Zach Dykstra recaps Miami official visit

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
ZachD.jpg

Hurricanes offensive line commit Zach Dykstra took his official visit to Miami this weekend and he recapped his trip with CanesInSight on Monday night.

“The hotel was great. Probably the coolest thing was going to the restaurant we went to on Saturday night – the Rusty Pelican. It was overlooking the water and downtown Miami with all the buildings and lights,” Dykstra said. “It’s just not something you see in Northwest Iowa.”

Unsurprisingly, it was a warmer weekend in Miami than Iowa, which is something Dykstra said he and his parents enjoyed.

“It was definitely great,” Dykstra said. “Both my parents went and they had fun – getting to know the coaches and some of the players better too.”

He also had the opportunity to watch his future teammates put on an impressive performance on the field against Pittsburgh.

“It was fun watching them do so well on offense. They were clicking pretty well together,” Dykstra said.

Having had the chance to be around the players and coaches, Dykstra laid out the blueprint for him to be able to see the field early. Miami coaches want him enrolling at 300 pounds, which he sees he is already hovering around.

“I’m going to need to work really hard and get to know the plays and get my body the correct shape and strength and stuff.”

“I’m trying to do it as fast as possible so I can play early,” he added.

Dykstra said he plans on visiting Vanderbilt in two weeks.

Advertisement
Vanderbilt is another private school with superb academics. It makes logical sense to have them as a back up for him in case we do end up somehow pulling Hebert, Slaton, and Telfort. While Slaton and Telfort are likely to line up in the tackle spot rather than the guard spot, it still makes for a crowded OL class if you add Hillary and Donaldson. Now I doubt we pull all three. I'd be surprised if we pulled one of them. But it makes sense for Dykstra in this case to visit Vandy.

Advertisement
Rumor going around that Dykstra doesn't have a legit Iowa offer, so we are by far his biggest offer, Vanderbilt and Iowa state are the closest programs.

[HUDL]video/3/4530856/5721cfcf19a53e2a187137bb[/HUDL]

Hasn't posted highlights for senior year, but here's what he has for a junior year versus slower, weaker competition.

Last edited:
Gall is a good comparison. In those junior highlights, there's no question to me that he's the better athlete than Loftus or Mahoney. Probably on par with Gauthier and Gall when they were coming out. But I like his killer attitude, and he may have taken a step as a Senior. There's some material to work with there and I think he tops out more to the upside because of it. He's got a good first step, good hands, loves contact and pancaking, doesn't stop. I would take him for sure given our depth, even if we landed a couple of the 3 uncommitted targets.

His Vanderbilt visit tells me he doesn't feel certain he won't be pushed out. This dude looked overmatched at Paradise.

Advertisement
He might be a jag but it's hard to explain how far toughness and nastiness on the OL will take you. I have no idea if he has those 2 traits or not just has that look.

His Vanderbilt visit tells me he doesn't feel certain he won't be pushed out. This dude looked overmatched at Paradise.

Chise, he was very much overwhelmed. That's why if we're going to take a project, I rather it be Hillery. At least I saw him adjusting, had an angry, competitive streak, and had really good feet and nice hand power. Dykstra's feet and strength were questionable; even getting ate alive by 19 kids. Imho, he's not a take.

Advertisement
Decent feet, quick hands, clumsy footwork. Needs to gain a lot of strength. Looks to be a waist bender, rather than a knee bender. I think I would try him at C, honestly.

I know he's in because they gave him an official with his parents, but he would not be a take for me based on Hudl and Paradise.

Thank you. Was thinking the same thing. Move him to Center. He will redshirt anyway giving him time to develop his strength, feet and improve his technique.

Decent feet, quick hands, clumsy footwork. Needs to gain a lot of strength. Looks to be a waist bender, rather than a knee bender. I think I would try him at C, honestly.

I know he's in because they gave him an official with his parents, but he would not be a take for me based on Hudl and Paradise.

Yeah he did man-I believe it was a combo of not seeing that kind of talent & speed where he's from. And to be honest, he's not an early player even if he is a EE. But having said that-you just never know how a kid at this position is gonna pan out. If MR & Searles kick this kid to the curb well, we can hang getting OL's out of Iowa for a minute anyway. I'll give him til spring ball to even see if he will make it here. Give him a shot to get down here, get comfortable with the suroundings and team & who knows?

Advertisement
Yeah,Paradise just gave him a taste of what's coming.I believe it was a combo of not seeing that kind of talent & speed where he's from. And to be honest, he's not an early player even if he is a EE. But having said that-you just never know how a kid at this position is gonna pan out. If MR & Searles kick this kid to the curb well, we can hang getting OL's out of Iowa- for a minute anyway. I'll give him til spring ball to even see if he will make it here. Give him a shot to get down here, get comfortable with the surroundings and team & who knows?

Right now he's in and a take for the staff or they wouldn't have had him on a visit.

This. Didnt know we had an extension of the recruiting staff on this site. Some of yall take this CIS posting stuff too serious. Like you are really in the know or something. Havent yall realized that whomever Richt doesnt feel like is a take he PUSHES OUT IMMEDIATELY. Rodney Scott? Out. Ben Thompson? Out. From reports from Pete..Dingle is next.

We wined and dined this kid and his family and yall think we push him out? IIRC, when this kid committed most posters thought it was a great take. Now he is a JAG just because he came to Paradise camp and didnt look like Orlando Pace. Just so you know..Alex Leatherwood got ate up too. And if Slaton/Herbert/Telfort had competed im sure they would have gotten that work too. There was alot of comp out there and alot of hungry kids looking to impress. Kid is from Iowa and has never seen speed like that before. Nobody is saying he is a Day 1 contributor. Let the kid develop first then lets see what we have.

I think kids are better judged by what they do as a part of a line in a real football game. I've see plenty QB's and WR'ers tear it up in 7 on 7 and are jags when the bullets start flying. What I see from his film is very good technique, taking the right angles to set up blocks and sticking on his blocks. Seriously, as a guard in tight, if he's able to move people, pull quickly, stop penetration and pickup stunts he'll be fine. Big kid at 6'6' 290 and can move. OLine coaches just need something good to work with. He can be developed.

Right now he's in and a take for the staff or they wouldn't have had him on a visit.

This. Didnt know we had an extension of the recruiting staff on this site. Some of yall take this CIS posting stuff too serious. Like you are really in the know or something. Havent yall realized that whomever Richt doesnt feel like is a take he PUSHES OUT IMMEDIATELY. Rodney Scott? Out. Ben Thompson? Out. From reports from Pete..Dingle is next.

We wined and dined this kid and his family and yall think we push him out? IIRC, when this kid committed most posters thought it was a great take. Now he is a JAG just because he came to Paradise camp and didnt look like Orlando Pace. Just so you know..Alex Leatherwood got ate up too. And if Slaton/Herbert/Telfort had competed im sure they would have gotten that work too. There was alot of comp out there and alot of hungry kids looking to impress. Kid is from Iowa and has never seen speed like that before. Nobody is saying he is a Day 1 contributor. Let the kid develop first then lets see what we have.

Until further notice, lets just assume the staff knows what they're talking about.

Advertisement
Back