Your first Canes football game?

I got to thinking about my first time as a young Canes fan way back in 1974.

Miami defeated the University of Tampa 28-26 in late September. And the only reason I saw it was because by chance our family had driven 4 hours to St. Pete that weekend to visit my grandmother!

Other than the Canes winning and UT quarterback and future Dolphins star Freddie Solomon running wild, I couldn't recall many details from four decades ago. So I looked it up and noticed a few interesting tidbits:

• The 41k at Tampa Stadium that night was the 2nd-most in UT history
  • The Canes blocked two chip-shot field goal attempts in the 4th quarter
  • For financial reasons, UT shut down its football program at the end of the season. The Buccaneers played their first game in Tampa Stadium less than 2 years later.

UM climbed to No. 16 in the AP poll, but the Canes lost the next week to No. 11 Auburn 3-0 at the Orange Bowl and weren't ranked again until Howard Schnelleberger's second season in 1980.

Anybody else have memories — good or bad — from your first UM football game?

Last edited:
Advertisement
1958 against the turds...lost ..I was 6 so I don't remember much but I know I started hating UFAG that day and my hates only grown stronger over the years.

Last edited:
I was so young I honestly don't remember the year or the opponent, but the OB was about half full that day and you could cook an egg on the bleachers. I remember early in the game, the quarterback for the opposing team ran a bootleg, tucked the ball and ... BOOM! The loudest sound you could have ever heard! He got blindsided by a burly hurricanes linebacker, and lay motionless in the turf as I turned to my dad to celebrate!

Excitedly I yelled, "who IS that, daddy?"

He chuckled, tilted his head and said, "Son, that's Craig Cogswell."

And that was when I had my first erection.

Advertisement
Sadly never been to one, family never had much spare cash growing up so never got to go to the OB, I'm saving up enough cash for me and 4 of my other friends to go to Tallahassee this year to see us break the streak, absolutely can't wait!

Canes v Gators... Canes 31-4.. think 2 safeties .. I was probably 10 or so..

1992 orange bowl. 22-0 over Nebraska for the national title. It was also the time I realized that watching football with my mother is extremely annoying.

Vs ND at the OB. Jim Kelly was the QB. We stomped them. Can't remember the year but I know it was in the early 80s

Advertisement
First one I remember was being at the Gator Bowl when Kerwin Bell and the Gaytors came from behind to beat us on a last minute one handed catch at the pylon (by Ricky Nattiel?). I was probably about 8 and that set the tone for my Gaytor hatred. I did get to meet George Mira before the game however which was way cool. One of the last times that ****** school beat us if I'm remembering correctly. Urban vs Radio being the other.

Never been to a game as my family was not a sports family and ive never been in the area for one. With that said Wide Right II was my first canes game and been a cane fan since.

Advertisement
Went to games as a young one with my grandfather.. first adult game 98 at uc. First orange bowl as an adult 99 vs Penn state. (Conceived our second child on trip)

September 18, 1965, versus SMU in the Orange Bowl my freshman year at the U. Lost 7-3.

But we did beat the gayturds 16-13 that year and tied notre dame 0-0. That was an exciting game!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Entered grad school at UM in 1964. First game: FSU 14, UM 0. They had Fred Biletnikoff at WR. We had his brother Bob as a running QB. Their QB was Steve Tensi who beat around the NFL for 6 years. Fred Biletnikoff had great hands and played a long time for the Raiders.

Bob signed a baseball contract worth $100,000 with the Yankees after his junior year and left school. That amount of money was a lot of money then. One thing that influenced him to sign was the baseball draft system was on its way and he wanted to sign before it took effect. FSU finished that season 9-1-1 and UM finished 4-5-1 and allowed only 13.3 points per game.

I don't recall any outstanding plays.

Sadly never been to one, family never had much spare cash growing up so never got to go to the OB, I'm saving up enough cash for me and 4 of my other friends to go to Tallahassee this year to see us break the streak, absolutely can't wait!

lots of firsts... wecome to the U and party hard

cat5
"Hurricane Ron"

Last edited:
2003 vs Florida 10 years old will never forget on that day the canes became my
Favorite team even as a south Florida kid canes are something special over Dolphins, heat and Marlins

Advertisement
Back