Your first FSU Game Memory?

labor day 2006 was my first game as a freshman. standing in the student line between the metal barricades to get in, some fsu fans walked by chopping at us and talking a bunch of ****. beer bottle comes flying out of the line and hits one of them square in the side of the head and knocked him out cold. we lost that night, but that's when i realized how big the rivalry really is.

Advertisement
1988. Miami dominated 31-0. FSU was ranked #1 in the country ahead of the game. FSU was loaded with stars like Deion Sanders and Heisman hopeful Sammie Smith. This was potentially one of the greatest performances ever in the history of team sports. I can't think of a better one.

Miami crushed the #1 ranked team on the scoreboard (31-0).

The Canes intercepted five passes, recovered one fumble and dominated the line of scrimmage.

FSU (including Sammie Smith) was held to a paltry 42 yards rushing on 22 attempts. Sammie Smith (who gained 189 yards the prior year against Miami) was held to 6 yards on 10 carries.

An incredible performance by the Canes and quite the introduction to one of the greatest rivalries in all of sports. At its best, no other college rivalry comes close to Miami-FSU. So many iconic games & plays over time. The good news is that so many times we had the mental edge and found the way to win (when both teams were stout).

Watching on the tube, game at Doak and Bert Reynolds was waxing poetic on the idiot box. FSU was rolling and then Walsh hit Irv for the bomb and he high fives some dude in the stands. Miami rallied back as Bobby snatched defeat out of the clutches of victory.

Advertisement
🤕

1979 at Doak with my dad (Gator), uncle (Nole), oldest brother (Gator) and middle bother (Nole).

We got smashed (looked it up - 40-23, but it seemed a lot worse)

All 4 of 'em rode the **** out of my little *** all the way home

First game I really recall attending was at 14 years old; 1988 in the Orange Bowl—night game, defending national champs Miami ranked #6 and Florida State the preseason #1—stupid rap video and all. I'd been to games before, but 1986 and 1984 were a bit blurrier.

Canes 31, Seminoles 0

Missed 1992 in person as I started college that fall, but was back for the 1994 game (after driving to Tallahassee in 1993 for the 28-10 loss)—epic night and rowdy as ****. Thought the place was going to explode when Carlos Jones pick-sixed Danny Kanell.

Worked for a sports marketing company in 2000 and they flew me back for the game with a sideline pass. Greatest in person experience of my life. Ran up and down the sidelines and was in back of the end zone when Shockey caught the game winner. Rushed the field with the team. Still have clumps of the 50-yard line in a shot glass in my office.

Flew my girlfriend-now-wife back for the 2002 game and Wide Left. (She also got the Rose Bowl and Florida 2003 ... as well as the Fiesta and 48-0 against Virginia in the OB finale. Ouch.)

Back for overtime in 2004, as well as a **** of a boys trip in 2006 for that 13-10 loss. Epic tailgating day, though.

Still, shutting those fools up in 1988 was something special—that level of a beating after the disrespect of the pollsters, as well as the lame-*** rap video by those bulky nerds.

(Earliest game I recall attending all together was the collapse against Maryland and Frank Reich in Jimmy's first year as my dad and uncle absolutely lost their minds leaving the stadium—shell-shocked. Next game as Hail Flutie, two weeks later for Thanksgiving—uncle and dad just did laps walking around the pool, too rattled to sit down to dinner.)

First game in attendance: 2003 in Tallahassee. FSU had a scholarship program for out of state students and their open house was that day. The best part was that you got two free tickets to the game, if you were a prospect for that scholar program . My dad and I flew out, took the tour(Halfway through the tour, I realized there was no way I wanted to go to school there) went to the game and watched Sean Taylor dominate.

First game as a Miami student: 2004. The season opener got pushed back due to a hurricane. I ended up dragging my roommate to the game(He was doing laundry and left it in the 2nd floor Pearson laundry room). Great night!

Advertisement

Miami vs FSU - 1994

It was the first game that my Dad ever took me & brothers to in the OB.

I remember how dominant our Defense was that game, we picked off bum *** Danny Kanell 4 times that game, including the infamous Carlos Jones pick 6 in the 3rd quarter to pull away in the game with a 2TD lead. Our Run Defense was stifling, FSU only rushed for something like 45 yards, Kenny Holmes, Warren Sapp, Dwayne The Rock Johnso, Kenard Lang, Ray Lewis, Rohan Marley & Twan Russell were stuffing Warrick Dunn & Zack Crockett, they couldn’t move the ball at all on the ground. Especially Warren Sapp he was absolutely dominating that game, he was eating their OL alive! Oddly enough, FSU’s OC that year was none other than Mark Richt lol

James Stewart, Larry Jones & Al Shipman were running it all over FSU too.

