You're named Miami's AD. What 3 changes do you make?

Bring in a Jimmy Johnson type to review in depth the complete football program: You got the top of the top NFL minds still seeking J.J. Advice :

Advertisement
Before taking the job? I’d have my coaching candidates Play a 10 year dynasty mode on ncaa 14 with UAB. Learn how to get it done. If they do they make my short list.

then have them try to duplicate it in a 10 year madden 20 franchise mode.

then hire accordingly
I swear to goodness. This is the best post ever. You are straight money with this idea. I’ve tried doing it with north Texas and UAB and couldn’t get it done.

No one should laugh at this if you have ever tried doing it. It feels weird not playing Miami but you gotta mix it up.

Hire Butch Davis conditional upon him getting Moffitt, our S&C guy, back from LSU AND GIVE HIM $1,000,000 or $1.5 mill if necessary, to get it done. We need menfolk. I'll leave staff up to him: his own coaching tree is loaded with NFL types. His own contract would be heavy, very heavy with incentives for conference title and much bigger for NC. Special bonus for undefeated season including playoffs and penalties for every loss -- little protection against the famous sideline brain farts.
That's just it. He'd take the Miami job for peanuts, and we could spend Alabama money on the rest of the staff. Oh well.

I swear to goodness. This is the best post ever. You are straight money with this idea. I’ve tried doing it with north Texas and UAB and couldn’t get it done.

No one should laugh at this if you have ever tried doing it. It feels weird not playing Miami but you gotta mix it up.
Run the Madden simultaneously with NCAA importing draft classes.

Advertisement
Hmm... this feels like a paradox problem. If I am the AD, then I was hired by the BOT. If I was hired by this BOT, then it means I must be dangerously unqualified, grossly incompetent, and embarrassingly ineffective. After all, those are the only people the BOT hires. Whatever I do will implicitly be the wrong thing for UM football.

Your question really put me in a box here... Two questions: (1) is suicide on the table? and (2) do I have access to explosives in this hypothetical?

0. Negotiate a competitive top-tier budget for football coaching, operations, and recruiting. Pass on AD job if BOT balks.

Then, if....

1. Fire Manny Diaz and staff.
2. Build a list of football minds who can advise on matters of football. JJ, of course, but not limited to former Canes. All convos are off the record.
3. Negotiate and hire the best coach willing to accept the position.

Oh, and...

4. Cancel any future games with FAU or FIU. USF and UCF are acceptable only if they agree to a 2-1 deal.
5. Open conversations to schedule USCw, Stanford, Texas, Michigan, and select other programs.
6. Tell Adidas our uniforms going forward will match those from UMs glory days, including black cleats. If a throwback is wanted select a variation form the 80s-90s, 2000-2002. No green uniforms, though.

Secretly,

7. Enlist covert support of bag game. Use cartels to enforce secrecy.

Advertisement
fire blake james

tell new AD to tell manny fire the entire staff

tell manny he will be thrown away mid season if we lose more than 3 games next season

Hire Butch Davis conditional upon him getting Moffitt, our S&C guy, back from LSU AND GIVE HIM $1,000,000 or $1.5 mill if necessary, to get it done. We need menfolk. I'll leave staff up to him: his own coaching tree is loaded with NFL types. His own contract would be heavy, very heavy with incentives for conference title and much bigger for NC. Special bonus for undefeated season including playoffs and penalties for every loss -- little protection against the famous sideline brain farts.

There's no way we steal Moffitt from LSU. They'd match whatever it would cost to keep him.

The thing is, Miami needs to find the next Moffitt.

Bring in a Jimmy Johnson type to review in depth the complete football program: You got the top of the top NFL minds still seeking J.J. Advice :

Are we sure this is the best kind of thing to do in our current situation? When JJ came to Miami, he brought an outsider's perspective from his time at Ok. State and applied it here. I'm worried if we keep talking with guys with previous connections to the U, we would never grow.

And at this point, JJ has been away from the U for 30 years, and away from football for 20. I love JJ, but shouldn't we be looking for someone at the cutting edge of the current state of football, and not re-hashing old successes?

1. Increase recruiting budget to $1.8million a year, if anybody in the administration dared to say we can't afford it, I would go get one of my cousins from Tivoli Gardens Jamaica & have them kidnap & toture whoever tries to stop me from spending indiscriminately. ALL FUNDS REALLOCATED TO FOOTBALL, FÚCK EVERYBODY

2. Would have a sit down with the BOT & Booster and tell them any one of you ****sticks that doesn't plan on opening up their checkbooks needs to gtfo now, or suffer the consequences... Car-bomb, Mafia style.

