Xzavier Henderson Hits the Portal

Man we can't keep counting pockets. I thought we were a big boy program and willing to spend like the big boys? Gotta take risk. It's ONE freaking player man lol. I promise you we won't run out of money if we paid him lol

You way overpay for any player that doesn't command the respect of his future teammates based on their production elsewhere and you likely ruin the culture that's trying desperately to be built. Henderson would be a nice add and is needed no doubt. But not at an insane number as is rumored. Sign him up at a reasonable amount and he blends in from go and everybody pushes each other as it should be.

We can't forget that these players are for the most part recently removed from HS days. Pettiness can still easily be there. They're not seasoned NFL players that understand the game. Even then, we still see flare ups here and there from them though less likely.

Advertisement
You way overpay for any player that doesn't command the respect of his future teammates based on their production elsewhere and you likely ruin the culture that's trying desperately to be built. Henderson would be a nice add and is needed no doubt. But not at an insane number as is rumored. Sign him up at a reasonable amount and he blends in from go and everybody pushes each other as it should be.

We can't forget that these players are for the most part recently removed from HS days. Pettiness can still easily be there. They're not seasoned NFL players that understand the game. Even then, we still see flare ups here and there from them though less likely.
That's reasonable ..... I guess I just have ptsd of how we attacked (didn't attack) the portal last yr at the wr position and we see what that resulted in. Like some of y'all are literally saying the exact same thing y'all said last yr .... Not being worried, not wanting to over pay "average" players, etc.... And look at our wr room now. Still a desperate need.

I mean it’s not really strange if you think about it. Had a terrible system last year that wasn’t wr friendly. On top of that there is a perception about Mario and offense so I’m sure it’s some negative recruiting going on. He took a good step in hiring a guy like dawson but they have to produce to change the narrative
I understand this for this yr. But was this the same reason last yr why wrs didn't want to come?

I mean, we've been struggling with getting HS wrs since forever. I thought we'd at least be a tad bit better at attracting portal wrs. And we can't even do that right.

This is the crazy **** on here. So many FANS **** all over everything we got going on regardless of whether or not they have a clue if it's fact or fiction they speak on. Yet heaven forbid they simply watch what's going on. All this talk about dudes not buying in at wr yet we have a **** good one committed in Chance... These kids believe the same **** y'all do. They swear we desperate and as a result they try to bend us over a barrel. Maybe some of y'all are good with getting bent over(that wasn't an invitation you know who)but I ain't in to these games. You don't pay a kid who's coming in for one year a million plus UNLESS he's got **** good RESULTS AT THIS LEVEL... You don't promise these kids anything beyond they'll get an opportunity. If you come here and try to tell us I'm starting and if I stay healthy I want this many touches per game, guess what **** YOU & these games you're trying to play... Best case one year dudes with these types of results should be asking for 100-150k. Not 1.25,that's just ****ery
$1.25 is completely nucking futs!!! This dude trying to get that NFL contract he’s never going to get

Advertisement
I understand this for this yr. But was this the same reason last yr why wrs didn't want to come?

I mean, we've been struggling with getting HS wrs since forever. I thought we'd at least be a tad bit better at attracting portal wrs. And we can't even do that right.
We have landed some guys but for most of them they haven’t panned out. Richards the neck injury cut his career short but he was going to be a 1st round pick imo dude was elite. But you have guys like thomas, bruce (r.i.p), mullins, brinson, payton, pope, hightower who were all highly ranked that it didn’t work out for

Advertisement
How some envision NIL without thinking big picture/long term.

1683123080209.gif

I'm not necessarily buying the "they used him wrong" theory. The guy was there for three seasons under two different head coaches and two different offensive coordinators and at no time during those three years did ANYONE say "hey maybe we need to use this guy as a downfield threat"? I mean it's possible that Billy and Mullen were both just totally clueless and totally misused the guy but when you average 10.7 yards per catch under one coach and then 10.8 under another coach, with a completely different system, it may be because you're not Randy Moss.

7 players on UF averaged over 17.5 yards per catch last season. So, it's not bad QB play or an offense that only throws short passes.

Last edited:
A poster made a comment saying he felt we had several receivers as good as Henderson, to which a prominent poster replied "we do?" You were very clear in your contention that Henderson played with an extremely inaccurate qb and was misused by the Florida staff - used primarily on short routes. So if used properly what kind of production would be expected? And yes, a poster did project this: (name omitted)

"With our vertical passing game and TVD y'all really don't think this kid has 50 catches, 750 yards, and 6 TD's up his sleeve? He's not a lazy kid like Ladson." -

Point being, that the board is influenced by the opinions of particular posters who were behind this take before the apparent snag. Now he's a laughing stock.

Just read the thread. Read the first 5-6 pages and then the last few. Has the consensus changed? You'd think different players were being discussed.

Again, I just try to keep things simple. Even though I do believe that players can take steps and improve their games year-over-year, I'm not the type of person to make statistical predictions.

