Your first FSU Game Memory?

This was my first game. Hurricane Andrew has passed through in August and Down South frankly looked like ****.

Canes had an amazing defense with many returnees from the greatest defense of all time, the 1991 team. Everything about this game just felt big. It was #2 vs. #3 and there was a palpable buzz outside the OB.

I noticed even as a young kid (6) that FSU fans had already developed this dread regarding how this game might end.

1:01:00 is my favorite moment. Not sure why it isn't talked about more. Gino hung in till the last nanosecond, got CRUSHED, and delivered to an in-stride Lamar Thomas. 36 beats Clifton Abraham (2) of FSU. Abraham was a highly-touted and very much sought-after recruit who played on the same legendary 1988 Dallas Carter team as our starting LB that day, Jessie Armstead.

The 1994 game, when I had a far better understanding of the players and game, was the game that guaranteed I'd be fanatic for life. It was never gonna be just a hobby.

It was a rough stretch after the 94 game though.

Advertisement
My first memory was the game I listened to on a transistor radio in 1966 my first year as a Canes fan I had received as a present the previous Christmas. I listened to every Canes game on that radio except for the times I went to the game and I would listen to the broadcast on the radio there too. Back then the announcers made Canes games sound so exciting even when they were losing.
But my best memory is I think it was 1973 I was working as a teen at Publix in Miami on Biscayne Blvd (its still there) not far from downtown. And we snuck and listened to the game while supposedly working. Me and two buddies that were Cane fans --which was a bit rare back then among most folks in the hood ---traded off listening and working. And I remember me and them hanging out after work like the Canes had won the Super Bowl. Cause back then the Canes didn't beat FSU or **** anybody else very often. LOL And two of my neighbors John Swain and John Turner played for that 76 team that walloped FSU 47-0.

My first memory was the game I listened to on a transistor radio in 1966 my first year as a Canes fan I had received as a present the previous Christmas. I listened to every Canes game on that radio except for the times I went to the game and I would listen to the broadcast on the radio there too. Back then the announcers made Canes games sound so exciting even when they were losing.
But my best memory is I think it was 1973 I was working as a teen at Publix in Miami on Biscayne Blvd (its still there) not far from downtown. And we snuck and listened to the game while supposedly working. Me and two buddies that were Cane fans --which was a bit rare back then among most folks in the hood ---traded off listening and working. And I remember me and them hanging out after work like the Canes had won the Super Bowl. Cause back then the Canes didn't beat FSU or **** anybody else very often. LOL And two of my neighbors John Swain and John Turner played for that 76 team that walloped FSU 47-0.
Now that is a great story...seems like could be written for a book about youth growing up...like a Miami version of Stand by me

Advertisement
1986. They were ok, we were #1. They actually led going into the 4th quarter, but Vinny went off and we won 41-23.

The 1989 game was Gino's second as a starter after Craig got hurt. We turned the ball over like 4 times in the first half and were down 14-10. We force a turnover and drive down to the 2 and Shannon Crowell fumbles in the end zone. Completely changed the momentum of the game.

Fours things of note. Number 1--this is the Sebastian in pre kickoff handcuffs game. Number 2--Dennis in 2 separate series inside the 5 tried running option with Gino in the 4th quarter. It was beyond comical. I was in the opposite end zone and Gino got murdered. Number 3--At the mid-field handshake, Bowden told Erickson to get used to this (losing). Number 4--Dennis was a man possessed the week of practice leading up to the FSU game in 1990. He literally ran Stephen McGuire down Bowden's throat. I'm not sure Craig threw more than 15 passes which was unusual for our offense.
We ran for over 300 yards against them in 1990

Advertisement

2003, Canes in Tallahassee. In the rain. Sean T in the orange visor! First game where I seen a defensive player take over a game Sean Taylor went off. Pick six my favorite play of all time. The celebration was everything lol

Ps I miss Chris rix use to love giving the canes the ball and if he didn’t we use to punish him lol. Idk if anybody remembers when Vilma hit him so hard his face mask cut his face

Word, I know that was the 2000 team but was thinking the game got played in 99 bc the bowl games always spill over into the following year. Like the 2001 Canes won the 2002 Rose Bowl but they're always referred to as the 2001 team. It's early, I did it backwards LOL. We whooped UF in the Sugar Bowl that year after getting screwed out of the Orange Bowl. Not a doubt in my mind we would have beat Oklahoma either.
That's why they did not put us in that game. The powers that be KNEW we would spank that ***.....that was 2 years before they figured out how to pay Terry Porter. We'd have 8 natty's at least were it not for dumbass refs and the BCS folks

I think the first one I still remember was the seminole rap one as a kid and we went 31-0 on them. I remember one of the Sammie Smith (FSU rb) games, Wide rights 1 and 2 almost gave me a pre-pubescent heart attack. I sort of remember the 26-25 game on them in '87 I believe.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I’ll never forget pulling up to the OB it’s dusk.

I see someone with a stuffed Seminole doll with orange and green arrows in it.

And everyone is going nuts.
Mine was wide right 1. I was 11 and that was my first year I started watching the Canes

That's why they did not put us in that game. The powers that be KNEW we would spank that ***.....that was 2 years before they figured out how to pay Terry Porter. We'd have 8 natty's at least were it not for dumbass refs and the BCS folks
That's exactly how it went down. I don't think it was the "computers" in 2000. They'd been trying to do whatever they could for decades. I think they were mad we won so many NC's, especially 1991.

1999. I was in 1st grade at Howard Drive Elementary, my teacher was a Chinese Jamaican lady named Ms. Wong.

Peter Warrick & Lavernius Coles were suspended for stealing out of Kmart or some broke ***** ****, yet Chris Weinke & Ron Dugans still killed us. We came out on fire in the first half, then Kenny Kelly just came out the locker room looking awful.

Advertisement
Back