Zo what?

You hire Zo because the state of our program being what it is at the highest levels. I'm not talking Manny or Strawley or the next offensive coordinator and O-line coach, those players come and go. The top of the top of this program need a man who has a proven track record at the highest levels of the sport to change the dynamic and urgency in which they do things.

People keep saying they don't care about winning. That is such a ridiculous notion. The reality is they don't know what to do to win and are never challenged by people who do.

I believe Zo can do that.

Advertisement
Now if you want to bring him in as an AD, that's more in line with the position he has in Cleveland.

Doing a little more digging on Zo I ran into a guy named Eliot Wolf who interestingly came with Zo from Green Bay to Cleveland and is also a UM alumnus.

His position was asst GM to Dorsey. Zo was more a talent scout. I think he would actually be more of an AD fit given his background and experience than Zo.

I mean. What is the fascination with him? I know he was a great player. I didn't follow him as a scout. I know his kid sucked as a player for UM. He signed a bunch of UM guys to Cleveland and they still sucked. Now all of a sudden he is UM's Epstein (Red Sox), Cashman (Yankees) or Pioli (Patriots)? Pass.

😕

If you think Zo wouldn't offer anything of substance to the football program that Strawley currently resides over, then you need to quit at life.

When I think of successful NFL GMs or VPs of Operations...Zo is nowhere on my mind or list. Not even Top 25. One legged broken down Mork got us within one game of the college playoff or in the conversation. If we beat Pitt and lose to Clemson we would have still made it. UM just needs a real coach.

You’ve got to be kidding me.

You want to know the definition of success in the NFL?

Surviving and advancing.

Everyone else filtered out in the wash.

I mean. What is the fascination with him? I know he was a great player. I didn't follow him as a scout. I know his kid sucked as a player for UM. He signed a bunch of UM guys to Cleveland and they still sucked. Now all of a sudden he is UM's Epstein (Red Sox), Cashman (Yankees) or Pioli (Patriots)? Pass.

😕

Maybe you're a new or young UM fan, but however you became attracted to UM alonzo had alot to do with it. You should never disrespect or talk in that tone if you're in fact a True Hurricane fan. If he came here, he'd instantly be something you can barely find at UM these days, and that's a respected figure in the football program, besides coach rumph. While others like coach diaz can only talk about what a True Hurricane is, Highsmith and rumph are actually that, but more importantly Highsmith would be another person that would weed out the crybaby type of recruits, him and coach rumph, just on who they are as men and how they carry themselves are respected men. Having another voice like zo, players would get berated for slacking, but they'd listen to zo for many reasons that they tune out guys like diaz and fields!

Advertisement
He has evaluated 18-22 year old kids at the highest level, with the stakes ($ & limited roster spots) being much higher than they are in college.

You think that skill won’t be adaptable to evaluating 16-17 year olds? Come on, man.

He could be great in Miami, and I want him in Miami, but NFL teams dont fare well with his evaluations. Packers moved on from him and are now one of best teams in NFC. Browns are firing him. The Browns.

I think the dude is great for Miami, just not sold on his evaluating skills based off his NFL track record to say he is the end all, be all with the program. Could he help? Without a doubt, but people keep saying he is some Jedi style evaluator. I dont see that. He would bring his persona and attitude which would help more along with a name that So Fla would know and respect.

None of this back and forth matters. Both Blake and Manny will be here for the foreseeable future. We will have to suffer through another **** poor season after which who knows what will happen next. Just hope Manny can get this next hire right. If he does, This conversation will be going in another direction.

You hire Zo because the state of our program being what it is at the highest levels. I'm not talking Manny or Strawley or the next offensive coordinator and O-line coach, those players come and go. The top of the top of this program need a man who has a proven track record at the highest levels of the sport to change the dynamic and urgency in which they do things.

People keep saying they don't care about winning. That is such a ridiculous notion. The reality is they don't know what to do to win and are never challenged by people who do.

All I read was desperation. Don't be desperate.

Advertisement

It really depends on who "they" are, and what time frame you are talking about. For example, I can't be convinced that Dan Enos, as a lame duck OC, really cared about winning the Walkon Independence Bowl. I also don't think a significant portion of the players really cared about winning that game. Many of them seemed preoccupied with thinking about next year, or going pro, or transferring to some other team... anything but focus on the game and winning. Clearly there were players who didn't care about beating FIU or Duke, either. The team was completely listless (I put a lot of that on the corches, but that's a different discussion). And not all the players, obviously, but enough to lose those games.

