Year 3

Advertisement
Corps

I think the offense will improve and the defense will regress.

The light is not going to come on in Mannys head. It's year 6 of his defense, and still relying on transfers and have no linebackers. Still getting steamrolled by UNC.
Transfer was the best players on the team , so you can’t complain about the portal.

Talent is upgraded at every position except DE and maybe TE. The biggest question for the season will be if Diaz can get this team prepared and hungry. We can't continue to start games flat, especially after bye weeks.
TE is the exact same as last year. Not much difference in Mallory and Jordan

Advertisement
Advertisement
The only difference between 2020 and 2021 is King, Manny continues to be coach a fundamental mess in Coral Gables. Spring game had a ton of penalties
Ok, but how does that translate into a worse record?

Alright folks ..year 3 of the Diaz HC era is almost upon us. As some might recall, year 3 is very telling for good or for worse. Most good coaches see a big leap in their 3rd year.

Will we see a better team this fall? Will we see a team that puts all 3 phases together?

Some positives that bode well:

-Year 3 of the S&C Program
-Everyone back on offense including the offensive staff minus Brevin
-Removing Blake Baker
-Tattoed Lou

Weak spots:

-unproven kicker
- LB core
- losing Phillips
- OL is still a ?
-WR core minus Harley

What y’all think?

Year 3 is everything. I made a post on this. Plus this is year 6 w/ Manny being w/ the program. Year 3, 9/10 gives an indication of where we’re at w/ a coach. Every now & then, we’ll see yr 4 as a leap, but typically & generally it’s yr 3.

Alright folks ..year 3 of the Diaz HC era is almost upon us. As some might recall, year 3 is very telling for good or for worse. Most good coaches see a big leap in their 3rd year.

Will we see a better team this fall? Will we see a team that puts all 3 phases together?

Some positives that bode well:

-Year 3 of the S&C Program
-Everyone back on offense including the offensive staff minus Brevin
-Removing Blake Baker
-Tattoed Lou

Weak spots:

-unproven kicker
- LB core
- losing Phillips
- OL is still a ?
-WR core minus Harley

What y’all think?
I would have added “not replacing Blake Baker” to the weak spots, JMO.

Advertisement
Ok, but how does that translate into a worse record?
I’m not predicting it will happen at all but no one thought we would suck in 2018 and 2019. If we lose early and lose our confidence due to that or some injuries, I could see things snowballing and have the potential to lose to bama, MSU, Virginia, UNC, Pitt, FSU (rivalry), and the bowl game, VT and NCsU are also out there. I see 8.5 wins as our over under

Advertisement
I’m not predicting it will happen at all but no one thought we would suck in 2018 and 2019. If we lose early and lose our confidence due to that or some injuries, I could see things snowballing and have the potential to lose to bama, MSU, Virginia, UNC, Pitt, FSU (rivalry), and the bowl game, VT and NCsU are also out there. I see 8.5 wins as our over under
Nobody's saying it can't happen. We have seen it before, but we all knew that 10-0 in 2017 was a house of cards. There were glaring weaknesses that weren't getting addressed. Basing a 7 loss season on nothing more than the fact that it's happened before is just unreasonable.

If Manny can't get 10/11 wins this season, then he never will. He's got **** near every single ingredient in place that a coach would want: a veteran team on both sides of the ball, a good staff, a good QB, tons of offensive weapons, a good kicking game, good depth, and only a few holes (mainly at LB).

No coach can check all the boxes heading into a new season, but given what Manny will have to work with and all the cards in his favor I'm expecting 11-1 or at a very bare minimum 10-2 with that 2nd loss being a hard fought 3 point or less loss that could have gone either way.

Nothing less is acceptable.

The only problem is Alabama. Some people like scheduling the best and some people don't. Personally, I would rather schedule a Nebraska or an Indiana or an Oregon State type program and get the win. This team could easily win 11 games or more, but getting blown out by the one team in the country that could blow them out (Maybe along with Ohio State) could easily derail the season before it could start

You don’t think we improve at all?
I don't expect it, No.

Defensively, I don't see the improvement outside of the secondary maybe and thats a big maybe. D-Line I don't see players who can cause havoc outside of JHH who flashes. I hope Johnson can deliver but Nesta, Miller, etc just don't do it for me. They are not McIntosh, Willis and Norton level. LB has been discussed already.

Offensively, that O-Line still does not give me confidence. Are we going to be force fed WIGGINS and POPE again? Can Mallory take that next step? RB not a worry. How good will King be with the injury and has he improved with accuracy and downfield throws?

Team speed? We have looked so slow for years upon years and I am not sure that it has improved all that much.

Kick/Punt Returning has been rendered useless. We might as well just fair catch everything. No TD all year last year. I can't even recall one that was called back. Our longest on either is 38 and 20 yards lol

And there is Manny. The guy at the head of the show. I don't believe in him as a game-planning, beat the teams you have more talent than coach.

I would love to be wrong but I just don't see how ppl are calling for or expecting 10 or 11 win seasons.

Advertisement
Back