Your first FSU Game Memory?

Dghustla

Junior
I’ll never forget pulling up to the OB it’s dusk.

I see someone with a stuffed Seminole doll with orange and green arrows in it.

And everyone is going nuts.

Advertisement
Don’t remember how old I was but we were walking into the OB and seeing FSU fans taping bags of beer to their bodies. I mean quart sized ziploc bags filled half full with beer to go undetected at security (or lack thereof back in those days). Definitely early to mid 80’s. Always a head scratcher to this day as they sold beer in the old school “Cold Beer” light blue cups at the game. Who in their right mind would ever want beer at 98.6 degrees (or warmer given our crowd and sun)? Smuggle in booze, sure, but beer?

Advertisement
I was in second grade watching the 2002 game from the hospital bed because my parents and I thought I was having appendicitis. Pain was unbearable and hurt even more after cheering the missed kick. Turns out it was just really bad gas/mild form of colitis lol. Parents were ****ed we spent all Saturday in a hospital for basically nothing, but all in all it was a good day because the canes won

Advertisement
Advertisement
1980 at the OB 10-9 win. Def battle.

That's when I first realized fans peed in the sinks if the bathroom was packed. LOL
I was at that one and one of the most memorable for me.

My father retired as the OB Stadium Manager the year before. He still had connections so I asked him to get me a couple of tickets. When I got them, I knew exactly where they were - great seats, 45 yard line about 20 rows up on the VISITORS side right in the middle of the semenholes!

My buddy and I said fugg it, let’s go. We had a blast. We were lucky that most of the semenholes around us were good sports. We ragged and ribbed each other the entire game and even had a couple of them buy us beers. They felt sorry for us. Lol

September '78
First FSU game.
First Hurricane game.

1) It was my first time at thee Orange Bowl thinking..."this is it??"
2) There were more FSU fans than Miami fans (about 10k of us of the "crowd" of 25k).
Good seats though, lol.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think it was 91 we all piled into my moms Astro van to watch at Eureka park during a pop Warner Saturday.

2000* but great play
Word, I know that was the 2000 team but was thinking the game got played in 99 bc the bowl games always spill over into the following year. Like the 2001 Canes won the 2002 Rose Bowl but they're always referred to as the 2001 team. It's early, I did it backwards LOL. We whooped UF in the Sugar Bowl that year after getting screwed out of the Orange Bowl. Not a doubt in my mind we would have beat Oklahoma either.

Advertisement
Back