Zion Nelson SIAP

Canaanite

Recruit
Not to be a downer after the hard fought win but he has to be the worst Tackle I've seen not only in my past 20 years as a Cane fan, but as a football fan.

Consistently gets beat off the ball, at engagement, and around the edge.. but i also saw multiple plays where he didn't even block anyone as defenders ran right by him. Namely a play where Kosi hit some nice dance moves before getting rid of it downfield incomplete.

I don't know of any sites that track individual OLmen stats but he has to be somewhere near double digits in both pressures & sacks allowed. The guy sitting next to me at the bar stated he's given up the most sacks in P5 football (Shoutout to Brandon & Julia visiting Chicago this weekend).

What's most frustrating is I haven't seen another LT relieve him except at the end of BCU in garbage time. Is our depth that bad that we can't even try another guy out there to see how it goes? He was only a 2star who's best offer besides Miami was App State. I can't imagine the backup playing worse than what we've seen from him..

Advertisement
Not to be a downer after the hard fought win but he has to be the worst Tackle I've seen not only in my past 20 years as a Cane fan, but as a football fan.

Consistently gets beat off the ball, at engagement, and around the edge.. but i also saw multiple plays where he didn't even block anyone as defenders ran right by him. Namely a play where Kosi hit some nice dance moves before getting rid of it downfield incomplete.

I don't know of any sites that track individual OLmen stats but he has to be somewhere near double digits in both pressures & sacks allowed. The guy sitting next to me at the bar stated he's given up the most sacks in P5 football (Shoutout to Brandon & Julia visiting Chicago this weekend).

What's most frustrating is I haven't seen another LT relieve him except at the end of BCU in garbage time. Is our depth that bad that we can't even try another guy out there to see how it goes? He was only a 2star who's best offer besides Miami was App State. I can't imagine the backup playing worse than what we've seen from him..

once you committed to it, you almost have to stick to it ... the issue is we're not scheming to his weaknesses ... we have to chip with backs and TE ... jordan is athletic enough to chip and still get into a route ... it's actually a move toward the future that just has terrible growing pains right now

I noticed on some of our players where the announcers praised the OL Nelson wasn't a participant. He was just standing there not having to engage any defender.

Advertisement
He’s going to be a good one when all is said and done but he’s too raw and young to be on the field yet.

We’ve got a ton of work to do to get that unit the depth, experience and talent level it needs to consistently be good.

I feared for Kosi's well being on so many snaps last night. I'm with you on the freshman thing. As tough of a position for a freshman to play as any. Perhaps even the most difficult. He may be gonna be really good by his junior year, IDK, but I'd hate to be a qb under center dropping back to pass with him out there. (Side note: play in gun more) That said, he's apparently the best we've got now.

Advertisement
Navaugn Donaldson did not play well either. And he is in the interior, which is much easier. Hopefully Zion can make a giant leap from year 1 to year 2. Sure looks like we are stuck with him for the rest of the year though.

Searles receuited big guys who couldn't move. Zion is very athletic and will only get better with the right coaching. We need to keep recruiting athletic Olineman that can move.

He’s going to be a good one when all is said and done but he’s too raw and young to be on the field yet.

We’ve got a ton of work to do to get that unit the depth, experience and talent level it needs to consistently be good.

Maybe you’re just trying to be positive? Please share with me what you’ve seen that leads you to believe “He’ll be a good one.” I mean the coaches obviously believe/believed that at some point too but what have you seen that makes you reiterate that? Just curious if I’m missing something because I’ve never seen a turnstile become a brick wall.

Advertisement
Right now he's as effective as a parking cone, and knowing that, we keep making it worse by expecting him to win reps he's proven over and over he can't.

Equally concerning is Donaldson. In short, fat and lazy. He never looks for any work, and when he engages, the effort is terrible. Lining up on a 6'5" 330 LB upperclassmen MIAMI G should be punishment for a DL, and if he's on the second level, life threatening.

Advertisement
Right now he's as effective as a parking cone, and knowing that, we keep making it worse by expecting him to win reps he's proven over and over he can't.

Equally concerning is Donaldson. In short, fat and lazy. He never looks for any work, and we engages, the effort is terrible. Lining up on a 6'5" 330 LB upperclassmen MIAMI G should be punishment for a DL, and if he's on the second level, life threatening.
Donaldson is getting destroyed out there.

Maybe you’re just trying to be positive? Please share with me what you’ve seen that leads you to believe “He’ll be a good one.” I mean the coaches obviously believe/believed that at some point too but what have you seen that makes you reiterate that? Just curious if I’m missing something because I’ve never seen a turnstile become a brick wall.
He is athletic. Is he a starter?? **** No. But we have no other choice. Searles was terrible.

Advertisement
Back