Zalontae Hillery Progress

All this talk of getting rid of Jones and Brown. And one looks slated to start while the other is in the two deep. Some might say that just means guys like Herbert and Gaynor aren’t as good as advertised, I think OL is where most players just take longer to develop. I like the OL we have now, with only two kids who are questionable in Milo and Dykstra. Rosier and Perry need to help them out more with faster reads and better mobility. Even championship lines can’t hold a pocket for more than a few seconds.

Faster reads will not help the running game, which has been non-existent for years. Better offensive line/running game...better quarterbacks.

Advertisement
One OL combination folks may be overlooking is Gauthier at LG and Gaynor at C. All depends on who emerges out of the pool of interior OL: Jones, Mahoney, Gaynor, Hillery, Scaife, Boulware, Reed, Milo, Dykstra.

Last edited:
One OL combination folks may be overlooking is Gauthier at LG and Gaynor at C. All depends on who emerges out of the pool of interior OL: Jones, Mahoney, Gaynor, Hillery, Boulware, Reed, Milo, Dykstra.

Your rooster doesn't include Scaife?

One OL combination folks may be overlooking is Gauthier at LG and Gaynor at C. All depends on who emerges out of the pool of interior OL: Jones, Mahoney, Gaynor, Hillery, Boulware, Reed, Milo, Dykstra.

Richt made some comments about Gauthier taking on more responsibility as the Center to help the QB's...not sure Gaynor is ready for that.

Advertisement
To me, out of all the OL on the rooster, Hillary intrigues me the most in terms of potential to play LT. I think Scaife is going to be a good one but I can't figure out if he is better suited to G or T right now.

Someone said that Hebert is going to take a bit longer than most anticipated and I agree with this and not just because of the shoulder. I always saw him as a kid that would take 3 years+ to properly develop but his upside is huge.

Not sure big Vaughn is a RT but if the coaches say so I'll take their word for it. Evan Neal is an absolute must get. Get Neal put him at RT, move Donaldson back to RG and watch us maul teams in the running game. Tarquin a huge commit as he can also compete at LT.

We need to see a significant jump in the development of this OL and we need to see it this year. Searels is officially on the clock. That's just a fact.

Faster reads will not help the running game, which has been non-existent for years. Better offensive line/running game...better quarterbacks.

The RPO is causing problems there. RB can't get steam as he has to run in place while the QB decides whether to hand off or pull it. We need to execute that much better this coming season. And again, it starts with the QB.

The RPO is causing problems there. RB can't get steam as he has to run in place while the QB decides whether to hand off or pull it. We need to execute that much better this coming season. And again, it starts with the QB.
That’s not an RPO. That’s a Read Option. In RPO the decision is made before the snap.

Can’t believe I’m still having to explain this.

Advertisement

I know your comments are from the heart and well meaning, but simply stated...you are wrong! Fix the offensive line/running game and every QB on the roster will instantly become better. If a running game is not developed then those calling for a younger, less experienced QB to replace Rosier are going to be terribly disappointed. Coach Richt would be hard pressed to start an inexperienced signal caller to lead a one dimensional offense, due to a substandard offensive line. By the way, as unpopular this thought is...the reality may be that Rosier is simply a better all around QB at this stage than his pursuers.

That’s not an RPO. That’s a Read Option. In RPO the decision is made before the snap.

RPO at least how we run it has the decision made mid play. The QB has a linebacker that he's reading, and will either hand it off or pull the ball and throw it depending on the action that the linebacker takes, not just where he's originally lined up.

RPO at least how we run it has the decision made mid play. The QB has a linebacker that he's reading, and will either hand it off or pull the ball and throw it depending on the action that the linebacker takes, not just where he's originally lined up.
I stand corrected. I thought the read was pre-snap alignment.

Do you think our RPO system is too vanilla? Or has it just been hampered by QB play?

Advertisement
I stand corrected. I thought the read was pre-snap alignment.
No problem, and not sure if its universal or the way we run it. But the design is obviously to have 2+ options at once to thwart what the defense is doing. Generally the run will be to the strong side while the backside will have the pass play. This is why you'll sometimes see our X or backside receiver running a route while a the runningback has the ball because the QB gave it. A popular RPO that we'd run is when the QB reads the weakside backer and if he comes up to play the run then the QB throws a slant, if the backer drops into coverage then we hand the ball off

Lol decision is made during play, smfh. You are reading a key from a player on the field and depending the movement of said player decides if it’s a run or pass.

Do you think our RPO system is too vanilla? Or has it just been hampered by QB play?
I'm not sure if we added more or took any out of the playbook this past year vs two seasons ago. Overall I wouldn't say its too vanilla, but its a very split second judgement call. Obviously if the QB can't process quick enough then mistakes are going to happen. Another thing that can be detrimental is in the RPO the line is blocking for the run. Brad got killed on a few plays when the D would send an extra blitzer that couldn't get picked up. On the play action pass the line is blocking for pass so the QB is more protected.

Advertisement
I'm not sure if we added more or took any out of the playbook this past year vs two seasons ago. Overall I wouldn't say its too vanilla, but its a very split second judgement call. Obviously if the QB can't process quick enough then mistakes are going to happen. Another thing that can be detrimental is in the RPO the line is blocking for the run. Brad got killed on a few plays when the D would send an extra blitzer that couldn't get picked up. On the play action pass the line is blocking for pass so the QB is more protected.

Did you prefer to play in a RPO offense or a more traditional offense such as I formation, spread, etc.?

Did you prefer to play in a RPO offense or a more traditional offense such as I formation, spread, etc.?
My last year at Miami 2 seasons ago the RPO was more of just a wrinkle that we'd do a few times a game. We did some more power run then based off of the personnel we had, and this past season had more RPO and shotgun sets. I never got to play in a true spread offense but that would be my first choice.

Advertisement
Back