Year 3

Advertisement
Honestly wonder how much of the struggles at LB/defense were the result of Baker. He just seemed kind of lifeless and there. I like that we have more experience with the LB's who have speed, but was really hoping we'd pick up a veteran MLB in the portal. The DL will be fine. Ford is a monster, Nesta has plenty of experience and we've never had an issue at DE under Diaz. Combine that with Simpson coming back and I think they'll surprise people.
When you think about it, Baker is now the LB coach at LSU. Any correlation?

Didn’t Brooks deal with a foot injury all last year? I saw where he’s up to 230. Flagg might surprise us. Maybe the light comes on for TAC. Ish might be a bit overlooked.

The LB room isn’t full of JAG’s. We’ve got some talent at LB, just hope a few step up their game.

When you think about it, Baker is now the LB coach at LSU. Any correlation?

Didn’t Brooks deal with a foot injury all last year? I saw where he’s up to 230. Flagg might surprise us. Maybe the light comes on for TAC. Ish might be a bit overlooked.

The LB room isn’t full of JAG’s. We’ve got some talent at LB, just hope a few step up their game.

Correlation to what?

Don't know about Brooks being injured but if he takes a big step up it'll be really good. I'm high on him.

Happy with the emphasis Manny has placed on speed at LB. Give me Sean Spence/Jermaine Grace type guys all day.

I dunno about all that but what i wanna see is 11 wins including ACCCG/bowl/playoffs. That's the benchmark for me. I dont care how Diaz gets there, whether we go 11-1 in the regular season but fizzle out in the ACCCG/bowl game and finish 11-3, or whether we go 9-3 in the regular season and backdoor our way into the ACCCG, upset Clemson, and win the bowl game to finish 11-3.

But we need progress. Going from 6 wins to 8 wins to 11 wins is real definable and meaningful progress that Diaz can hang his hat on.

Advertisement
Corps

I think the offense will improve and the defense will regress.

The light is not going to come on in Mannys head. It's year 6 of his defense, and still relying on transfers and have no linebackers. Still getting steamrolled by UNC.
Manny has been DC for three games against UNC. They gave up 20, 19 and 10 points in those three games.

ST malfunctions, some bad 3rd down conversations, some stagnated frustrating offense...all 3 phases do not come to together. Marking down 9 wins, 10 is my optimistic side.

I hate winning games when Miami is the less disciplined team in terms of penalties, alignments, understanding their own playcall, etc. Team needs to improve there.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Some positives that bode well:

-Year 3 of the S&C Program
-Everyone back on offense including the offensive staff minus Brevin
-Removing Blake Baker
-Tattoed Lou

Weak spots:

-unproven kicker
- LB core
- losing Phillips
- OL is still a ?
-WR core minus Harley

What y’all think?
Regarding positives:

- I think S&C made massive strides compared to last year, considering the situation that we were in at times. Players had a full offseason to hit the weights and based on reports, it looks like a lot of them have made some really nice strides moving forward, with Stevenson, Restrepo and Williams breaking records. The trenches will tell the story tho, but I have a good feeling that we will have good trench play throughout the season.

- Thats obviously a positive, chemistry in this offense is important, especially with the tempo. Given that Lashlees offenses usually made massive strides from Year 1 to Year 2, with SMU being the obvious example, I cant wait to see what we look like offensively.

- I dont think I have to point out how massive the change at DC is. I get that not everyone is very fond of Manny, but he is 2500x the DC that Baker was. Combined with the best DB coach in the country teaching bump-and-run and having an elite D-Line coach should put this unit back to where its supposed to be. If Bolden and Avantae play safety and they have some 3-deep strategies like Iowa State (which we can easily run imo) and we have a Tite front just as a mix up, this could be a fun defense to watch moving forward.

- Love me a tattooed Aussie.

Regarding negatives:

- This could be an issue early on, but Borregales has looked good and Hedley is an excellent holder. This isnt a Baxa situation, thankfully.

