"You're a Miami fan... did you go to Miami?"

for the most part, i've been a canes fan longer than most people who just became fans when they were accepted into the university... granted i know there's got to be tons of of lifelong fans who also attended the U.. but I don't think that makes them more of a fan than anyone else.

Advertisement
Saw Ted Hendricks play as a kid when we moved down from St Louis.
BC undergrad (actually Hail Flutie was the only time I cheered against the Canes in my life).
Went to Med school at UM, but it never made me MORE of a Cane fan.
2 kids, one current and one former, attend undergrad.

The teams of the 80's that changed college football forever are the reason most love OR hate us.

BC undergrad (actually Hail Flutie was the only time I cheered against the Canes in my life).

The teams of the 80's that changed college football forever are the reason most love OR hate us.

no no

UM undergrad. UF grad school. born n raised in miami tho. loved it and repped it everyday from the moment i began watching sports until today. got my car keyed in gainesville bc of my UM alumni plate holder and canes emblems

played football in college.

wasn't close to good enough to play for miami... though for some unkown reason USC sent me a couple of letter (by mistake I can only imagine).

Hurricane fan since I was 13. Converted my wife. She wants our 5 and 2 year old boys to go to Miami when they grow up.

Advertisement

no no

I'm ashamed to say it, but as a recent BC grad that was amazing.

I didn't go to to be U but I have been a diehard since berth and I'm about to be a 22 yr retired Msgt in the Marines and I will never support another program. I love the U!!!

I Grew up in Dade County. Went to everything from elementary school to Law school in Miami, including two degrees from UM. I met my wife there. My older brother is a grad,as is my younger brother. Many cousins and their kids are alums.My daughter was on the dance team for UM at the OB.Raised a ton of money for athletics. No one asks me if I attended The U. However it is too easy for me to support the Canes. My hat is off to all the people who did not go to Miami and adopted them for whatever reason. Miami is really a small school for a top FBS college team. Without the support of Miami football fans who never matriculated at the school, we would have long ago been relegated to division II status. You really have to give credit to the non-alums who have adopted UM, and are as proud of the Canes as I am.(P.S.--- Donna Shalala is a great president.She has made some mistakes (i.e.-Randy)but she really loves the Canes!

I didn't go to college at Miami, I've lived in New York my entire life. I've only been a Hurricanes fan for 6 seasons and I still remember the first time I watched a Miami game on TV was in 2007 vs Virginia for the final game at the Orange Bowl and losing 48-0. I didn't follow college football at the time but Ray Lewis was my favorite player and I did research on the history of Miami and I absolutely fell in love with the program. Since then I have always been a die hard Miami fan. I've spent way too much on apparel and accessories, and since last year I joined the Hurricane Club and have been donating when I can. I do plan on going to see a home game in the near future and I hope to become a season ticket holder one day. All through college I have had people question why am I a Miami fan but I just smile and throw up the U. ****, I became a fan DURING the Randy Shannon era. The 2013 season has been the most successful season I have witnessed as a fan. If it upsets someone that I didn't go to the school but still love and support the program, then they can kiss my *** and I'll continue to throw up the U. Go Canes!

Wow!!! The most successful season of your fan hood was '13 and you jumped on board during the Shannon era?!? Nothing but respect for you!! Thats like fully investing in a down and out company and hoping they turn around and make you a profit!! Again, nothing but respect to come aboard when you did!!

Advertisement
Born and raised in NYC so had no real connection to any college football team. Graduated from Hofstra and no one cared about their football team because most of the players were ****s. My first memory of the Canes is Ryan Clement at QB so no one can say I'm a front-runner. I've been to one game in the OB, saw Miami lose to Va tech in Coker's last year. (Good times) I live and die with the Canes and can't wait till they play somewhere remotely close to me so I can go see them live again.

negged

If you ever cheered against the Canes you aren't a Canes fan.

IDGAF what anyone else says.

Didn't go to UM.. My cousin played for Butch Davis found out I had a cousin that played CFB then started following the team..

Advertisement
My parents were both Miami alums. My mom graduated summa *** laude and my dad received three degrees including a doctorate. From early elementary school they took me to games on Friday night. I loved it. They were more enjoyable than the Dolphin glory years games a few years later, which we also attended as season ticket holders.

I never considered attending the school because I wanted to go away, and I wanted a top journalism school with a praised daily student paper. Originally I was accepted to Missouri and scheduled to stay at the Mark Twain Residence Hall. Not until my dad told me we needed to shop for winter clothes did I begin to have second thoughts. We actually went to the store and bought a few heavy items before I got home and felt sick to my stomach. I took a ride around the block on my bike and decided that USC, my second choice, suddenly seemed a heck of a lot more appealing. I told my dad I changed my mind. He asked if I was sure. Yep. We called Missouri and cancelled, paying a small fine to the residence hall.

Fortunately I hadn't said no to USC. But they were already finalized for fall enrollment. I managed to get delayed enrollment until spring. So I spent a semester at Dade South and also taking clep tests. Saved lots of cash.

