Xzavier Henderson Hits the Portal

I’m sadden for the Canes offensive future under mario
We have a chance but it’s not going to be easy. We are going to have to get a lot out of the existing QB and WR room we have.

One thing I do believe is that Dawson is one of those coaches who can do more with less and we need that. As long as Mario allows it, I think Dawson can get something out of what he has.

Advertisement
Mario is 110% responsible for Gattis. Mario hired him. Mario has a reputation as a bro-style QB killer before he came here. It’s indisputable.

I am happy to praise Mario for the trenches and some of the positive things he’s done but WR and QB recruiting isn’t what we need it to be. And there’s no way Dawson likes the WR core. He’s got Mario’s reputation on O on his shoulders and not many kids will believe otherwise until they see otherwise on the field as to WR and QB. Watch.
Cristobal 150% takes the blame.for Gattis. He got rid of him, so now when players comes on visits, they are seeing Dawson's scheme.

Cristobal last full class at Oregon he had #40 Overall player #7 QB, #41 OVR, #3 WR, #57 OVR 7 WR. #171 OVR player #28 WR. Sure sound like skill players were running away from Mario.

This idea started after disgruntled Oregon fans started it and u man picked it up.

U cannot accept that some of these portal kids want a bag that they are not worth.

Yall same one said he would never hire a Air Raid guy. I said i never believed he was married to no bro style. Weeks and weeks of crying about bro style

They were turnt off by Gattis, and Cristobal gets blame for Gattis. Gattis is gone. If Henderson was so turnt off by Cristobal why tf would he even come here when he can watch all our games from last season. Man are out here shopping.

Cristobal 150% takes the blame.for Gattis. He got rid of him, so now when players comes on visits, they are seeing Dawson's scheme.

Cristobal last full class at Oregon he had #40 Overall player #7 QB, #41 OVR, #3 WR, #57 OVR 7 WR. #171 OVR player #28 WR. Sure sound like skill players were running away from Mario.

This idea started after disgruntled Oregon fans started it and u man picked it up.

U cannot accept that some of these portal kids want a bag that they are not worth.

Yall same one said he would never hire a Air Raid guy. I said i never believed he was married to no bro style. Weeks and weeks of crying about bro style

They were turnt off by Gattis, and Cristobal gets blame for Gattis. Gattis is gone. If Henderson was so turnt off by Cristobal why tf would he even come here when he can watch all our games from last season. Man are out here shopping.
Of course they want bags. Guess what??? Our bags can’t buy us the higher level WRs right now. The class isn’t done so there’s time but like you said, we are going to have to show it on the field with what we have. We need Dawson to be the guy who gets more with less at certain positions. Thankfully, he has some good pieces at TE, OL and hopefully enough at RB, minus injuries.

Of course they want bags. Guess what??? Our bags can’t buy us the higher level WRs right now. The class isn’t done so there’s time but like you said, we are going to have to show it on the field with what we have. We need Dawson to be the guy who gets more with less at certain positions. Thankfully, he has some good pieces at TE, OL and hopefully enough at RB, minus injuries.
Its not that we cant by a WR, its just at what price you are buying. There is no Jordan Addison in the portal. We have man marginally better or same as what we have, so why break the bank if they are asking unreasonable prices. I agree if they stand firm and not overpay for players with average production. I like Henderson because he is a really good athlete, not because i think he is guaranteed to elevate the room. He could be Frank Ladson. Thats not a pay whatever he wants type player.

Advertisement
Its not that we cant by a WR, its just at what price you are buying. There is no Jordan Addison in the portal. We have man marginally better or same as what we have, so why break the bank if they are asking unreasonable prices. I agree if they stand firm and not overpay for players with average production. I like Henderson because he is a really good athlete, not because i think he is guaranteed to elevate the room. He could be Frank Ladson. Thats not a pay whatever he wants type player.
I wouldn’t pay Henderson a big bag either. They can’t get the level of WR they need. They need a big bag and at that point, there are better options for the better known and established kids with Coaches who have a good track record.

The fact that Mario went with Dawson is a step in the right direction, no doubt. But in order to overcome the narrative that, quite frankly, has some merit, he has to have proof of concept. That can't happen in the off-season. Dawson is cool and all...in theory...but Mario has to show that Dawson has full control of the O. Otherwise, what really has changed?

What I'm basically saying is the stink that was/is Gattis can't be washed off with just an off-season.

Advertisement
I wouldn’t pay Henderson a big bag either. They can’t get the level of WR they need. They need a big bag and at that point, there are better options for the better known and established kids with Coaches who have a good track record.
I was good with the take but you can’t throw big money at him. The UTSA kid? Yes , throw the bag

I was good with the take but you can’t throw big money at him. The UTSA kid? Yes , throw the bag
Yeah man I started in today with that statement. I don’t blame them one bit for not dropping a bag on Henderson bc he’s not an Addison or Zay Flowers. I go back to what got us here in year 1. I think they are going to have to overpay for an upper level to elite guy and I would for a more elite guy if they can… if they can convince a guy like that to come here as it’s going to be different with Dawson and it’s not going to be the same ole bro-style poo.

