Your first UM game..

Advertisement
Never been..... was planning on making it down for our match up with ND back in 2017 but I couldn’t get to the states until late November. Been living my adult life oversees so haven’t had the chance really.

Nice. That's a great first game. I was born and raised on Miami Beach but lived in VA for years. I live in Maryland now. I had to get a shîtload of snow off my car this morning. No one should miss this or the driving in the snow aspect of living up north.
Did you graduate Beach High? Sorry if I asked you this, already. I think I did but don't remember. Are you in Frederick area now? I think you might have said so.

I grew up on the Beach until 12th grade but I'm probably way older than you.

UM vs FSU 1980. Bobby Bowden went for the two point conversion at the end of the game. Jim Burt knocked it down. We won 10-9, I believe. I think that was FSU’s only regular season loss until they played and lost vs OU in the Orange Bowl. I was hooked forevermore.
That's probably when Bowden had the two-headed QB: Jim Jordan (?) and Wally Woodham. Rare team that could platoon QBs and make it work. He did.

My first game too. Lived in Charleston SC my whole life and at 14 finally found someone who wanted to go to a canes game as much as I did. I didn’t care they were cheering for Clemson and made the ride home that much sweeter.
I live here in a small town Manning,SC but my mom is from homestead and most of my family is in Miami .. I grew up loving the canes I was so pumped to see my canes .. I was so excited to get to see them for first time I was 8 years old .. now I catch them whenever they’re close to SC I catch at least a game a year

Advertisement
My father was the Orange Bowl Stadium Manager from 1960 to 1979. First time I was on the field was in 1966 when I was almost 9 years old. It was a walk through before the Canes first home game of the season. My father got permission from HC Charlie Tate to allow me to be on the field to watch. After the walk through was over, Coach Tate came over and introduced himself to my Mother and I, patted me on the head, and wished me luck on my upcoming season - my first playing optimist football. I was in such awe, I can hardly remember if he said anything else. Been a Cane ever since!

Due to some family issues, I didn't get a chance to go to a game until I got my drivers license in 1973. The first game I attended was the Houston game the day after my birthday on Oct 19. They whipped us pretty good 30-7 but it didn't deter me from being a Cane one iota.

From that game in 1973, I didn't miss another home game until my father retired in 1979. The last game in 1979 (Schnelly's fist) we beat the gayturds 30-24!

After my father retired, I obviously didn't have the access I did when he was there. I'd call and ask him to get tickets for me and he was always able to get them. One of the most memorable times was the FSU game in 1981. I called him and asked for tickets. He called a couple of days later and told me, as usual, to pick them up at the gate. When I got to the gate I usually went to, no tickets. I asked a guy I knew from my fathers tenure and he found my tickets at a gate on the visitors side! Yep, my buddy and I had to sit right in the middle of all the semenhole fans! Turned out to be one of the best times I've ever had at a game - especially since we beat them!

Did you graduate Beach High? Sorry if I asked you this, already. I think I did but don't remember. Are you in Frederick area now? I think you might have said so.

I grew up on the Beach until 12th grade but I'm probably way older than you.
My family moved to the Beach in the 1940's. I went to Beach, I have older cousins and uncles and a mother who went to Beach starting with graduation year 1960 and going up to the 80's. You and I have talked on the board I'm happy to PM with you.

Season opener in 1964 at the OB against FSU. They beat us 14-0 behind the Steve Tensi to Freddie Biletnikoff passing combination. Soph Bob Biletnikoff (Fred's bro) started his first game as a Cane at QB (Frosh weren't eligible back then).

Advertisement
I knew we had a connection... my first season tickets were for the 1983 season in the Howling Hurricanes section... then the next year I moved across (South) to row 32 isle seats on the 12 yardline... until 2004. However, I got tickets to the UF game in 79 and was invited to a OU/UM game in 75.
there was nothing like being in the OB, right GK ?

