Year 3

Personally, I would rather schedule a Nebraska or an Indiana or an Oregon State type program and get the win. This team could easily win 11 games or more, but getting blown out by the one team in the country that could blow them out (Maybe along with Ohio State) could easily derail the season before it could start

If it was the 7th or 8th game on the schedule I might agree but playing Bama in the first game should do wonders for offseason motivation. I would be going hard as **** in the offseason.

Advertisement
I will be cautiously thrilled if we have a successful season this year. Not expecting it to happen.

I've got my pitchforks well warmed up and ready for
130208132845-blake-james-single-image-cutjpg.jpg

and

GettyImages-1186609931.jpg

Outside of losing Phillips I think we actually improve the talent with TS. We also upgraded the coaching a good bit with Simpson and TRob. Curious as to why you think they well regress considering last year was sub standard
The main reason would be that Manny is calling the defense. His scheme is just not fundamentally sound.

There's nothing at linebacker, and even when he had quarterman and Pinckney (his most talented linebackers, they still were not utilized well).

A stryker (who is an undersized linebacker) and 1 clueless WLB is not going to be able to hold up to Alabama.

The defensive backs should improve outright. However, will there be clear cut starters or is gonna be a rotating circus like we've seen? There are too many players who shouldn't be playing but still will.

The defensive line is still a question. Will any of the tackles emerge and make an impact? Is Harvey good enough to replace Roche? Is McCloud going to get meaningful reps?

Manny is not a real football coach. He'd be a textbook, modern-era perfect director of football ops guy. He always wins the offseason and everything off the field.

Anything on the field he's responsible for is a joke. FIU, LA TECH, UNC....

That's why I'm pessimistic about the defense.

I still think seniority and favoritism will be be seen and felt on the offense. (WR, RB), but Lashlee is an actual coach and I'd say he's actually pretty good.

The main reason would be that Manny is calling the defense. His scheme is just not fundamentally sound.

There's nothing at linebacker, and even when he had quarterman and Pinckney (his most talented linebackers, they still were not utilized well).

A stryker (who is an undersized linebacker) and 1 clueless WLB is not going to be able to hold up to Alabama.

The defensive backs should improve outright. However, will there be clear cut starters or is gonna be a rotating circus like we've seen? There are too many players who shouldn't be playing but still will.

The defensive line is still a question. Will any of the tackles emerge and make an impact? Is Harvey good enough to replace Roche? Is McCloud going to get meaningful reps?

Manny is not a real football coach. He'd be a textbook, modern-era perfect director of football ops guy. He always wins the offseason and everything off the field.

I still think seniority and favoritism will be be seen and felt on the offense. (WR, RB), but Lashlee is an actual coach and I'd say he's actually pretty good.

Lmao.

Advertisement

schitts creek lol GIF by CBC

TE is the exact same as last year. Not much difference in Mallory and Jordan

With the exception that Mallory as a sophomore had the worst drop rate in the country among all pass catchers and Jordan didn't?

Until proven otherwise, Mallory is not all that. And if there's not much difference between Mallory and Jordan, and Jordan is gone, who's the next Mallory on the roster?

Advertisement

Alot of posters on here like to re-write history or better yet tear pages out of the history books that you want people to just forget about. You can hate Manny as a HC all you want and even call him a clown/corny coach but one thing that guy can do is coach defense. Those 2017 and 2018 defenses were absolutely dominant for the better part of the respective seasons and people will forget about them because we didnt end either season well..but we didnt have bad seasons because of that unit. Especially in 2018.

I trust him to get this defense back on track (especially with Bob Shoop being his hitman) until he proves otherwise.

I don't expect it, No.

Defensively, I don't see the improvement outside of the secondary maybe and thats a big maybe. D-Line I don't see players who can cause havoc outside of JHH who flashes. I hope Johnson can deliver but Nesta, Miller, etc just don't do it for me. They are not McIntosh, Willis and Norton level. LB has been discussed already.

Offensively, that O-Line still does not give me confidence. Are we going to be force fed WIGGINS and POPE again? Can Mallory take that next step? RB not a worry. How good will King be with the injury and has he improved with accuracy and downfield throws?

Team speed? We have looked so slow for years upon years and I am not sure that it has improved all that much.

Kick/Punt Returning has been rendered useless. We might as well just fair catch everything. No TD all year last year. I can't even recall one that was called back. Our longest on either is 38 and 20 yards lol

And there is Manny. The guy at the head of the show. I don't believe in him as a game-planning, beat the teams you have more talent than coach.

I would love to be wrong but I just don't see how ppl are calling for or expecting 10 or 11 win seasons.
(Long reply)

People correlate a great defense with causing havoc and thats just not true. Bama has had some of the best defensive units year in and out over the last 10 years and I will bet money they havent had more than 1-2 guys who had more than 8-10 sacks in a season. MAYBE Courtney Upshaw and Quinton Williams. Their defensive scheme isnt reliant on havoc. Its playing sound and assignment football AND stopping the run at all costs.

I think Manny has the DL to do this type of scheme even if he cant create the usual havoc he likes.. A DT rotation of Ford, Nesta, Miller and JHH should absolutely be stout against the run this season. Ford, as much as people have given up on him, looked like a man on a mission this Spring. You stop the run and I like our chances against anyone with the secondary we have. (and I have been on the record in saying this could be the best secondary we have had since 2005. I think they can be that great) I have also said many times I think this will be the most underrated DL we have had here ever when the dust settles at the end of this season.. I like what we have in the room. No babies in this room. All full grown men.

