Year 3

Alot of posters on here like to re-write history or better yet tear pages out of the history books that you want people to just forget about. You can hate Manny as a HC all you want and even call him a clown/corny coach but one thing that guy can do is coach defense. Those 2017 and 2018 defenses were absolutely dominant for the better part of the respective seasons and people will forget about them because we didnt end either season well..but we didnt have bad seasons because of that unit. Especially in 2018.

I trust him to get this defense back on track (especially with Bob Shoop being his hitman) until he proves otherwise.
most important two words ? BOB SHOOP

Advertisement
(Long reply)

People correlate a great defense with causing havoc and thats just not true. Bama has had some of the best defensive units year in and out over the last 10 years and I will bet money they havent had more than 1-2 guys who had more than 8-10 sacks in a season. MAYBE Courtney Upshaw and Quinton Williams. Their defensive scheme isnt reliant on havoc. Its playing sound and assignment football AND stopping the run at all costs.

I think Manny has the DL to do this type of scheme even if he cant create the usual havoc he likes.. A DT rotation of Ford, Nesta, Miller and JHH should absolutely be stout against the run this season. Ford, as much as people have given up on him, looked like a man on a mission this Spring. You stop the run and I like our chances against anyone with the secondary we have. (and I have been on the record in saying this could be the best secondary we have had since 2005. I think they can be that great) I have also said many times I think this will be the most underrated DL we have had here ever when the dust settles at the end of this season.. I like what we have in the room. No babies in this room. All full grown men.

If this OL cant get it done than I dont think we will have an OL that does for years. A rotation of Zion-Rivers-Gaynor-ND-Williams/Scaife is probably on paper the best OL we have had since the Golden era when we had Seantrel, Linder, Feliciano and McDerm. Every mock draft has Zion going in the first round. (not saying I agree but it is what it is) Every poster on here has said ND is NFL ready. And Williams/Scaife both are solid OTs. Rivers was a big time recruit. So fine, Gaynor isnt a stud, but lets see how he does this season. If they can just not get bytched against Bama and hold their own..confidence wise they will know they can hang with any DL on the schedule and become a force as the season goes on.

Mallory will be just as good as Brevin and I think most people will agree on that. I think he shocks people. I think Likens and Manny have made it clear they are ready to move on from Pope and Wiggins. I know posters have PTSD when it comes to that but Manny isnt getting fired because of those 2 and neither is Likens. There is a big reason why Rambo was brought in and it aint for him to sit behind Wiggins. And Pope will have to fight off X for his job.

Not sure what you mean by Team Speed bro but remember we went 8-3 last year and we didnt lose 3 games because we were slow. Clemson and UNC were just plain better and unfortunately Okie State we came out flat and just couldnt recover.

KR/PR game is useless period now in football because of the rules change. I dont see many PR and KR for TDs in the sport anymore. But I get your overall point. Fair point.

Last but not least, Manny...he is betting on himself. Gotta respect that. He is basically saying that with Lashlee running the offense and him running the defense...UM will be a force. His DC record at UM speaks for itself. People want to give him astericks and say his scheme is for clowns and the stats are an illusion because of the scheme but the reality is he has results to back up his claim that he can be an elite DC. AND now he has Bob Shoop, Simpson and T-Rob having his back. And he has the deepest UM team in over a decade. Last year he passed the test of beating the teams he is DEFINITELY supposed to beat. Posters dont like to talk about that but give the man his due when warranted if we are going to kill him when he phucks up.. We would have beaten Okie State if we had WRs who could catch the ball. And UNC and Clemson were both 50/50 games at the time. We have one 50/50 game this season. UNC. (I am counting Bama has a 75/25 game) We will be favored in 10 games this season. Time for him to put up or shut up.

10-2/11-1. (regular season) No excuses. Get it done.
Nice response and I agree on your Bama premise but that isn’t Manny’s defense. Maybe there will be tweaks with Shoop on board, which I hope is the case.

In regards to the O-Line, I know we have pieces but can they be a unit that communicates and picks up the stunts. I recall Clemson and VT specifically putting pressure on King in the passing game by doing the same stunt or delayed blitz. Gaynor and Williams have no excuse, they need to be consistently better as veteran as they are. Scaife is dead to me. I am excited for Rivers. What Donaldson are we getting?

I’ll believe it when I see it Pope/Wiggins wise but I hope you’re right.

I’ll be right here to applaud Manny if 10-2 or 11-1 happen

With the exception that Mallory as a sophomore had the worst drop rate in the country among all pass catchers and Jordan didn't?