- I predict us not even playing with linebackers that much. Cribby pointed out that Miami wanted to get faster at that position and have more speed in the second level, which is why guys like Carter and Keontra were moved to striker. Playing with gap integrity should help and having edge defenders not going vertical on counters all the time should help too. The talent is there imo, we just have to hope that guys like Flagg, Huff and the young players show enough instincts to make fundamentally good plays. If this LB group plays acceptable, Patke has done a nice job.

- Losing a guy like that obviously hurts. We likely wont have a single player ready to fill these shoes, so we need everyone to step it up a level. Fun fact that I found interesting: Miami has currently only three players listed as Defensive Ends (Deandre Johnson, Jabari Ishmael, Thomas Davis), all of the other guys are listed as Defensive Line. Maybe they were just too lazy or the list needs an update, but just as an FYI.

- OL should be helped more by having better yardage on first down. We had waaaaaay too many plays go for 0 or for negative yards on first down. We countered that with some really good success on third down, but that was so good, it will probably regress this season. First down dictates second and third down, so we need to step it up there. It helps the QB, it makes pass rush slower because situations become more flexible and your O-Line can get some momentum going. Cant be stuck in 3rd and 7+, or it becomes a free for all. Talent wise, this unit is much better this season compared to last season, given we dont have to start Traore or Clark and have Donaldson and Rivers instead. Dont get me started on Gaynor tho.

- WR core minus Harley... Rambo is an obvious upgrade to #6 and #8, who both should not see the field on the outside. You can move Pope into the slot and pray that he catches a pass or two, but Wiggins should not be WR#4 unless he plays FSU. Redding doesnt look too good rn, I dont know whats up with Payton and I dont think Brashard, George or Brinson are ready yet. You have K Smith and Rambo on the outside, Harley inside and Mallory as your TE. Should be good enough to toast most of the schedule.

I have a constant negative feeling about this season, specifically that if we get blown out by Bama, a couple key players get injured, we turn around and lose the next week App State and the season takes a death spiral after that.

I’m always assuming the worst possible outcome when it comes to the Canes, and I constantly think about this season being some sort of nightmare.
Dont Put That Evil On Me Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Advertisement
Biggest thing I want to see this year is a difference in game day coaching. From having the team prepared right from jump to not having to wait until after half time to start making in game adjustments, to having players held accountable for committing inexcusably stupid penalties at crucial times.

We do that, we should go at worst 10-2 and get a good bowl game. Do that and I will feel a lot better about Manny as that's really my biggest gripe with him currently.

Biggest thing I want to see this year is a difference in game day coaching. From having the team prepared right from jump to not having to wait until after half time to start making in game adjustments, to having players held accountable for committing inexcusably stupid penalties at crucial times.

We do that, we should go at worst 10-2 and get a good bowl game. Do that and I will feel a lot better about Manny as that's really my biggest gripe with him currently.

The penalties have been killers the last few years.

Advertisement
Alright folks ..year 3 of the Diaz HC era is almost upon us. As some might recall, year 3 is very telling for good or for worse. Most good coaches see a big leap in their 3rd year.

Will we see a better team this fall? Will we see a team that puts all 3 phases together?

Some positives that bode well:

-Year 3 of the S&C Program
-Everyone back on offense including the offensive staff minus Brevin
-Removing Blake Baker
-Tattoed Lou

Weak spots:

-unproven kicker
- LB core
- losing Phillips
- OL is still a ?
-WR core minus Harley

What y’all think?
Any good coach with our schedule should go 11-1. The only acceptable loss is bama. A good coach goes on the road and beats good teams. We return everyone plus tyreke, Johnson and Rambo so that’s basically 22 starters even though I guess Rambo was not one. Secondary should be a strength as should def tackles .: we should be ok at de although a drop off .. linebackers can’t be worse.

offensively we should be able to light up the scoreboard and I do expect our best oline in many years both from starters as well as backups

LB scares me the most. DE depth is not good, all unproven besides Johnson. Oline I feel better about but still gotta see it to believe it. Rest of the roster I feel good about.

Advertisement
Back