Advertisement
Agree, but that's not what 'insiders' were selling less than a week ago.
They’re not wrong in that he adds a dimension which helps stretch the field but he’s not a star or close to it. The insiders also said - at least one of two big insiders - essentially that Henderson wasn’t a situation where a big bag was expected to be involved and staff had no interest in that so that’s consistent with how he was viewed - as someone they’d like but they weren’t going to shell out for.

Well, apparently he wants a bag of sorts that they don’t think is worth it. This is consistent and I don’t blame them. I do believe that they’d pay for a stud WR. I just don’t think they’ll have much luck landing one right now.

Advertisement
They’re not wrong in that he adds a dimension which helps stretch the field but he’s not a star or close to it. The insiders also said - at least one of two big insiders - essentially that Henderson wasn’t a situation where a big bag was expected to be involved and staff had no interest in that so that’s consistent with how he was viewed - as someone they’d like but they weren’t going to shell out for.

Well, apparently he wants a bag of sorts that they don’t think is worth it. This is consistent and I don’t blame them. I do believe that they’d pay for a stud WR. I just don’t think they’ll have much luck landing one right now.
Yes, more accurate perspective than my DRUNKEN porst. He's probly just playing the game, and likely that all things being EQUAL ($), he's a 'Cane.
Really on edge about this round of portalers, frankly.

I’m not sure who you are referencing. That poster on 247 is reputable as you know. If he’s saying the dude’s looking for a big bag then that’s likely a part of the problem. The other problem is that our HC as a bad rep on offense and he slit his own throat in year one with Gattis.

Make no mistake in interpreting what I’m saying about this situation. I don’t blame them for not over-paying a Henderson-level talent, especially when I see them getting Mauigoa’s and crystal balls for guys like Stone, but Mario dug this hole 110% hiring Gattis in year 1 and going bro-style instead of what was obvious to everyone else not thinking they’re the smartest guys in the room.

At the start of year one we had shiny brand new coach energy and momentum and that was Mario’s opportunity to show the future going forward in a throw-away year. All that shine and potential good will was ******* squandered. I know **** about football unlike a ton of people on here and even I knew better than that dreck we puked on the field game after game.

So yeah, I get not being fleeced but the HC did not put himself in a good situation in year one.
Oh I know he’s reputable and I’m not only referencing him but it’s “playbooking”. When other fans do it we take screenshots and laugh at it. We’re a 5 and 7 team with more holes than a sieve and a coach as you said who has a bad offensive rep, whether fair or unfair. We don’t have the luxury to be frugal.

The portal closes on Sunday and unless we’re expecting a huge influx of talent to enter by then that we’re willing to “overpay” for we need to adjust our strategy. If we truly are passing on all the guys we’ve shown interest in because they want “too big of a bag” and we don’t think they’re worth it, then maybe we’re the ones who have a distorted view of the current market value. Either adjust our strategy or be prepared to go into next season with the current roster while adding some “high character reasonably NIL valued” fillers.

BTW I’m perfectly fine focusing all of our efforts on HS recruiting. I think it’s a better long term strategy but let’s not claim we’re going to be aggressive in the portal if that’s the strategy. If that’s the route we better be ready to give the young guys a lot of burn while likely winning 6-7 games. Then hope it doesn’t affect HS recruiting or that the young talent we develop doesn’t get poached.

Yes, more accurate perspective than my DRUNKEN porst. He's probly just playing the game, and likely that all things being EQUAL ($), he's a 'Cane.
Really on edge about this round of portalers, frankly.
I understand man. With Henderson, and $ being = I’d like to think that he’d rather be at home than let’s say Louisville but I don’t say that with any confidence, even if we matched them.

At least we picked up some solid guys in the first wave who will play big roles on both sides of the ball. We’re really going to have to show something on the field on Offense and that means Dawson is going to have to do more with less. Something that would be a nice change.

Oh I know he’s reputable and I’m not only referencing him but it’s “playbooking”. When other fans do it we take screenshots and laugh at it. We’re a 5 and 7 team with more holes than a sieve and a coach as you said who has a bad offensive rep, whether fair or unfair. We don’t have the luxury to be frugal.

The portal closes on Sunday and unless we’re expecting a huge influx of talent to enter by then that we’re willing to “overpay” for we need to adjust our strategy. If we truly are passing on all the guys we’ve shown interest in because they want “too big of a bag” and we don’t think they’re worth it, then maybe we’re the ones who have a distorted view of the current market value. Either adjust our strategy or be prepared to go into next season with the current roster while adding some “high character reasonably NIL valued” fillers.

BTW I’m perfectly fine focusing all of our efforts on HS recruiting. I think it’s a better long term strategy but let’s not claim we’re going to be aggressive in the portal if that’s the strategy. If that’s the route we better be ready to give the young guys a lot of burn while likely winning 6-7 games. Then hope it doesn’t affect HS recruiting or that the young talent we develop doesn’t get poached.
I don’t think they can overpay for Henderson level talent and accomplishments. I think they’ll have to overpay to get someone but they need to get someone who’s a real upgrade to what we have. Henderson would help but he’s not nearly accomplished enough to overpay for. I think they’d pay for a real difference making talent… or at least try to.

Advertisement
Back