"You're a Miami fan... did you go to Miami?"

Went to UM for undergrad and grad school. My retort about um fans not going to um is th as t when I drive by a trailer park in North Florida I see a lot of UF and FSU flags, if they are all alumni what does that say about the value of your degree? I Usually hear crickets.

Advertisement
Born in Miami.... Went to my first canes game in 83 (the Irish shut out) didn't remember much. Moved from Miami to cali in 85....the first canes game I remember is the Faust blow out in the OB and I been a fan since cause I loved how they hit and talked **** when they did it..... Been a fan every since and I haven't lived in Miami in 30 yrs and feel I'm one of the top canes fans ever...... No offense..... That would be my rational answer to the did I go to Miami question.... But since I'm ****ed they asked that dumb *** question I just let expletives fly instead
Also.... Hate to say but out of all my teams, the canes are the only ones who can ruin my week if they lose a game been like that since that 93 sugar bowl smh

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to UM for Undergrad and later taught at UM. A good fan is a good fan, don't care if you are from Bangladesh. Every school has its share of ******* fans (your Bigtips etc.) but I actually think that UM has some of the very best and passionate fans in all of sports. I love UM and have since the first day I saw the campus.

I love Shalala because she is the best Prez we've ever had. I think the criticism of her not caring about the football program is overdone honestly.

Grew up in 305 and graduate of UM in the 80's. Have a few friends from college days , but thousands of U family I share great times with my family at games every season. We all family.

I went to a Tech school for computer science in New Jersey, I grew up 20 mins from Tallahassee and i'm all Cane, have the "U" tattoo on my arm tell me in not a cane fan

Advertisement
I'm a Long Island kid (Freeport HS class of '95). I played soccer for years with Morlon Greenwood who later went on to star at the 'Cuse with Clifton Smith and Donovan McNabb. Went to the Navy for four years, and while I was gone my family relocated to Tamarac. My young bro and sis both graduated from Piper. My bro played under our favorite coach Doug Gatewood along side Quadtrine Hill and a pretty dope offense that ran into a wall against Carol City in the playoffs @ Traz Powell. Growing up in the northeast, college football really wasn't as prevalent as in the south. Basketball, baseball, and even lacrosse were regarded just as highly. Still is. But my first real taste of college football came when I attended the hottest sporting event I've ever been to, October 7th 2000 against FSU. Needless to say I was instantly hooked on the Orange Bowl aura and all that surrounded the Canes. While I may not be a fan for as long as many of you, I am a die hard in all senses, and will support my team regardless of the situation. Lets Go Canes!

30.jpg

I didn't go there but my kid does. I went to Cal and have been a long suffering football fan given Cal's long history of futility.

Went to the Warriors playoff game wearing U shirt, didn't wear the silly yellow shirt they gave away. Only orange shirt in the house. All night long people were flashing the U and saying go Canes.

I wear the gear to honor my kid and I love the brand. Was at UF game and loved every minute.

its just a way for people to try to get under your skin any way they can, people make comments about the lack of fans at the miami games, if the game is packed they say they aren't real fans because they didnt go there. i dont for one second believe those 100,000 plus or near crowds i see at bama, *, michigan or penn state are all alums no way, many of them are just local people who have cheered for their team for years

It's a story I’ve told many times, especially since I now live in the myopic zombie state of Ohio, where people tell you "You live in Ohio now, you HAVE to root for O$Uck." Six other D-1 programs in the state, but you HAVE to root for O$Uck...When they peel my cold, dead hands away from clutching my 'Canes jersey I will.

Like Port Knox, childhood spent on Long Island, a Jets fan at that time. Disliked college football because it was boring in the 70s and the uniforms sucked. Due to religion and ethnicity, I was encouraged to root for Notr...Sorry, sickens me to finish it. Despite the ugly uni’s, I tried to root for nearby Penn State in ‘75 Sugar Bowl when they played a team with numbers on their helmets (Alabama). Thought I was watching what the NFL was like in the ‘40s. Alabama won, as they did in another snoozer in ’79. However, 1979 was the year when I received redemption. Family moved to Southwest Florida that year (I was in my teens) and cable TV became a window to the city of Miami. Back then, ‘Canes games were broadcast locally, with Hank Goldberg. One boring Saturday led to searching the channels and finding a team with a []_[] on their helmets who actually used the forward pass like the pros. Then add in a dynamic freshman QB, Jim Kelly (thoughts and prayers); I was hooked from then on…

No, I didn’t go to UM; went into the service and the ‘Canes first championship was learned from seeing the cover of Sports Illustrated at an exchange mini-mart during Boot Camp (My boisterous response to the cover resulted me being dropped for “corrective” push-ups; I smiled the whole time).

