting ability; if he can focus on coaching and Xs and Os on the offensive side of the ball, I think he'd do a fine job. He's likely over-qualified to be an OC at this stage of his career.

I’d rather have Briles or Dorsey. Is Mullen looking at OC jobs? I assumed he’d take an off field job this year to keep his full buyout, then look for another HC job after that. He had a lot of success at Miss St and, even at UF, things were going pretty well for him until this year.

Advertisement
Great fit? No, not at all.

He'd put up a good/great offense for a year before bolting to his next gig. Not a good recruiter. Weirdo. Very short term rental. Give me Briles over him.

Edit: I wouldn't be mad if we hired him, I just think there's better choices for us at the moment.
This is the answer. He won’t be a great fit. But he would probably be fine. Don’t think offense would be off the charts but it would be solid. I would worry about his recruiting and how he meshes with Mario.

But I think it would be fine. We could do better. We could do worse. I’d take Briles over him.

Advertisement
As an X and O guy, he's up there with the very best. But not only does he have an aversion to recruiting, he apparently has a terrible eye for QB talent Not only did he stick with a mediocre Franks while Trask sat on the bench, he chased away Matt Corral because he thought Emory Jones was the goods. I'm sure @flagator86 has a lot more insight into his quarterback shenanigans.

Also, he seems dead set on a run-first modern veer style offense even though the best offense he ever fielded was the exact opposite. It's like he accidentally fell into Trask, had to switch up his scheme to fit him, broke every school record with that style offense and then went right back to using a fullback as a quarterback the next season.

Pass. Although it would be hilarious to see the tears if Mullett tore it up here.

As an X and O guy, he's up there with the very best. But not only does he have an aversion to recruiting, he apparently has a terrible eye for QB talent Not only did he stick with a mediocre Franks while Trask sat on the bench, he chased away Matt Corral because he thought Emory Jones was the goods. I'm sure @flagator86 has a lot more insight into his quarterback shenanigans.

Also, he seems dead set on a run-first modern veer style offense even though the best offense he ever fielded was the exact opposite. It's like he accidentally fell into Trask, had to switch up his scheme to fit him, broke every school record with that style offense and then went right back to using a fullback as a quarterback the next season.

Pass. Although it would be hilarious to see the tears if Mullett tore it up here.
But wasn't he compelled to? Neither Jones nor Richardson are passers.

But wasn't he compelled to? Neither Jones nor Richardson are passers.
That's true but he's also on the hook for recruiting both of them. Even then, he continued to go back to Jones despite Richardson being the superior passer.

It's almost like Mullet is so confident in his offense that he purposefully plays the worse player at quarterback just to show how good his scheme is.

Advertisement
Back