To my surprise, the base courses at Dade South were more challenging than the pre-major courses at USC. My dad told me he knew that would be the case. The Miami Dade professors in that era were full timers and very dedicated. They were highly educated and trained, and frustrated that they were forced to teach first and second year classes when they were capable of far beyond that. Basically, they cheated and taught more advanced stuff, regardless of the title of the course. I really had to step up my game. But once I got to USC it was a joke. I looked around the room as if to say, are they serious? It was cupcakes. I remember a math class teaching subsets and nobody in the room knew what it was. When I started taking the upper level courses and it was a culture shock. Exactly the opposite. The journalism professors were big shots in the Los Angeles media. They knew their craft and wouldn't accept anything sloppy or second level. Tons of writing assignments and if you botched anything they let you know about it.

Nowadays I understand the Miami Dade system has eliminated the full time professors and the classes are a comparative joke.

Anyway, the Canes were nothing when I enrolled at USC. I took some ribbing when I wore my Canes shirts. But when I was a junior the football team woke up and I started to hear some positive mentions. Your cute little team is decent for a change. Obviously they expected it would be short lived and relatively minor. Truthfully, I agreed with them. I never assumed anything beyond an occasional minor bowl.

To this day I'm not fully accepted or welcome on USC boards because I claim greater allegiance to the Canes. Lots of USC alums doubt that I went to school there and force me to prove it. They can't believe anyone would be a bigger fan of another team than their alma mater.

I don't understand the beef. The Canes feel like an investment that paid off. I'm still a fan of USC and root passionately for them. Second favorite. But I can't get myself to follow the roster closely. That was reserved only for my school years, when I covered the team for the Daily Trojan, or the DT as it's known in SC circles.

The two teams never face each other and seldom compete for the same recruits. Only a couple of times have they occupied high poll positions simultaneously. I can remember '88, semi '02, and briefly in '03 and '04.

On Canes sites I've taken some grief for failing to smooch the program. Laughable. I'm not going to pretend the move to Sun Life was anything but a disaster, an ignorant move that regulates the level of the program. Likewise the gameday experience at Miami is not college football at all. It is comparable to attending a junior college as opposed to one of the great universities in the country.

More than anything, there's nothing to hate at USC. The rivalry with UCLA may be nearby but it isn't overflowing mockery and distaste. That's why you have plenty of SC students and alums who actually have greater animosity toward Notre Dame.

With the Canes, there's a marvelous and deserved target in the Gators, otherwise known as Orange, Blue and Mostly Yellow. I can't imagine abandoning or diminishing my hatred for the Gators, even for one lonely day. They ran away in 1987 and now we own them for all eternity. Well earned. I love to laugh at the Gator Mom bumper stickers that I see virtually every day.

Last edited:
I didn't say i was alumni i said I'm a fan and being an alumni isn't a prerequisite last i checked you mad bro?.................

I said this at so many games works everytime

Advertisement
I Just turned 19 and I have been a Cane fan since I can remember. I attend a college in upstate New York because my parents wouldn't let me apply anywhere out of state since they are helping me pay for college. However, I was born in Miami and that's why I have always loved them. My dad had me watching the games on his lap for the 1998-2000 seasons and then in 2001 I started sitting an inch away from the TV cheering on Ken Dorsey, Andre Johnson, Ed Reed and all the rest.

I remember how upset I was when my mom got my dad a ticket to go to the National Championship game but not me....regardless she let me stay up the latest I ever had before until the game finished. Ever since 2001 I have not missed a game. If they were not on TV...I would stream the game online, follow the play by play on the radio, or even just watch the gametrack.

I don't go to the U but its hard to meet a kid my age who bleeds orange and green more than me. When I tell people in New York that I am a Miami fan they roll their eyes and don't believe me (they all love Syracuse up here). After I rattle off their entire roster from o-lineman to kicker they pretty much believe me then. I also tell people I was born in Miami and they usually respect that. Miami is a team and like any other in the country anybody has the right to follow them. Some may be band-wagoners but overall you will be able to tell the difference, and the fans that love the team through thick and thin will stick out....regardless if they actually attended UM.

I am an alum.

This program would be NOTHING without it's non-alum fanbase.

I am sickened by the high brow attitude that the school has adopted over the last decade. The school was perfect; no need to change it into Donna's Nerd Factory.

My parents had season tickets to Dolphins since 1972 and Hurricanes since the early 80's. That is how I became a fan.

I am an alum.

This program would be NOTHING without it's non-alum fanbase.

I am sickened by the high brow attitude that the school has adopted over the last decade. The school was perfect; no need to change it into Donna's Nerd Factory.

Stupid Donna Shalala, trying to make her University more prestigious. School was perfect sitting in the 70s of the best colleges in the country. Just ignorant of her to try and raise the academic prestige of UM at the complete and total expensive of the football program. God forbid the University tries to graduate it's student athletes. I mean what kind of reverse voodoo logic is that?

Advertisement
Back