YOU GUYS SEEN THIS ****

Mission: to govern competition in a fair, safe, equitable and sportsmanlike manner, and to integrate intercollegiate athletics into higher education so that the educational experience of the student-athlete is paramount.

Advertisement
If kids are making six figures then we are either entering the era of college kids being responsible with money or we should be seeing Lambos.
Lol do you even know what the yearly up keep on a Lamborghini is? You’re seeing exactly what they can afford. Charger scat packs.

Lol do you even know what the yearly up keep on a Lamborghini is? You’re seeing exactly what they can afford. Charger scat packs.
I mean seven figures (millions). These boys are not even going Tommy Streeter on us.

Advertisement
Out of scholarships or class already at the 25 player limit? No big deal. With that kinda money they don't even need to offer kids scholarships anymore or worry about the 25 player class limit.

If they can convince a recruit to walk on, they can hand him a NIL deal worth whatever he wants, which can include an additional amount for the cost of the tuition money that they won't be getting from a scholarship.

Their booster's donations are in the tens of millions. It would be cheaper for them to pay multiple recruits a million each. It would SAVE those boosters money.

We're about to see 100+ players on rosters full of 4* and 5* players, with many of them being called walk ons.
That’s my concern. That you could have signing classes that include dozens of 4 star walk ons. Where 90% of the ESPN Top 300 end up at two schools.

The NCAA needs to impose hard player limits, or mandate that a player must be under scholarship to qualify for a NIL. Otherwise The 300 will not be just a movie, but an apt description of the amount of players joining Alabama each season.

If certain schools are you to pay high school kids their families or handlers over a Million a year then the sport will continue to be ruined. All it means is the SEC will continue to ruin the sport. look at Caleb Williams. He will end up at Georgia. This is the problem. SEC schools will just tamper and fill in spots. I’m all for kids making something. I’m not for this kinda thing. My opinion.

Advertisement
It’s around $5-7k. With tires maybe $10-12k at most. If a kid makes a million over 4 years ($250k a year) he can afford any car up to around $400k. It’ll cost him half of what he makes, so not smart, but possible. Of course that is if anyone will approve him to get that loan. It’s not like these kids are paying $2-3k a month for apartments, or for food in these po dunk towns.

That’s my concern. That you could have signing classes that include dozens of 4 star walk ons. Where 90% of the ESPN Top 300 end up at two schools.

The NCAA needs to impose hard player limits, or mandate that a player must be under scholarship to qualify for a NIL. Otherwise The 300 will not be just a movie, but an apt description of the amount of players joining Alabama each season.

There are limits to this though. Kids are still going to want to play, and finding 100 4 star players that just want to ride pine and get paid when they can play somewhere else (and still get paid) is going to be an issue even for the Bamas and UGAs of the sport

Paying young kids and several with poor guidance or financial literacy is a recipe for disaster.
Jimbo is notorious for not giving a Fck about character or culture. JW saved that team and fsu is a prime example that talent alone won’t win it.
Jimbo left that fsu team stacked. Unfortunately it wasn’t stacked with leadership.
Your giving players that by there elite athlete status have already been coddled somewhat and protected.
Now your giving them real money. Not a few g’s here and there but a legit salary.
Hopefully nothing goes wrong. But it’s like a time bomb imo.

I'm pretty sure once you play a snap in a game you are considered "Scholarship" whether you are paying out of pocket or not. This limits the roster size you are allowed to have
No. Walk-ons can play without a scholarship, it just so happens once a walk-on earns real playing time he is often eventually rewarded with a scholarship.

You may be thinking of the rule stating a football player cannot receive a scholarship in another sport. Once he begins playing his scholarship must be switched to football. This prevents programs stashing players on the track team, etc.

Advertisement
NIL needs regulations at the national level, either from Congress or preferably from the schools themselves. Both options present problems, and the later might require treating the student-athlete as a employee, or perhaps independent contractor.

If you want fewer transfers due to NIL, have fewer scholarships. Reduce the total of 85 to 75, or even 70. This would disperse talent throughout CFB, from P5 to G5, and down to the FCS level.

It would be great if any legal beagles on the boards could comment on the legal complexities of the NCAA or some other CFB governing body placing movement and NIL restrictions on players. Including player representation in determining these rules.

There are limits to this though. Kids are still going to want to play, and finding 100 4 star players that just want to ride pine and get paid when they can play somewhere else (and still get paid) is going to be an issue even for the Bamas and UGAs of the sport
Unless the NILs get so extreme that a pro contract is not needed. Let’s say everyone at Alabama is getting $25M per year (I know extreme), or at least the first 150 players. There are a number of four star players who might ride the pine and forgo a shot at the NFL just to take that money.

Again, for Alabama it would be about keeping talent away from Georgia and the rest of the country.

The fact that there are unlimited walkons and a clever group of boosters could ensure that the NIL covers the cost of tuition as part of the package could mean gigantic signing classes for an Alabama or Georgia.

Lambert tried something similar before the season went off the rails. We will be a player in this game.

Advertisement
I live in Texas, I understand that A&M has money and a cult alumni following that borders on being weird.

If $25mm/yr will buy you Texas A&M's recruiting class, we can and should match that.

You say Texas A&M has produced a lot of CEO's and that's true, but the gap with Miami isn't as big as all that. Here is a better one that also includes UM: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/28/these-30-colleges-produced-the-most-current-fortune-500-ceos.html

Shows that A&M has produced 6, and Miami has produced 4. All told, that's not a huge difference.
I love cfb and the university of Miami as much as the next guy, but I do not put it on ANYONE to dish out $25M per year on un-proven amateur football players. That’s insane. If you want to spend your money that way, more power to ya. If people who fund Miami don’t, I would blame not them at all. **** imo $1M per 25 recruits is still crazy, that’s 40k a year.

I love cfb and the university of Miami as much as the next guy, but I do not put it on ANYONE to dish out $25M per year on un-proven amateur football players. That’s insane. If you want to spend your money that way, more power to ya. If people who fund Miami don’t, I would blame not them at all. **** imo $1M per 25 recruits is still crazy, that’s 40k a year.
This. Unless it's clout chasing then I just don't see what's in it for the people paying the money. Someday they are going to wake up and wonder what they just spent $10, $50 or $100M on.

**** I make good money and that's what I got. I need to go back in time 35 years and make better decisions.

Attachments

• IMG_20210430_164324.jpg
    IMG_20210430_164324.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
Advertisement
Back