Year 3

Brother I’m not all the way serious I know what the metric is lol i don’t think brevin was just undoubtedly better than Will though period.

Jordan was All-ACC every year and Mallory led the entire country in drop rate as a sophomore.

Are you serious with this?

Advertisement
Not only are they real, they also tend to all be experts on the inner workings of the University as a whole. Ex-Provosts at a minimum.

In fairness to them, it's hard to watch games given their rigorous careers in major university athletic administration AND coaching while also raising piles of money to donate to The U.

"Torched by UNC" was in 2020-2021 season. I'm not sure how else to describe 62-26 loss. This happens in the 5th year of installing own defense and recruiting defensive payers. Sorry but I couldn't care less about their scoring total in the last six seasons. You are supposed to get better as years go on as a coach and as a team.
And it's not like we were beating them consistently before (once every other season?) or in a convincing manner. This is not a mighty football school by the way. It is Basketball Carolina.
View attachment 149634

We won the game before 48-0 and beat Virginia Tech while holding them 100 yards below their season rushing average the week before.

Let me guess, doesn’t matter.

All that matters was that perfect storm game of COVID fatigue, two DLs with one foot out the door and position coaches who hadn’t been with the team for a solid month

And give me a break with that 2021 talk. He painted it as an ongoing thing, nor a one time deal.

We won the game before 48-0 and beat Virginia Tech while holding them 100 yards below their season rushing average the week before.

Let me guess, doesn’t matter.

All that matters was that perfect storm game of COVID fatigue, two DLs with one foot out the door and position coaches who hadn’t been with the team for a solid month

And give me a break with that 2021 talk. He painted it as an ongoing thing, nor a one time deal.
If you are right, and as a fan since 1984 I hope I'm wrong, we will win the coastal this upcoming season. Let's see.

Advertisement
Shoop may have a lot of influence on the D scheme but we shouldn’t overlook the TRob influence either.
Shoop was brought in for a reason , go look at the last couple times his defenses faced bama. They were to of the better performances you’ll find against a Bama O. Its not an accident he joined the analysis staff this off season. We got lucky he was available and able to afford that role.

The main reason would be that Manny is calling the defense. His scheme is just not fundamentally sound.

There's nothing at linebacker, and even when he had quarterman and Pinckney (his most talented linebackers, they still were not utilized well).

A stryker (who is an undersized linebacker) and 1 clueless WLB is not going to be able to hold up to Alabama.

The defensive backs should improve outright. However, will there be clear cut starters or is gonna be a rotating circus like we've seen? There are too many players who shouldn't be playing but still will.

The defensive line is still a question. Will any of the tackles emerge and make an impact? Is Harvey good enough to replace Roche? Is McCloud going to get meaningful reps?

Manny is not a real football coach. He'd be a textbook, modern-era perfect director of football ops guy. He always wins the offseason and everything off the field.

Anything on the field he's responsible for is a joke. FIU, LA TECH, UNC....

That's why I'm pessimistic about the defense.

I still think seniority and favoritism will be be seen and felt on the offense. (WR, RB), but Lashlee is an actual coach and I'd say he's actually pretty good.
And you thought the defense in 16, 17 and 18 were dog ****?

Shoop was brought in for a reason , go look at the last couple times his defenses faced bama. They were to of the better performances you’ll find against a Bama O. Its not an accident he joined the analysis staff this off season. We got lucky he was available and able to afford that role.
No doubt. Manny playing chess?

Advertisement
Advertisement
(Long reply)

People correlate a great defense with causing havoc and thats just not true. Bama has had some of the best defensive units year in and out over the last 10 years and I will bet money they havent had more than 1-2 guys who had more than 8-10 sacks in a season. MAYBE Courtney Upshaw and Quinton Williams. Their defensive scheme isnt reliant on havoc. Its playing sound and assignment football AND stopping the run at all costs.

I think Manny has the DL to do this type of scheme even if he cant create the usual havoc he likes.. A DT rotation of Ford, Nesta, Miller and JHH should absolutely be stout against the run this season. Ford, as much as people have given up on him, looked like a man on a mission this Spring. You stop the run and I like our chances against anyone with the secondary we have. (and I have been on the record in saying this could be the best secondary we have had since 2005. I think they can be that great) I have also said many times I think this will be the most underrated DL we have had here ever when the dust settles at the end of this season.. I like what we have in the room. No babies in this room. All full grown men.

If this OL cant get it done than I dont think we will have an OL that does for years. A rotation of Zion-Rivers-Gaynor-ND-Williams/Scaife is probably on paper the best OL we have had since the Golden era when we had Seantrel, Linder, Feliciano and McDerm. Every mock draft has Zion going in the first round. (not saying I agree but it is what it is) Every poster on here has said ND is NFL ready. And Williams/Scaife both are solid OTs. Rivers was a big time recruit. So fine, Gaynor isnt a stud, but lets see how he does this season. If they can just not get bytched against Bama and hold their own..confidence wise they will know they can hang with any DL on the schedule and become a force as the season goes on.

Mallory will be just as good as Brevin and I think most people will agree on that. I think he shocks people. I think Likens and Manny have made it clear they are ready to move on from Pope and Wiggins. I know posters have PTSD when it comes to that but Manny isnt getting fired because of those 2 and neither is Likens. There is a big reason why Rambo was brought in and it aint for him to sit behind Wiggins. And Pope will have to fight off X for his job.

Not sure what you mean by Team Speed bro but remember we went 8-3 last year and we didnt lose 3 games because we were slow. Clemson and UNC were just plain better and unfortunately Okie State we came out flat and just couldnt recover.

KR/PR game is useless period now in football because of the rules change. I dont see many PR and KR for TDs in the sport anymore. But I get your overall point. Fair point.

Last but not least, Manny...he is betting on himself. Gotta respect that. He is basically saying that with Lashlee running the offense and him running the defense...UM will be a force. His DC record at UM speaks for itself. People want to give him astericks and say his scheme is for clowns and the stats are an illusion because of the scheme but the reality is he has results to back up his claim that he can be an elite DC. AND now he has Bob Shoop, Simpson and T-Rob having his back. And he has the deepest UM team in over a decade. Last year he passed the test of beating the teams he is DEFINITELY supposed to beat. Posters dont like to talk about that but give the man his due when warranted if we are going to kill him when he phucks up.. We would have beaten Okie State if we had WRs who could catch the ball. And UNC and Clemson were both 50/50 games at the time. We have one 50/50 game this season. UNC. (I am counting Bama has a 75/25 game) We will be favored in 10 games this season. Time for him to put up or shut up.

10-2/11-1. (regular season) No excuses. Get it done.
I'm going to keep it simple. Show me the wins. Win the coastal. Contend well against Clemson in the conference title game and show the world we belong. Do that and all will be singing your praises, myself included. It is not complicated. Otherwise it's time to pack the bags.

Last edited:
Advertisement
What defense shuts down “real teams”?
The "Mannys defense never works against real teams" narrative is always fun to see around here. When Manny was the DC, we rarely were ran out of the building on D...Everyone has their bad days. People expect to see the 1989 and 1991 UM Defense again and those days are long gone in college football.

What defense shuts down “real teams”?
Let's take Louisville for example.

Comes down to King having a career night against them because the defense couldn't figure it out. Louisville scored 34.

Clemson held them to 21.
Notre Dame held them to 17 then 7.
Virginia held them to 17.

That's shutting down a real offense.

Until we stop hanging around with average ACC teams, we're not going anywhere.

Stop being pedantic. You know what the issues are.

Advertisement
Back