3. Hire Josh Heupel (he could pick his own OC/QB coach)
4. Hire Larry Johnson from Oh St (AHC/DL coach)
5. Offer Corey Raymond the DC job with a $1.5- 2million dollar contract
6. If Raymond turned it down, hire Morgan Scalley or Zach Arnett as DC
7. Bring back Coach Field as TE's coach
8. Bring back Coach Hickson as RB's coach
9. Hire Devin Bush Sr as LB's coach
10. Hire Rick Angullo from the Ravens as OL coach
11. Hire Ed Reed as the Special Teams/Safeties coach
12. Hire DJ McCarthy as WR's coach
13. Would let Kanye host his Sunday Service every weekend for free at any Hurricane venue in exchange for him helping me orchestrate a $100million dollar deal with Adidas & setup a student athlete assistance fund where Adidas essentially gets to legally pay our athletes through endorsements, likeness licensing & merchandising etc., also establishing the relationship with them & Adidas for their post college careers.
14. Would have my goons throw Molotov ****tails at UF's athletic offices (because why not lol)
15. Would hire the La Eme to get rid of Mark Emmert
16. Would flee to Mexico & escape the country to avoid federal indictment

Last edited:
Advertisement
1.) Build an on-campus stadium. Open it up for local high schools to play their big games at for free.

2.). Hire a real, experienced staff of coaches

3.). Hire a real recruiting staff, film analysts, and support people.

That was my take as well. Let him mentor Manny since he's not going anywhere.

Or do the same with Urban Meyer. Fine, he wont coach, but will he consult?

Honestly, Briles is so radioactive that it's simply not worth the risk. It'd be like hiring JoePa as head coach after the Sandusky ordeal.

He's a great offensive mind no doubt, but you can come relatively close to replicating his offensive system without signing up for all the baggage he brings. There are simply other guys out there that can probably get us 90% of the offense he runs with 0% of the headache, and for my money it's not worth it for that extra 10%.
Some of the posters, even if I agree with them, engage in too much trash talk. Rather than doing that, I will ask:

1) How much do you prioritize winning?
2) What are you willing to do to win? (in terms of hiring, donations to the school, etc.)

Every time I have asked people on this board to put a monetary value on how much a win, a win over F$U, an ACC title, a national title is worth to them in dollars, I don't get a response.

Personally, I'd hire whatever coach it takes to win. I don't give a **** about the perception people have. I don't care if some people's feelings are hurt or if it makes some people uneasy.

I've also said I value a national championship at $10,000.00 of my own money. If I were offered a deal knowing I'd get a national title, I'd donate 10 racks to it.

I seriously question whether people on this board want to win bad enough that they'd prioritize it to that degree. And therein lies the problem. Because there are thousands of fans at Baga and UGA and L$U and even F$U who would do exactly as I've said, and more. For sure we don't have the commitment from the BOT, but do we really have it from the fans either?

If the fans don't value it enough, you can be absolutely sure the BOT (who are hardly sports fanatics) don't give the first flying **** about it.

I cede the floor.

Advertisement
First, I would not take the AD job unless the administration and boosters were ready to increase the coaching and recruiting budget. Assuming the boosters/administration were committed, my three moves would be:

1. Hire either Tony Elliott, the Co-OC at Clemson or Mike Norvell, HC at Memphis or Matt Campbell HC at Iowa State. My top three HC candidates
2. Revamp the AD staff. More discipline. Business like approach focused on driving results from the revenue-producing sports (ie. football and basketball)
3. Establish clear guidelines and expectations of what is expected from the HC, his staff, the team and the direction of the program as a whole. Define to the staff what constitutes success

Some of the posters, even if I agree with them, engage in too much trash talk. Rather than doing that, I will ask:

1) How much do you prioritize winning?
2) What are you willing to do to win? (in terms of hiring, donations to the school, etc.)

Every time I have asked people on this board to put a monetary value on how much a win, a win over F$U, an ACC title, a national title is worth to them in dollars, I don't get a response.

Personally, I'd hire whatever coach it takes to win. I don't give a **** about the perception people have. I don't care if some people's feelings are hurt or if it makes some people uneasy.

I've also said I value a national championship at $10,000.00 of my own money. If I were offered a deal knowing I'd get a national title, I'd donate 10 racks to it.

I seriously question whether people on this board want to win bad enough that they'd prioritize it to that degree. And therein lies the problem. Because there are thousands of fans at Baga and UGA and L$U and even F$U who would do exactly as I've said, and more. For sure we don't have the commitment from the BOT, but do we really have it from the fans either?

If the fans don't value it enough, you can be absolutely sure the BOT (who are hardly sports fanatics) don't give the first flying **** about it.

I cede the floor.

I don't know if setting monetary value of my own money makes a lick of difference. I'm not a millionaire, so I can't donate the money and say "this money is solely for the football and basketball programs. If you use it the way I say you should, I'll donate in the future to the non-revenue sports, but until that occurs, you won't see a dime of my money." (which is what I'd do if I were a millionaire).

If I'm using the school's money - and they've given me free reign to a certain point -- the first thing I'm doing is making sure that at least $1.75M is going to the recruiting budget every. Single. Year. If it's not, you're wasting your time.

Next, I'd make sure that the staff salaries are commesurate with those in the Top 10 of their fields. Meaning $5-7M for the head coach and $1M+ for the OC and DC - each.

Advertisement
Back