Yearby vs Cook?

Don't even try to compare Cook to Duke! Duke will be the greatest RB Miami has EVER had. Cook and Yearby are two different types of runners, doesn't mean one is better than the other at this point. Miller was faster than Duke, I take Duke over Miller 10 out of 10 times. I hope Yearby comes in and makes all you doubter eat your words. Welcome to the U! Yearby is better than anyone who came out of SF last year. Cane!

cook is better all day... Cook is like duke... can return kicks and all...

naw mane...cook is way faster than duke

Advertisement
Don't even try to compare Cook to Duke! Duke will be the greatest RB Miami has EVER had. Cook and Yearby are two different types of runners, doesn't mean one is better than the other at this point. Miller was faster than Duke, I take Duke over Miller 10 out of 10 times. I hope Yearby comes in and makes all you doubter eat your words. Welcome to the U! Yearby is better than anyone who came out of SF last year. Cane!

I dont like the Duke comparison for Cook. IMO Lamar MIller is a better comparison, although I like Cook better at the same age.

Cook is a better athlete but Duke is just amazing football player. He was put on earth to carry the rock.

441.gif

I dont think I have seen ANYBODY doubt Yearby. Really good player, just unfortunate that he plays with arguably the best player in dade so the comparisons are inevitable. Hopefully he sticks and get to see him tote that rock for the U

Advertisement
There is a reason the Yearby Cook debate is a tough one, because they are both such different RBs and both special. I personally have gone back and forth over the past couple years on who I prefer.

Yearby = ELITE vision, great feet, good speed and burst, solid bulky low center of gravity runner. Gio Bernard/Frank Gore type of RB. Watching Yearby run is literally a thing of beauty as you see him find and create lanes that you had no idea were there. He is an extremely efficient runner that will consistently get good yardage.

Cook = ELITE burst, great speed, good feet, good physicality, solid vision. Cook is more of a boom or bust RB. You give him 6 carries and 3 will be stuffed for no gain and 3 will go for 20+ yards. He is kind of like Lamar Miller in that way. But, I think the best comparisons for Cook are CJ Spiller and Devin Hester.

Both are going to be tremendously impactful at the next level, just in different ways. Out of the 2, Cook needs a running partner more and needs an innovative offensive mind to get him the ball in creative ways in space (hate to say it but Clemson would be a great fit for him - but, then again, Chad Morris will not be there much longer). Yearby doesn't need all that, but won't boom as big time as Cook. Yearby can run the basics - dive, off tackle, counter, etc. - and consistently drive you down the field.

Both are assets to a BCS program. Cook will have more ESPN top 10 plays, Yearby will keep more drives going.

Very happy with the Yearby pick up. To me, Cook feels like a Devin Hester/Noel Divine type kid. A phenomenal athlete that will probably end up bouncing around different positions. Yes he's a "playmaker" but we need a consistent, every down type back. If we can land Sony to be the "homerun" threat to complement Yearby, we will be in great shape. Im pretty sure the Staff feels that Cook is gone, and are not going to be playing games and get left with their d*cks in their hands again on NSD. There is nothing at this point that leads me to think Cook is likely to come here. We need to hold on to Yearby and put the full court press on Sony.

441.gif

I dont think its a crazy statement at all.

He's on pace to be the greatest statistically.

Better stats or talent in high school does not mean better talent or stats in college, the same way better talent or stats in college do not mean the same in the NFL.

That is true. But when you have better stats (on the same team), better size, better speed and better athleticism...well, there isn't a whole lot left.

Advertisement
Better stats or talent in high school does not mean better talent or stats in college, the same way better talent or stats in college do not mean the same in the NFL.

That is true. But when you have better stats (on the same team), better size, better speed and better athleticism...well, there isn't a whole lot left.

I am not sure I typed the initial quote but do agree with D$. But at the same time I think those type of thoughts will fall on deaf ears because there is a natural biased at the moment, long way til signing day 2014 and if there are any changes it will be funny to see the opinions change. I actually cant wait.

What about the most important factor for a RB - Vision.

I'm really back and forth between these 2 guys. I like them for different roles and different reasons.

I didn't get to see Central play in person this season, but I know that Yearby was moved to QB for a good portion of the season, so that both their backs could impact the game more. Is it possible that Yearby's YPC were lower because a team has to take away the first option (i.e. Yearby who got most carries) before worrying about the second option in the read option they seemed to run some. Yearby certainly did a lot to open up running lanes for Cook.

I'm pretty sure you can go around the NFL and find 30-40RBs with better size, speed and athleticism then Frank Gore. But you can't find any with a better combination of vision, feet and the ability to make people miss in the hole.

So yearby is a better running back and cook is a better football player.

Got it

We still need Sony

Advertisement

What about the most important factor for a RB - Vision.

I'm really back and forth between these 2 guys. I like them for different roles and different reasons.

I didn't get to see Central play in person this season, but I know that Yearby was moved to QB for a good portion of the season, so that both their backs could impact the game more. Is it possible that Yearby's YPC were lower because a team has to take away the first option (i.e. Yearby who got most carries) before worrying about the second option in the read option they seemed to run some. Yearby certainly did a lot to open up running lanes for Cook.

Great post

Everyone forgets Yearby ran for 2k as a sophomore

I love how Cook was the best back in the country 2 days ago and now its an argument if Yearby is better

Advertisement
I love how Cook was the best back in the country 2 days ago and now its an argument if Yearby is better

Confirmation bias on your part. You're seeing what you want to see.

I have seen A LOT of people in this thread say they still prefer Cook but like them both. I have seen less people saying they prefer Yearby over Cook. And I have seen A LOT of people saying they are both studs (who knew more than one good RB could exist?) and then giving some analysis of their games with comparisons to foster discussion.

The rating of one of these backs is not interdependent upon the rating of the other. They aren't sharing from a pool of rating points. They can both be rated highly based on their talents, and that is the case.

I have seen A LOT of people in this thread say they still prefer Cook but like them both. I have seen less people saying they prefer Yearby over Cook. And I have seen A LOT of people saying they are both studs (who knew more than one good RB could exist?) and then giving some analysis of their games with comparisons to foster discussion.

The rating of one of these backs is not interdependent upon the rating of the other. They aren't sharing from a pool of rating points. They can both be rated highly based on their talents, and that is the case.

This is why I have a man crush on you g

I teach the concept of confirmation bias in my B school class... +1 for intellectual rep!

Advertisement
Back