Y’all sleeping on pope

Advertisement
I feel that there is a lot of deflection in this thread. Pope and Wiggins have been getting open all year and were in position for huge chunk plays that would’ve given us a win last night. They simply can't consistently catch the ball. Harley was dropping balls throughout his career and early this season. The only difference is he actually started making plays and all of us took notice. Had Pope and Wiggins did the same thing we would be praising their improvement.
People want to blame Manny but the players were put in a position to win us the game, Pope and Wiggins didn't execute.
Going forward, Redding, X, K. Smith, B. Smith, George, and Brinson will take these spots.
How quick people forget that Redding and K. Smith were out with covid for about 3 games down the stretch. Let's not over think this, they are true freshman that missed valuable time while guys like Pope and Wiggins were making big plays against NC St and Vtech.

Gotta disagree w u.
The fact is, this issue of playing time has been an issue of discussion for 3 yrs now. This is not some new narrative. The favoritism narrative was first leaked back in 2018. The locker room fallout, the ? as to how one player is starting over another player or how player x can’t see the field despite the off season camps.....bruh, we’ve been talking about this.

U’re O&G glasses are on, assuming or thinking new guys are going to come through & earn spots, when it’s been obvious, spots have not been earned on this team, brody.

Furthermore; can we (not u, in particular), but can we stop using the true freshman excuse? We just saw a true freshman roast us today. True freshmen are playing & playing well, in some cases dominating across America. It feels like we’re the only team that have this problem.

Gotta disagree w u.
The fact is, this issue of playing time has been an issue of discussion for 3 yrs now. This is not some new narrative. The favoritism narrative was first leaked back in 2018. The locker room fallout, the ? as to how one player is starting over another player or how player x can’t see the field despite the off season camps.....bruh, we’ve been talking about this.

U’re O&G glasses are on, assuming or thinking new guys are going to come through & earn spots, when it’s been obvious, spots have not been earned on this team, brody.

Furthermore; can we (not u, in particular), but can we stop using the true freshman excuse? We just saw a true freshman roast us today. True freshmen are playing & playing well, in some cases dominating across America. It feels like we’re the only team that have this problem.
Great points and yes true freshman can definitely make an impact. The guy last night had 1 catch on the year and looked like an All American against us. But exactly my point, he had 1 catch on the year. My whole point was to put blame on the guys who are on scholarship that dropped easy game changing passes. Favoritism is definitely an issue too, but last nights loss falls on lack of execution.

Advertisement
this. Doesn’t matter how much influence cooney wields. At a certain point, 6/8 start costing games. That’s when Rhett/manny will notice.

Hopefully
Start costing us games? They've been doing this all year, and last year as well. If they haven't noticed what Stevie Wonder or Ray Charles can see, we're beyond ***ed.

Season 5 Hug GIF by The Office

Advertisement
Cooney was only hired because of his "connections" in South Florida. Manny believed he was a guy who could help get recruits cause he himself (or his staff) have no (1) connections or (2) people skills to develop any. (DVD is actually our best recruiter I hear)
Pope and Wiggins were the "prizes" from Southridge aka Cooney's boys. Therefore they get a longer leash than most players.

This isn't actually unbelievable to some of you, is it?
Cause in the world of football politics this type of **** is completely fathomable.

Yall don't ACTUALLY think we play the best players, do yall?
Cooney and DVD are likely our best guys when it comes to recruiting along with Banda.
This happens EVERYWHERE. Even at the big name programs yall love. Favortism is a thing. Though a game like last night finally breaks the camels back as they cant hide it anymore that those guys just arent legit starters. They can go to the "lab"..live off of pass 7 on 7 exploits..have that bum 7 on 7 coach hype em on twitter all they want...that sh*t is dead starting this spring. I honestly..honestly think Marshall Few wouldve been better than those two last night at catching the ball. Let alone guys like Keyshawn Smith/Redding/restrepo. Cam Harris has better hands than they do

It’s obvious that tor some reason they haven’t gotten pulled.
But wtf does cooney have on Manny that he ain’t allowing him to bench those dudes that are not only costing us games but are not allowing the proper in game development of the younger receivers?
I dont think Cooney has that type of pull...where he can say dont bench em. I just think the staff has a deferment to veterans issue..regardless of talent level or skill. We see it at other positions as well. They would rather just die on the upperclassmen sword. Cooney is basically an assistant wr coach/recruitment guy. He can put a word in here or there..but it ultimately falls on the position coach/oc then the headman. Who is Manny and who seems to not be a tough guy type...like at all.

Just like the issue with our cb coach,etc...im blaming the head coach at this point. He has the end decision.

