Your first Canes football game?

1990 vs. Iowa in the OB. Loudest placed I'd ever been. Until the next weekend.

Even though my father started taking me to games in '89 (first game against Cal, got the souvenir cups to prove it), the first game I can actually really remember is against Iowa in '90. Perhaps because we rode Tri-rail down from Lauderdale, which was unusual because I think we drove before that, and there were a bunch of Iowa fans riding on it as well. I remember that, when we got on it in Broward, the Iowa fans were numerous and noisy, the closer we got to the OB, the more they were overwhelmed with UM fans. And after the game, man, I remember how defeated they looked.

Weird that the first game that stuck, it stuck because of a bunch of mid-westerners that watched their team get their asses kicked, but man, they were outclassed, and they knew it. Them recognizing their inevitable destruction at the hands of superior talent made a lasting impression, I guess.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Wide Right I. When he missed that kick the crowd went wild thinking he had made it. 5 seconds later all you could hear was the wailing of their women.

First time in OB was 1969 Jets Namath/Colts Unitas. Went with my dad and a couple of his biz associates. They partied and I hung out at Miami Beach. Got bored rented a scooter and visited U of M campus. Loved it, Transferred to the U and went to every home game. First game lost to FSU and developed a life long hate of Seminoles!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Advertisement
Miami vs UF 2003. Still remember it was a bus from orlando area 90% gators and then me, my dad and a friend of mine who talked **** the whole way about how great Devin Hester was. Bus was late and we were going to miss kick off so the 3 of us actually got off middle of traffic and ran and were walking down the aisle as Hester ran the opening kick off back. And Sean T nearly ran the 2nd kick off back.

Then it was all UF for 2 Qtrs until the huge comeback. Awesome game! The 4.5 hour ride home on the Gator bus was awwweeeesome!

1975 watching Kary Baker - 44% completion perecentage and TD to interception ratio of 8 to 34 ...... that is NOT a typo and that was when we were thinking about dropping the football program

My first games were during the Kary Baker days, I was 10. I can still hear my Dad yelling "Take Baker Out" - Our family has had season tickets since 1974 - we are on our 3rd generation of tailgaters.

Advertisement
1975 watching Kary Baker - 44% completion perecentage and TD to interception ratio of 8 to 34 ...... that is NOT a typo and that was when we were thinking about dropping the football program

Yeah, looking back on it, the Carl Selmer "era" in 1975-76 was pretty bad.

The Canes went 2-8 and 3-8, albeit with quite a few close losses. Top-ranked Oklahoma escaped the Orange Bowl with a 20-17 victory in late September of '75.

Even though Miami did "suspend" basketball in 1971, I wasn't aware there was talk of doing the same in football. But like the UM president hinted at the time in this Sports Illustrated article, it was probably UF and FSU putting out lies to hurt recruiting.

Nevertheless, our home attendance, even by the mid-70's standards of major college football, wasn't very good (and to make things tougher, the Dolphins were rolling, too).

Oklahoma 37k
Colorado 18k
Houston 15k
Navy 18k
Notre Dame 24k
Turds 25k

Holes 26k
Duke 13k
TCU 10k
Boston College 15k
Penn State 19k

1983 the Canes played Purdue and put a serious *** whipping on them 35-0. A friend of mind played for Purdue, if I remember right Rod Woodson was on that team and Kevin Sumlin.

Advertisement
1958 against the turds...lost 16-13...I was 6 so I don't remember much but I know I started hating UFAG that day and my hates only grown stronger over the years.

Lord, these guys are kids. My hats off to you that you remember all that. My first was in 1960, but I can't recall who we played of the score. I was 8. Too young to notice then and too old to remember now. Bad bookends but the middle was frigging great.

Late 60s when Charile Tate was coach for us. The first game I really remember is the ugly Gator Flop in 1971. Our coach, Fran Curci was livid. Reaves got a fake record. I could choose that day to hate football or to hate Gayturds football. 46 years later, I still love football!

Miami vs Simone in 1981 when the pop Warner team I played with want thanks to those free tickets the Herald offered in the Sunday paper, I think it was vs Louisville. Canes won!!

I got to thinking about my first time as a young Canes fan way back in 1974.

Miami defeated the University of Tampa 28-26 in late September. And the only reason I saw it was because by chance our family had driven 4 hours to St. Pete that weekend to visit my grandmother!

Other than the Canes winning and UT quarterback and future Dolphins star Freddie Solomon running wild, I couldn't recall many details from four decades ago. So I looked it up and noticed a few interesting tidbits:

• The 41k at Tampa Stadium that night was the 2nd-most in UT history
  • The Canes blocked two chip-shot field goals in the 4th quarter
  • For financial reasons, UT shut down its football program at the end of the season. The Buccaneers played their first game in Tampa Stadium less than 2 years later.

UM climbed to No. 16 in the AP poll, but the Canes lost the next week to No. 11 Auburn 3-0 at the Orange Bowl and weren't ranked again until Howard Schnelleberger's second season in 1980.

Anybody else have memories — good or bad — from their first UM football game?

Miami vs Clemson.... Death Valley 2005, triple overtime 36-30. Kenny Phillips intercepted the Charlie Whitehurst pass right in front of me. It was so loud in that stadium, but as soon as the int happened you could hear a pen drop. I was 15... saw thousands of Clemson fans cry, literally. I felt like my soul was right with the Lord when I saw those tears.

Advertisement
Back