Xzavier Henderson Hits the Portal

Nah, I'm not hearing some of this craziness.

This kid:

1- Led UF in catches (38 last year) against SEC DB's.
2- UF had an erratic QB
3- UF misused him
4- UF had poor play calling, especially with him
5- He's legit fast
6- Even with all these albatrosses he was a starter and was productive against SEC comp
7- He went to Columbus AND its a flip off UF's roster. I'm down for the salt, too.
8- We NEED a fast, tall (6-3") WR. He is that.
9- We need depth and comp.

With a better passer, better WR-friendly offense and OC, better OL, and a chip on his shoulder, we really don't think this kid can be even more productive here at UM than he was at that UF Billy-called running ****show against ACC comp?

With our vertical passing game and TVD y'all really don't think this kid has 50 catches, 750 yards, and 6 TD's up his sleeve? He's not a lazy kid like Ladson.

Bring him to me. It's also a statement on the trail and in recruiting circles. We NEED him. Grab him and then go big game hunting on anything better that lands in the portal. We have room to take two. But right now the options aren't great.

If our WR's caught balls the way y'all catch feelings we wouldn't need him lol.

excellent-point-macha-gif.gif

Advertisement
I don't see the argument not to bring him unless there is another WR that the staff thinks is better and a realistic possibility that is available, they think that is he is a cancer (haven't seen that suggested anywhere), or taking him would stop us from taking a stud at another position of need due to scholarship limitations.

I understand the argument about stunting young players' growth, but we are at the stage where we need to show something on the field or we start facing the risk that players at positions we haven't struggled at don't want to come b/c of the overall play.

Word. Stunting young players growth? LOL. All the "young" players on the roster, except the two freshmen who are both slot players, have had 2-3.5 YEARS to "grow" by now. We need the best WR room we can build. Whoever beats out who, gets the most run. That's the Miami way. We need to bring in competition for our WR room, not coddle or protect them from the big bad transfer who might take their snaps by, you know, being better than that are.

Last edited:
And the next week vs Tennessee wasn’t much better!

They beat us, at home, gaining 170 yards of offense. That’s almost impossible.
Well, Virginia Tech had 219 yards. That was as good as a Miami defense you were every going to find and it got wasted because the offense was horrible.

Charleston Rambo caught 76 passes for 1180 yards and 9 TDs in three seasons at OU before he came here.

And that's in a Lincoln Riley offense playing with Spencer Rattler, Jalen Hurts, and Kyler Murray.

Xzavier Henderson has caught 73 passes for 835 yards and 5 TDs in three seasons at Florida, playing with Anthony Richardson, Emory Jones, and Kyle Trask.

Rambo was 6'1 and 177 at the combine and ran high 4.5.

Henderson is at least 6'2 and probably close to 200 pounds, and I'd be shocked if he was any slower than Rambo.

So we have a guy with similar production in a far worse scheme with far worse QBs, who is bigger and probably faster than the best WR we've had here in a decade (more?), and some of you are questioning whether or not we should take him on the roster when the downside is literally zero? It's not like we're giving up a first-round pick here, guys. He just enrolls and starts playing. If he sucks, then he stands next to the rest of the receivers who suck on the sidelines and waves a towel. I'm so confused as to why this is even a discussion? He's not my first choice if I could have any WR in America by any means, but how is it anything other than a very good chance to take (and I won't use the word "risk" because there's literally no risk). Our WRs sucked donkey **** last year. Period. We did absolutely nothing other than bring in a couple true freshmen. This kid is in his 4th year in a S&C program and has been practicing and playing against SEC athletes for 3 years. Take this kid immediately. And then keep looking for someone even better, because that's how much help we need.

Advertisement
A multi year starter that’s actually contributed is the next Lingard? There always has to be two extremes, he’s far from a Lingard but he’s also not a go to guy that’s going to have 1000-1200 yards and be All Acc. He’s a nice piece that can be used to stretch the field , use his length / height and be a solid to good punt returner. Not sure how that’s a bad take. I think that makes the group better. Btw that was a run heavy offense he put up those numbers in and a very inaccurate qb. I think he’s much more useful in this scheme.
Are we saying Ladson is his floor or his comp?

Charleston Rambo caught 76 passes for 1180 yards and 9 TDs in three seasons at OU before he came here.

And that's in a Lincoln Riley offense playing with Spencer Rattler, Jalen Hurts, and Kyler Murray.

Xzavier Henderson has caught 73 passes for 835 yards and 5 TDs in three seasons at Florida, playing with Anthony Richardson, Emory Jones, and Kyle Trask.

Henderson is at least 6'2 and probably close to 200 pounds, and I'd be shocked if he was any slower than Rambo.