Cooney and DVD are likely our best guys when it comes to recruiting along with Banda.
This happens EVERYWHERE. Even at the big name programs yall love. Favortism is a thing. Though a game like last night finally breaks the camels back as they cant hide it anymore that those guys just arent legit starters. They can go to the "lab"..live off of pass 7 on 7 exploits..have that bum 7 on 7 coach hype em on twitter all they want...that sh*t is dead starting this spring. I honestly..honestly think Marshall Few wouldve been better than those two last night at catching the ball. Let alone guys like Keyshawn Smith/Redding/restrepo. Cam Harris has better hands than they do
Great point gogeta4 about last night breaking the camels back.This staff has been getting away with it all year with all 3 Wiggins,Pope and even Harley dropping passes and punts every game but a game like last night was on steroids.They can't defend starting these guys anymore just like Diaz lost all leverage he had with Blake when Carolina put 780 yds on his defense.

Great point gogeta4 about last night breaking the camels back.This staff has been getting away with it all year with all 3 Wiggins,Pope and even Harley dropping passes and punts every game but a game like last night was on steroids.They can't defend starting these guys anymore just like Diaz lost all leverage he had with Blake when Carolina put 780 yds on his defense.
Yup you can see it on social media. South florida fans arent going to go easy on them. Hence those kids close coaches (cooney brother/7 on 7 coach) trying to jump out ahead of it with there ...DONT BE A FAN LATER type talk. Atleast Cooney brother stated those guys need real work in the lab off season personal coaching" ..We might see a bit of improvemenet...but those 2 issues are/have been there all along.

1.) Pope = Confidence. Kind of hard mentally to be like what Ricky WIlliams (7 on 7 coach ) stated...as being THE MAN for a long time. Then realize well you arent really as elite as you thought. Its similar to the optomist star hitting high school and everyone else gets there growth spurt and is now on par or better. You can literally see it with him...dude wants to make a play or do something but after a drop ...its just not THERE.

2.) Wiggins is just soft. Wiggins isnt physical that much..doesnt want to be hit..doesnt want to hit the ground..nothing. The crazy thing is...he would block a bit. which is weird.

Suspect hands, lack of confidence, lack of physicality is not the way to go through life as a wr. Both guys are wr3's rotation guys...starting for us. Starting in spring with the talent level rising a bit they either put up or shut up.

Not even Likens can help them as he hasnt had enough time. Its a reason i want Curtis at wr on offense over being a cb. I want to force these 2 to the rotation any way possible.

Advertisement
The funniest play of the game was a screen to Pope where he took 5 baby steps, moved exactly 0 yards and got tackled.

Those guys don't have it, they are WRs, but can't catch, nothing is natural for them. I would love to hear a candid answer by Lashlee on why those guys were untouchable this season
THIS RIGHT HERE! Noticed the same play. Pope caught the screen pass and proceeded to try to make 7-on-7 shake and bake &hit happen and went no where. When you're playing tackle football, you get the **** ball upfield as quickly as possible. All of that fancy, ooh and ahh footwork &hit looks good in t-shirts and shorts.

Kid has some bad habits, and Wiggins is softer than my 11 year old.

Yup you can see it on social media. South florida fans arent going to go easy on them. Hence those kids close coaches (cooney brother/7 on 7 coach) trying to jump out ahead of it with there ...DONT BE A FAN LATER type talk. Atleast Cooney brother stated those guys need real work in the lab off season personal coaching" ..We might see a bit of improvemenet...but those 2 issues are/have been there all along.

1.) Pope = Confidence. Kind of hard mentally to be like what Ricky WIlliams (7 on 7 coach ) stated...as being THE MAN for a long time. Then realize well you arent really as elite as you thought. Its similar to the optomist star hitting high school and everyone else gets there growth spurt and is now on par or better. You can literally see it with him...dude wants to make a play or do something but after a drop ...its just not THERE.

2.) Wiggins is just soft. Wiggins isnt physical that much..doesnt want to be hit..doesnt want to hit the ground..nothing. The crazy thing is...he would block a bit. which is weird.

Suspect hands, lack of confidence, lack of physicality is not the way to go through life as a wr. Both guys are wr3's rotation guys...starting for us. Starting in spring with the talent level rising a bit they either put up or shut up.

Not even Likens can help them as he hasnt had enough time. Its a reason i want Curtis at wr on offense over being a cb. I want to force these 2 to the rotation any way possible.
Forgetting everything about the past 2yrs for a second

just the idea of putting Curtis at CB is a fireable offense in itself

Advertisement
kinda sucks but its either never get a SFL kid that we need or play the trash that we have. once the south ridge kids are gone, it'll be better for the entire WR room. I was hoping noodles would be noodles but hes just not it.

I have heard very good things about Garin Justice...little different recruiting OL, but he's gotten good reviews from those that I know.

Two 1st round draft picks at WR ion the same year is self explanatory. You called him trash. Explain that.
Dee Wiggins DBS
Mark Pope DBS
Didn't develop any of the freshman wide receivers at all.

Mike Harley is the only one who improved some what.

1/4 is good enough to stay in AAA baseball but this is football .250 is trash in my book.

Advertisement
Back