If this OL cant get it done than I dont think we will have an OL that does for years. A rotation of Zion-Rivers-Gaynor-ND-Williams/Scaife is probably on paper the best OL we have had since the Golden era when we had Seantrel, Linder, Feliciano and McDerm. Every mock draft has Zion going in the first round. (not saying I agree but it is what it is) Every poster on here has said ND is NFL ready. And Williams/Scaife both are solid OTs. Rivers was a big time recruit. So fine, Gaynor isnt a stud, but lets see how he does this season. If they can just not get bytched against Bama and hold their own..confidence wise they will know they can hang with any DL on the schedule and become a force as the season goes on.

Mallory will be just as good as Brevin and I think most people will agree on that. I think he shocks people. I think Likens and Manny have made it clear they are ready to move on from Pope and Wiggins. I know posters have PTSD when it comes to that but Manny isnt getting fired because of those 2 and neither is Likens. There is a big reason why Rambo was brought in and it aint for him to sit behind Wiggins. And Pope will have to fight off X for his job.

Not sure what you mean by Team Speed bro but remember we went 8-3 last year and we didnt lose 3 games because we were slow. Clemson and UNC were just plain better and unfortunately Okie State we came out flat and just couldnt recover.

KR/PR game is useless period now in football because of the rules change. I dont see many PR and KR for TDs in the sport anymore. But I get your overall point. Fair point.

Last but not least, Manny...he is betting on himself. Gotta respect that. He is basically saying that with Lashlee running the offense and him running the defense...UM will be a force. His DC record at UM speaks for itself. People want to give him astericks and say his scheme is for clowns and the stats are an illusion because of the scheme but the reality is he has results to back up his claim that he can be an elite DC. AND now he has Bob Shoop, Simpson and T-Rob having his back. And he has the deepest UM team in over a decade. Last year he passed the test of beating the teams he is DEFINITELY supposed to beat. Posters dont like to talk about that but give the man his due when warranted if we are going to kill him when he phucks up.. We would have beaten Okie State if we had WRs who could catch the ball. And UNC and Clemson were both 50/50 games at the time. We have one 50/50 game this season. UNC. (I am counting Bama has a 75/25 game) We will be favored in 10 games this season. Time for him to put up or shut up.

10-2/11-1. (regular season) No excuses. Get it done.

Alot of posters on here like to re-write history or better yet tear pages out of the history books that you want people to just forget about. You can hate Manny as a HC all you want and even call him a clown/corny coach but one thing that guy can do is coach defense. Those 2017 and 2018 defenses were absolutely dominant for the better part of the respective seasons and people will forget about them because we didnt end either season well..but we didnt have bad seasons because of that unit. Especially in 2018.

I trust him to get this defense back on track (especially with Bob Shoop being his hitman) until he proves otherwise.
Here's some pages from those history books:

In 2017, we won but mannys vaunted defense gave up 30 points to Toledo.
We got destroyed by Clemson 38-3, who took their foot off the gas and coasted after halftime.
Then miami lost to Wisconsin in the Orange Bowl by letting Hornibrook throw 4 touchdowns.

In 2018, they started off by letting LSU score 33 points. They stopped playing after the third quarter. Giving up 27 to both Boston College and GT. Losing to Duke. Then getting thrashed by Wisconsin 35-3.

The problem is fans like you who forget these abysmal defensive performances because the offense was non-existent.

Advertisement

We got destroyed by Clemson 38-3, who took their foot off the gas and coasted after halftime.
Then miami lost to Wisconsin in the Orange Bowl by letting Hornibrook throw 4 touchdowns.

In 2018, they started off by letting LSU score 33 points. They stopped playing after the third quarter. Giving up 27 to both Boston College and GT. Losing to Duke. Then getting thrashed by Wisconsin 35-3.

The problem is fans like you who forget these abysmal defensive performances because the offense was non-existent.

Imagine a defense “struggling” when the offensive side of the ball does nothing for 60 minutes week after week after week.

Advertisement

The days of college defenses giving up 14ppg are over. Offenses are too dominant. There were no dominant defenses last year. **** even Bama and OSU gave up alot of points. This isnt 1991 anymore. People dont use ppg to gauge whether a defense is great or not. The problem during his era wasnt the defense and every poster knew it. It was absolutely the offense. Again, posters trying to rewrite history and not admit that the offense was absolutely horrible under Richt at times and the defense was always in $hitty situations.

Agree 100%

Some here tend to forget that Baker was locked in to running Manny outdated scheme. Baker was not the major problem

This has and will continue to be Manny's defense until he finally grants autonomy to the DC to update the defensive scheme to meet current offenses.

Until then, we'll continue to suffer defensively.

My straight-forward opinion is unchanged; I appreciate all of Manny's efforts to improve us.....but I feel it's inevitable that we'll find out he's simply just NOT up to the job.

I'd love to be proven dead wrong ....and as a long time Cane fan, I sincerely hope that I will....but I feel this year we'll continue underperforming.

So PLEASE Manny ....PLEASE surprise me, because as usual, I wanna win now

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back