So we have a guy with similar production in a far worse scheme with far worse QBs, who is bigger and probably faster than the best WR we've had here in a decade (more?), and some of you are questioning whether or not we should take him on the roster when the downside is literally zero? It's not like we're giving up a first-round pick here, guys. He just enrolls and starts playing. If he sucks, then he stands next to the rest of the receivers who suck on the sidelines and waves a towel. I'm so confused as to why this is even a discussion? He's not my first choice if I could have any WR in America by any means, but how is it anything other than a very good chance to take (and I won't use the word "risk" because there's literally no risk). Our WRs sucked donkey **** last year. Period. We did absolutely nothing other than bring in a couple true freshmen. This kid is in his 4th year in a S&C program and has been practicing and playing against SEC athletes for 3 years. Take this kid immediately. And then keep looking for someone even better, because that's how much help we need.

Would also add the kid comes from a powerhouse HS program, has a brother who was an elite athlete that went top 10 in the draft, and Xzavier himself was a track star with very good verified times. So I think the pedigree is there to where you can put into context the **** show he dealt with at UF and think there's still upside left

Advertisement
He going to be Miami’s version of the Lorenzo Lingard transfer.

Major athlete who can’t really play.

Gets overvalued by the new destination.

Shows up and continues to perform at the same level.

Fanbase from the previous stop is unrelenting with the lulz.
Lingard had like 5 carries here and no knees lol

Would also add the kid comes from a powerhouse HS program, has a brother who was an elite athlete that went top 10 in the draft, and Xzavier himself was a track star with very good verified times. So I think the pedigree is there to where you can put into context the **** show he dealt with at UF and think there's still upside left
If he has as much aversion to the tackling process as his brother does, he'll feast on YAC.

Advertisement
We will never get the Addison types anyway Hendo is the best we will get
Jaelen Phillips? Addison was signed delivered to USC..we just signed the number 1 & 3 OT..so to say we will never get that caliber athlete is not true. But you have to a track record. At WR we don’t quite have that. A place like USC had Riley’s resume with WRs & the chance to play with a top 2 future NFL pick with Williams..a kid like Addison wasn’t going to USC 4 years ago

Last edited:
Jaelen Phillips? Addison was signed delivered to USC..we just signed the number 1 & 3 OT..so to say we will never get that caliber athlete is not true. But you have to a track record. At WR we don’t quite have that. A place like USC had Riley’s resume with WRs & the chance to play with a top 2 future NFL pick with Williams..a kid like Addison wasn’t going to USC 4 years ago

Phillips had to be rehabbed extensively before he could see the field here.

But I agree that he’s by far the most notable transfer since the portal opened to come to Miami.

I don’t think it hurts to bring him in, I’m just not holding out hope that he’s a special player and both Mullen and Napier didn’t know how to use him. If he comes in and pushes our starters or earns a starting spot, great but I don’t think he’s the outside deep threat we want him to be. At this point it doesn’t hurt to have him on the team. He’s at least better than a few guys we still have

Advertisement
I am rooting like **** for Jacolby George as he is a Plantation High guy. But he has played 15 games with 20 catches for 313 yards and is coming off an injury. If he stays healthy, I fully agree that he ends up more productive than Henderson in '23. But, we can't take anything for granted.

I also agree that Joseph will end up being significantly better than Henderson, and could very well be next year. But, we can't take anything for granted, as he hasn't played a college snap.

Eventually, R. Washington may also be better than Henderson, but that isn't probable in '23.

Even if you don't think he's very good (and I don't), Henderson is a clear take due to our current (and '24) situation.

While I’m not saying don’t take him, those stats are Not similar lol. The amount of catches is similar, but Rambo did far more with them then Henderson - which is kinda the point…. Rambo wasn’t the top WR on Oklahoma from what I remember. And That’s 345 less yards on only 3 less catches. And he’s supposed to be a deep threat. Rambo averaged 15.5 ypr then got 14.8 ypr at Miami. Henderson only averages 11.4 ypr. That is significantly worse - especially for a guy that would be our deep threat. Plus Hendersons had a 0.069 TD rate. Rambo had almost double that of 0.12 TD rate.

Now you wanna say the reason for that is entirely scheme, ok. But Rambo’s production was definitively better.

While I’m not saying don’t take him, those stats are Not similar lol. The amount of catches is similar, but Rambo did far more with them then Henderson - which is kinda the point…. Rambo wasn’t the top WR on Oklahoma from what I remember. And That’s 345 less yards on only 3 less catches. And he’s supposed to be a deep threat. Rambo averaged 15.5 ypr then got 14.8 ypr at Miami. Henderson only averages 11.4 ypr. That is significantly worse - especially for a guy that would be our deep threat. Plus Hendersons had a 0.069 TD rate. Rambo had almost double that of 0.12 TD rate.

Now you wanna say the reason for that is entirely scheme, ok. But Rambo’s production was definitively better.

I said similar, and go look at the games and compare their average depth of target. It's hard to average 17 yards a catch when every pass they throw you is at or behind the LOS. Rambo was used in a completely different manner.

it’s as simple as this..If George twist an ankle he’s replaced with Mike Redding..and I guess Washington would be behind Mike. If 4 goes down it’s Ladson or horton. Henderson adds experience depth who can add speed to this room. You take him and likely another

Advertisement
Back