But it's not a shocking projection to think that a guy who JUST HAD 410 yards in 11 games off of screen passes from a 53% QB...might...JUST MIGHT...be able to get another 340 yards under an air-raid OC and a more accurate QB in 12 or 13 games...

While I don't like to pump up predictions with stats...I still don't see how that poster was coming up with some crazy idea...even as the rest of us would have been fine with 410 yards out of Henderson...

The key takeaway is this. Henderson has potential. He MIGHT be able to increase his yardage by 83%. But those things do not merit an Addison-like NIL offer. So what I don't understand is why you seem to be thinking that people should have binary opinions on Henderson. That Miami fans should either be ALL-IN on his recruitment...or else HATE the recruitment...

Why can't we have mixed feelings on Henderson? Why can't we see that he could make strides with Dawson and TVD, while also believing that he is not worth spending a ton of money on, and that there might be other guys out there who could be just as good?

That's all. I may speak strongly and firmly, but if you analyze my actual position on most issues, I'm almost always arguing for balanced and honest takes. Not extremely hot takes.

Sorry that I didn't buy into the whole "Henderson isn't worth an offer" arguments when I analyzed his stats. Sorry that I don't agree with "pay Henderson whatever is necessary" arguments as I express acceptance over him going elsewhere. Those viewpoints don't make me inconsistent. I'm actually one of the most consistent posters if you just stop worrying about trying to analyze everyone's posts as "all-or-nothing".

Henderson was worth a UM scholarship offer, but also not worth a huge NIL offer. That is all.

Advertisement
That's reasonable ..... I guess I just have ptsd of how we attacked (didn't attack) the portal last yr at the wr position and we see what that resulted in. Like some of y'all are literally saying the exact same thing y'all said last yr .... Not being worried, not wanting to over pay "average" players, etc.... And look at our wr room now. Still a desperate need.

I get what you're saying. In my case, don't confuse me saying we shouldn't grossly overpay w/ not being concerned. Think we all want and know we need a clear cut WR1 that can go over the top of defenses. It's unfortunate that the hiring of Gattis not only messed us up last season but for the foreseeable future portal and recruiting wise till results are showed this fall. Hoping they are so we can get over this stigma.

I think this is a fair and reasonable take.

One thing people need to keep in mind - and what’s being left out of this conversation unfairly - is that when the news of Henderson becoming available broke, it was stated by someone on the board who is very in the know that it wasn’t going to cost a bag. Under those conditions, I think he’s worth a shot. Others do too.

But see - then there becomes talk about a bag and starting player minutes demands. That throws a completely different dynamic into this.

I am willing to guess that a number of those who soured on taking Henderson, didn’t sour on him because he’s choosing another school but, rather, because he went from straight up simple homecoming to bags and starter minutes and we said he ain’t worth it.

Nailed it.

Particularly with Xzavier...he has/had the chance to rewrite his ending. To drive down the Turnpike and show his old coach that he was being used wrong. To rehab his game near friends & family. To potentially change the narrative on what happened between his brother and Mike Rumph.

But if he goes to Cincy for a few more pieces of silver, then I stop caring. Doesn't mean I'm angry or jilted or hurt. I just don't care anymore.

No more, no more.

Advertisement
This is the crazy **** on here. So many FANS **** all over everything we got going on regardless of whether or not they have a clue if it's fact or fiction they speak on. Yet heaven forbid they simply watch what's going on. All this talk about dudes not buying in at wr yet we have a **** good one committed in Chance... These kids believe the same **** y'all do. They swear we desperate and as a result they try to bend us over a barrel. Maybe some of y'all are good with getting bent over(that wasn't an invitation you know who)but I ain't in to these games. You don't pay a kid who's coming in for one year a million plus UNLESS he's got **** good RESULTS AT THIS LEVEL... You don't promise these kids anything beyond they'll get an opportunity. If you come here and try to tell us I'm starting and if I stay healthy I want this many touches per game, guess what **** YOU & these games you're trying to play... Best case one year dudes with these types of results should be asking for 100-150k. Not 1.25,that's just ****ery

Got-****! This is gettin' to be ri-god****-diculous!

1.25? There's a lot of sand on South Beach that needs pounding.

Any chance nephew can still change his mind? Tell him we'll split the difference, 500K...

I'm not necessarily buying the "they used him wrong" theory. The guy was there for three seasons under two different head coaches and two different offensive coordinators and at no time during those three years did ANYONE say "hey maybe we need to use this guy as a downfield threat"? I mean it's possible that Billy and Mullen were both just totally clueless and totally misused the guy but when you average 10.7 yards per catch under one coach and then 10.8 under another coach, with a completely different system, it may be because you're not Randy Moss.

7 players on UF averaged over 17.5 yards per catch last season. So, it's not bad QB play or an offense that only throws short passes.

Or your qb isnt exactly Rex Grossman.

What wr there produced...other than the guy they threw bubbles too alot that is now with the chiefs? @flagator86

Advertisement
Back