XFL Buy/Sell

Hard buy

At least they let them play and u don't have alot of puzzy targeting calls. And I need me xfl2k football cause Madden been hot garbage for years so I'm in. I need to see some competition and alot of my boys are watching it like it's NFL.

I'm with this. Madden blows

Advertisement
Sell. It's the equivalent of watching the MLS after watching Premier and Euroleague. No matter how compelling and well put together the product is, you realize you are not watching the best in the world. That matters to me at least. I'm not interested in watching bench warmers/practice squad players ball out.

Kind of my stance.

You can get away with not watching the best in the world IF you had a vested interest.....like college. Ivy League, Patriot League kids and local fans will still go watch their local school because of the name behind it. Minor league baseball fans will still go to local stadiums to watch games bc it's a community thing....and who knows, maybe you will see that one budding star grow up before your eyes. I don't like Soccer so the only games i can watch are World Cup when country names are behind it. I like playing basketball but not a huge fan of watching it, but the NCAA tourney is much watch TV. NBA playoffs are dependent on matchups.

What has bothered me about as much as the forced interviews after plays in the XFL is the horrid QB play. Fans will start to turn the channel off if you consistently go 3-and-out or finish game 12-28 passing. Even average college teams can usually move the ball against other similarly talented teams.

Do you think they see the future?
Indeed. It’s content in a content starved world (far better than the competitive ax throwing that I saw on ESPN this weekend). For the NFL...it could be a true minor league which they desperately need for QB development.

Advertisement
Kind of my stance.

You can get away with not watching the best in the world IF you had a vested interest.....like college.

I actually prefer college football to pro football. Not just Miami games either. I would rather watch two random college teams play than two random NFL teams play. Part of what makes pro football so boring to me is that everything is too perfect. The players are so good, there's rarely any big breakdowns on offense or defense. Big plays happen because somebody messed up and if nobody messes up, you get a really bland product. The XFL can succeed if it brings in more "college offense" guys. Watching Hal Mumme run the Air Raid in Dallas is a lot more fun than watching Norm Chow bore me to death trying to run an NFL style offense with subpar quarterback play in Los Angeles. We always see these college quarterbacks who are exciting to watch and play great in college but for whatever reason (size, arm strength) they never pan out in the NFL. It would be cool for guys who can sling it around or maybe guys who are more athlete than quarterback to have a place to play professionally. A guy like D'Eriq King is the perfect example.

I actually prefer college football to pro football. Not just Miami games either. I would rather watch two random college teams play than two random NFL teams play. Part of what makes pro football so boring to me is that everything is too perfect. The players are so good, there's rarely any big breakdowns on offense or defense. Big plays happen because somebody messed up and if nobody messes up, you get a really bland product. The XFL can succeed if it brings in more "college offense" guys. Watching Hal Mumme run the Air Raid in Dallas is a lot more fun than watching Norm Chow bore me to death trying to run an NFL style offense with subpar quarterback play in Los Angeles. We always see these college quarterbacks who are exciting to watch and play great in college but for whatever reason (size, arm strength) they never pan out in the NFL. It would be cool for guys who can sling it around or maybe guys who are more athlete than quarterback to have a place to play professionally. A guy like D'Eriq King is the perfect example.

Oh i agree - i watch CFB all day saturday and as well on some thurs/fridays but only watch an occasional NFL game.

I'm just saying with the NFL, you watch the best of the best.....QBs making pinpoint throws. You see coaches/teams adjusting and appreciate the fine nuances within the game. In the XFL, you can go an entire game and not see a pinpoint pass while watch 10 others miss horribly. To support a lesser talent product, it needs to be exciting or have something else to draw people in.

I agree with you on all points.

I see this working two different ways.

Either pay more money for NFL caliber backup QBs that can legitimately execute that kind of offense or shift the league to wide open spread and bring in dual threat QBs that were successful in college but not polished enough as passers for the NFL and mold the offenses around that style like colleges do.

If they keep trying to run pro style offense with QBs that just cant hack it, it's going to be a snooze fest that won't make it.

Advertisement
Right now, buy.

1. These guys haven’t played together very long. It’s going to take time to gel.
2. I missed the first week. Watched 2 games this weekend. I really thought the coaches did an excellent job of adjusting in the 2nd half to what the other team was doing in the first.
3. As previously stated. Officials. Seem to work well together and like the reviews. You get to watch the guy look at the play and make the call.
4. Maybe it’s just me but I really like the kickoff. To me it’s exciting and since no one is full speed it probably cuts down on the injuries.
5. As previous stated, qb.

My $.02

I'll check back in again next weekend, but if the product remains largely the same, I'll be checking back less and less.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Cautiously optimistic, if the XFL realizes there is a marketplace for a spring-summer league. They will never compete with the NFL. They should focus on being a developmental league, like the CBA was for the NBA. They do need to improve QB play, but that may occur in time.

Buy IF the teams move to smaller markets and the XFL works with the NFL to become a developmental league for fringe NFL players.

Why do Dallas, New York, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Houston, LA, Washington DC and San Francisco need teams? I assume they're tied in to places that have MLS stadiums?

They should definitely look at San Diego, Portland and places like Oklahoma City - untapped professional markets.

If they start overlooking college eligibility rules (like the USFL did), the NFL will crush them.

Advertisement
Back