I also don't believe Blake James cares about winning any more than it being incidental to profitability and certain performance metrics for his job (or bonuses). I have to imagine he has some financial incentive in UM fielding a "winning" program. So sure, he'd like to win, but I don't believe he's ultimately willing to do the things required of him to win. He's more concerned about saving face and keeping the BOT happy. Speaking of the BOT, I know many members of the BOT only have a passing interest in athletics, let alone the football program. For the overwhelming majority of the BOT, fielding a championship caliber football team does not make their top 10 list of priorities for UM as an institution. Their main interest in UM football is marketing and branding the university as a whole. They see the football team as a means to an end.

I do (mostly) believe Manny Diaz wants to win and is putting in time in an attempt to win. But he clearly has no clue what he's doing or how to efficiently utilize his time to maximize wins. For instance, clowning F$U's staff for a corching clinic seemed like a lot of fun at the time (and I admit I thought it was a "savage" move at the moment), but looking back, what did that accomplish? In retrospect, maybe that time would have been better spent with his fellow corches preparing the game plan for UiF, or evaluating our OL's strengths and (mostly) weaknesses?

And then there is pride and self-preservation to contend with. Manny doesn't care enough about winning to allow someone to come in and take some degree of power over the football program from Manny. And Blake doesn't care enough about winning to take a strong stance against Manny on this and risk looking bad with the BOT. And the BOT doesn't care one way or another, so long as UM football is just good enough not to lose a lot of money and continue being a marketing tool for the University.

I believe adding Zo (or someone with similar passion and credentials) in a meaningful position of power over football operations would be a blessing for the program. I just don't think it'll happen with the current individuals in place. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Last edited:
We haven't won a title in 20 years . Its time to be desperate. Or do SOMETHING other than what we've been doing that hasn't worked out

Make power moves. Not desperate or weak moves. Otherwise, we'll be walking in circles for the next 20.

Advertisement
Make power moves. Not desperate or weak moves. Otherwise, we'll be walking in circles for the next 20.
Not sure why you think hiring Highsmith is a weak move . You may not be overly impressed with his resume (which reads better than some of our coaches already on staff) but it's not a weak move

So you think Strawley has as much football knowledge as Highsmith? Wow.

Why are you being sexist? You don't think women are capable? Its 2020 guy. Zo reprents the past and bottom tier scout/GM skills in my opinion. I don't see Zo the type to do mostly back office support or grunt work that I think Strawley does.

Not sure why you think hiring Highsmith is a weak move . You may not be overly impressed with his resume (which reads better than some of our coaches already on staff) but it's not a weak move
Then u haven't been paying attention

Advertisement
And again I say Cleveland still sucked even with all that talent. Funny. You could say they are the Miami of the NFL. All this talent. And still good for nothing. The issue isn't Zo being qualified or not to be an AD. Flake is the AD. I don't see Flake going anywhere.

Alonzo wasn’t the GM at Cleveland so he didn’t have final say on all things Cleveland football... he’s not responsible for that organization being what it’s always been. All he can do is do a good job in the role his job required him to do and thats what he did.

Blake can get fired like any other AD he’s done nothing to have job security... Richt was the reason the IPF was able to be completed not his “fundraising” expertise.

😕
You know that nice Super Bowl the packers won? Guess who was in that front office and became a executive in it...

He could be great in Miami, and I want him in Miami, but NFL teams dont fare well with his evaluations. Packers moved on from him and are now one of best teams in NFC. Browns are firing him. The Browns.

I think the dude is great for Miami, just not sold on his evaluating skills based off his NFL track record to say he is the end all, be all with the program. Could he help? Without a doubt, but people keep saying he is some Jedi style evaluator. I dont see that. He would bring his persona and attitude which would help more along with a name that So Fla would know and respect.

The Browns are being ridiculed league wide for firing Dorsey, who’s one of the most respected front office guys in the league. He hand picked Zo to be his VP of player personnel.

That’s all I need to know about his abilities to evaluate.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back