I live here in a small town Manning,SC but my mom is from homestead and most of my family is in Miami .. I grew up loving the canes I was so pumped to see my canes .. I was so excited to get to see them for first time I was 8 years old .. now I catch them whenever they’re close to SC I catch at least a game a year

Isn’t manning near Florence? But my parents were divorced and my dads side of the family lived in south Florida hence the cane connection. Hey we won the last game in Clemson too which I also went to. Hopefully we are good again by the tome we play Clemson during reg season.

But I moved to south Florida last year and got season tickets. Was a great year to start going to the games regularly between Georgia tech, Notre Dame, and Virginia tech.

Advertisement
Oh my God when you would enter the stadium the hair on your arms would stand on end from the energy... there was a special magic there.
thats a fact GK ! i feel sorry for any CANES fan that never had that experience and also doesn't know what a CANES NC feels like !
there is no way to really describe either one .... "special magic" is exactly what it was !

Freshman year, 1989. Remember getting drunk. Don’t remember the opponent or the score. Know we won because we always won at home back then. It was only an issue of by how much.

Advertisement
My first game was also in 2005. It was the Miami vs. Clemson game in Death Valley(Clemson). Had to look up score:

Miami: 36

Clemson: 30

The game went to 3 OTs and after we scored a TD(and missed the two point) in third overtime Kenny Phillips picked off Charlie whitehurst to end the game. I remember my friends who were Clemson fans told me that whitehurst hadn’t thrown an interception coming into that game and we were halfway through the season. I talked **** to my buddy and his parents the whole 3 hour ride back to Charleston SC about that interception. My Clemson friends to this day still say that game broke some sort of sound record for a sporting event and the stadium was rocking.

Our QB was Kyle Wright and I remember Tyrone Moss had a huge game. Ryan Moore and sinorice Moss had some big plays but I won’t remember anything more then the runs Devin Hester made. I know there was a penalty on the big run that brought it back but he was untouchable and how he made something out of nothing was unreal to see from the stands. Here are the highlights:

Remember watching that game when I was working in CT. Everyone there gave me crap and how we were going to lose to Clemson.

The first game I attended was in 2005 vs. Colorado in the Orange Bowl. Also attended the @Temple and Peach Bowl that year. All those games had people that I knew from the AOL Miami board (I'm dating myself..lol). Good times, I know at least one of the guys posts here (JP...whats up!).

Last edited:
I think Rick Stockstill was the QB. I couldn’t believe he went for it. They were number one in the country I think. He had balls. Had to give him that.

Several of us here are old guys and lifelong fans. It might be hard for others to understand how it felt to see UM win their first NC after all those years of mediocrity.

No kidding. I'm always in dismay when any game other than the Orange Bowl upset of Nebraska is tipped as the greatest moment in the history of the program. That completely misses the big picture. We never thought there would be opportunity for anything beyond an occasional minor bowl. During that Nebraska 2-point play I was jumping up and down with incredible nervousness because I assumed it would be the one and only opportunity.

My dad began taking me to games in the mid '60s when I was just beginning elementary school. I have no idea what the first game was. He insisted I attended the 1966 win over USC and also the scoreless tie with Notre Dame a year earlier.

I'm sure that is true but the first game I fully remember was the 1968 season opener, and 28-7 win over Northwestern on Friday night.

I loved the Scit Scat stuff. That was awesome and there has never been anything resembling it in subsequent decades. Rocking fun atmosphere. I feel sorry for anyone who didn't experience that. Later he came back for homecoming every year and that became the highlight of the season, no matter what was happening on the field.

That Whoosh Whoosh stuff is so cupcake ridiculous compared to Scit Scat. It should have remained a signature in the stands, passed on from generation to generation like the new guy who dots the I at Buckeyes football.

I'm not sure I am spelling Scit Scat correctly. But those who were there will know what I mean. The tune is ringing in my head as I type this

Advertisement
Back