My son grew up a ‘Canes fan and is now a Summa *** laude graduate of UM. I am also now the proud father in law of another ‘Cane.

I perform occasional volunteer work for UM, but I don’t sing the alma mater, I don’t say “we” in referring to UM and I am quite happy just having the status of being a fan of college football’s original mold breakers.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I began my undergrad degree at UM on a Merrick Scholarship (50% tuition.) Decided to transfer to FSU to save/make money ( I was paid to attend Free Shoes U) and get out from under my parents roof. Honestly didn't feel like I fit in at UM being from a lower middle class background. I have loved the athletics program my entire life and fully support UM academics as well. I'm still in school, but attend as many home games as possible and have traveled all over the country to see us play. I embrace all types of fans and do not discriminate against any of them. All fan bases have fans that have ****** opinions and/or a general lack of rationality when it comes to the team. I tend not to get too riled up when I see a fan make ignorant or bombastic statements about any aspect of the U or it's administration because of this.

I was born in Coral Gables. Was a Miami fan from young age, although there was not much to be excited about. Still, I was in the OB for the gator flop. Later, I went to THE U for Law school but not undergrad. Remained Cane fan throughout. I have kids who went to Ufelon and even OSU, but were, are and remain Cane fans. So I am not sure what makes a Cane fan. I think you are a full fledged Cane fan when you smile and nod you head when you hear "THE U" on Sunday or "It's a Cane thing and you wouldn't understand." Oh, and you must hate the gator.

One more thing, you do not HAVE to believe that Donna has destroyed the football program to be a Cane fan. BUT she has and that is a simple fact. She sucks and must go and be replaced by someone not like her or Foote, who sucked too. Before the Donna supporters jump on me, please explain how the almost solitary and best piece of evidence the ncca had was a picture of her holding the check? The one piece of undeniable evidence was her greedy smile on film. Still, you can like her and defend her without losing your status as a Cane fan. I mean, it is not like she is a gator.

Why bother explaining to you the circumstances of that picture when hey have been relayed several times and you continue to believe what you want about that particular situation? It's old and pointless.

I have posted on this issue before and I'll say it again...

there is a reason why they do that....

Who has more national titles?
Who has played for more national titles?
Who has more All-Americans?
Who has the longest home winning streak?
Who has the head to head series lead?
Who has more NFL players?
Who has more NFL hall of famers?
Who has the record for most players taken in the first round?
Who has the record for consecutive years a player has been taken in the first round?

You think if they had more national titles they'd care where you went to school? The only reason they say that **** is because there isn't anything football related under the sun that they have on Miami.

Advertisement
The whole argument itself is as idiotic as the you cant be a fan of a team outside of your home state...i hear that **** everywhere in new york..cause i wanna be a ******* syracuse fan

I argue this **** everyday..... The whole thing about u have to cheer for ur hometown team is the stupidest **** I've ever heard of.

Went to UM for undergrad and grad school. My retort about um fans not going to um is th as t when I drive by a trailer park in North Florida I see a lot of UF and FSU flags, if they are all alumni what does that say about the value of your degree? I Usually hear crickets.

They're not alums...believe me. I know a ton of their alums and they all do well.

Advertisement
When I went to the FSU game in Tally this year, people kept using the "you don't even go there" line on me.... The only issue is that I am actually a student and they had no basis on their statement. It's just their way to try and make our fanbase appear to be comprised of a bunch of losers but that really isn't the case. As a student, I love whenever I can talk to fellow canes fans regardless of whether or not they are students. Especially considering UM is a private school and not many people can afford to go there.

Who cares what they say?

Born and raised a Cane. Growing up in Miami in the late '50's and early '60's was paradise. Never locked our front doors, played football all year round. Ride your bike to the bay to go fishing or spear fishing. THE place to go to for a pick up touch football game then was UM. It was common to say "I'm headed over to the U, wanna go?" Every Saturday we'd go to the "fields" known today as the intramural fields in front of the 960 dorms (or whatever they're called now). Back then those dorms didn't exist and all you could see were 8 football fields, with goal posts, packed with kids who came from all over Miami to play in the best games against the best talent in the city, which included the brothers from Liberty City and the Grove. Wicked, fun games.

I seriously became a fan about the time Mira quarterbacked like Manziel way before Manziel. Hooked. Nothing like the OB. Canes forever. I walked on as a frosh in '66 and broke my collar bone, then a knee, causing me to hang em up in 2 years, but the best years. From then to now, even with the sufferings of the past decade, it's been great to be...

I so hope. No, I pine. No, I so bleed for this coming season to be a change. Please Lord, let it be so.

Born and raised in south Florida on the west coast. My grab faster was a professor of botany at UM. Been wearing Canes gear since I was born.

Advertisement
Back