Until proven otherwise, Mallory is not all that. And if there's not much difference between Mallory and Jordan, and Jordan is gone, who's the next Mallory on the roster?
Jordan didn’t qualify for the metric because well.. he wasn’t available. To this point pure talent not much of a difference. And arroyo TO ME from what I’ve seen is better than either so wash

Advertisement
I just hope Manny's 3rd year isn't the same as Cristobals 3rd year at Oregon

Imagine we lost to two winless teams this year?

Advertisement
Im expecting a total $hitshow versus bammer. But what happens after that?

Imho its beginning to look like the machine is building bammers championship run for this year by adjusting and readjusting and then correcting our ranking.

You really underestimate the lack of having 1 LB. Every team on our schedule is gonna try to UNC Manny defense

Virginia Tech tried last year yet we held to 100 yards below their season average and beat them.

Same with Pitt who did nothing offensively.

Yet you have us losing to both?

You are looking at the whole season through UNC colored glasses.

We've always talked about Manny's scheme and its weaknesses, but you'd have to think that Bob Shoop would play a role in reducing them. Also, when we had a disruptive line, we didn't always have the best secondary. We should be a lot stronger all around this year.

Advertisement
The days of college defenses giving up 14ppg are over. Offenses are too dominant. There were no dominant defenses last year. **** even Bama and OSU gave up alot of points. This isnt 1991 anymore. People dont use ppg to gauge whether a defense is great or not. The problem during his era wasnt the defense and every poster knew it. It was absolutely the offense. Again, posters trying to rewrite history and not admit that the offense was absolutely horrible under Richt at times and the defense was always in $hitty situations.
This is the last line I typed in my message which you clearly did not read.

The problem is fans like you who forget these abysmal defensive performances because the offense was non-existent.

I know the offenses sucked. Its not an outright excuse for the defense to be unprepared which they are week in, week out.

I don't see how people like you cant see that the defense has gotten progressively worse over the 5 seasons that Manny has has been in charge of the defense. I don't care that the Offense sucks. Linebackers don't know what planet they're on. Georgia Techs overweight punter throwing TD's over our clueless DBs, UNC setting NCAAF RECORDS, FIU......

We've always talked about Manny's scheme and its weaknesses, but you'd have to think that Bob Shoop would play a role in reducing them. Also, when we had a disruptive line, we didn't always have the best secondary. We should be a lot stronger all around this year.
This is the hope. Until proven otherwise, we cant assume that Manny is going to let Bob Shoop make any changes to his own beloved scheme.

I want to see it but knowing Mannys history, he isnt going to change. Its how Mack Brown knew how to run over the defense last year. Its been the same scheme for years.

Advertisement
This is the hope. Until proven otherwise, we cant assume that Manny is going to let Bob Shoop make any changes to his own beloved scheme.

I want to see it but knowing Mannys history, he isnt going to change. Its how Mack Brown knew how to run over the defense last year. Its been the same scheme for years.
People say that Manny doesn't like to change, but he's shown otherwise with his personnel. I'd also expect if the main reason Shoop is an analyst is to collect his Michigan payout, then the defense will be more like his style.

You keep saying its Manny D and his scheme..but you fail to name a game when Manny was the DC that another team ran for 600 yards against us..I remember VERY few games during his tenure where our defense was absolutely man-handled for 4 quarters... Ill give you Clemson in the ACC title game and ill give you Wisconsin. But to place zero blame on Blake Bakers inability to call plays and adjust mid-game is unfair. There is a reason why Baker didnt get another DC job and was demoted to LB coach at LSU. Hes not a great playcaller at this level of P5 ball. At least not now.

This is all a moot argument. The results will speak for themselves very soon when the season starts. Im betting on Manny, and clearly you are not. Ill bookmark this argument for a later time.

People say that Manny doesn't like to change, but he's shown otherwise with his personnel. I'd also expect if the main reason Shoop is an analyst is to collect his Michigan payout, then the defense will be more like his style.
Let's hope that's the case with Shoop...

This is the last line I typed in my message which you clearly did not read.

I know the offenses sucked. Its not an outright excuse for the defense to be unprepared which they are week in, week out.

I don't see how people like you cant see that the defense has gotten progressively worse over the 5 seasons that Manny has has been in charge of the defense. I don't care that the Offense sucks. Linebackers don't know what planet they're on. Georgia Techs overweight punter throwing TD's over our clueless DBs, UNC setting NCAAF RECORDS, FIU......

Is that why in 2018, Manny’s third season we had a defense that was #1 in third down defense, led the country or were in the Top 5 in almost every single defensive statistic?

It’s baffling how idiotic people sometimes look

Advertisement
Back