And I think it was one of the few times Frank Costa had a good game & didn’t turn the ball over lol

It was the game that made me fall in love with Miami Hurricanes Football, never been in a louder stadium in my life at that point (I was only a kid though lol), but that season in particular is when I became such a huge Ray Lewis fan & really started to love & watch the game of football.

I was there...Loudest Moment in OB History (Jones Pick6)

Gotta love that slo-mo football ;)
All teams, especially Southern teams, played "field position" football back then. The running game and the punter were the paramount weapons. You tried to "flip the field" and waited for the opponent to make a mistake. A VERY conservative approach that UM adhered to.

FSU in 1964 with future Chargers/Broncos QB Sreve Tensi and future NFL HoF receiver Freddie Biletnikoff conducted a veritable passing extravaganza, in comparison. They were ahead of their time in throwing the ball a lot!

You guys have lived the life, seeing this game in person, numerous times from most of you. I have never attended a live FSU/ Miami game but my first real exposure to this game was back in ‘87 when Irvin took that bomb down the sideline.

The most important play of that game for me was Bubba McDowell running down Sammy Smith which led to an FSU a field goal. A TD there and FSU probably wins.

Advertisement
You guys have lived the life, seeing this game in person, numerous times from most of you. I have never attended a live FSU/ Miami game but my first real exposure to this game was back in ‘87 when Irvin took that bomb down the sideline.

The most important play of that game for me was Bubba McDowell running down Sammy Smith which led to an FSU a field goal. A TD there and FSU probably wins.
Sammy had a HUGE game in 87...They took him out for a rest....and the next play FSU Fumbled (bad exchange) and Blades recovered it...

Advertisement

Miami vs FSU - 1994

It was the first game that my Dad ever took me & brothers to in the OB.

I remember how dominant our Defense was that game, we picked off bum *** Danny Kanell 4 times that game, including the infamous Carlos Jones pick 6 in the 3rd quarter to pull away in the game with a 2TD lead. Our Run Defense was stifling, FSU only rushed for something like 45 yards, Kenny Holmes, Warren Sapp, Dwayne The Rock Johnso, Kenard Lang, Ray Lewis, Rohan Marley & Twan Russell were stuffing Warrick Dunn & Zack Crockett, they couldn’t move the ball at all on the ground. Especially Warren Sapp he was absolutely dominating that game, he was eating their OL alive! Oddly enough, FSU’s OC that year was none other than Mark Richt lol

James Stewart, Larry Jones & Al Shipman were running it all over FSU too.

And I think it was one of the few times Frank Costa had a good game & didn’t turn the ball over lol

It was the game that made me fall in love with Miami Hurricanes Football, never been in a louder stadium in my life at that point (I was only a kid though lol), but that season in particular is when I became such a huge Ray Lewis fan & really started to love & watch the game of football.

This is, and probably always will be, my favorite Canes game ever.

I’m spoiled. First FSU game was Wide Right II sitting in the WEZ. Barrow hit on vanover followed by the Riley sack we’re insane loud.
This was my first game. Hurricane Andrew has passed through in August and Down South frankly looked like ****.

Canes had an amazing defense with many returnees from the greatest defense of all time, the 1991 team. Everything about this game just felt big. It was #2 vs. #3 and there was a palpable buzz outside the OB.

I noticed even as a young kid (6) that FSU fans had already developed this dread regarding how this game might end.

1:01:00 is my favorite moment. Not sure why it isn't talked about more. Gino hung in till the last nanosecond, got CRUSHED, and delivered to an in-stride Lamar Thomas. 36 beats Clifton Abraham (2) of FSU. Abraham was a highly-touted and very much sought-after recruit who played on the same legendary 1988 Dallas Carter team as our starting LB that day, Jessie Armstead.

The 1994 game, when I had a far better understanding of the players and game, was the game that guaranteed I'd be fanatic for life. It was never gonna be just a hobby.

The 1989 game was Gino's second as a starter after Craig got hurt. We turned the ball over like 4 times in the first half and were down 14-10. We force a turnover and drive down to the 2 and Shannon Crowell fumbles in the end zone. Completely changed the momentum of the game.

Fours things of note. Number 1--this is the Sebastian in pre kickoff handcuffs game. Number 2--Dennis in 2 separate series inside the 5 tried running option with Gino in the 4th quarter. It was beyond comical. I was in the opposite end zone and Gino got murdered. Number 3--At the mid-field handshake, Bowden told Erickson to get used to this (losing). Number 4--Dennis was a man possessed the week of practice leading up to the FSU game in 1990. He literally ran Stephen McGuire down Bowden's throat. I'm not sure Craig threw more than 15 passes which was unusual for our offense.

As for point 3 we Won 4 of the next 5 while Erickson was here. 😃

Advertisement
Back