X had 17 targets?!!

I mean it's not a "love-fest"—quarterbacks have their go-to guys and Restrepo has better chemistry with TVD than Young, Horton, Smith, etc. at this point.

These other cats just have to work more on their timing and getting open.

Again, I wish this weren't the case and Restrepo as a safety blanket—where Van Dyke is literally throwing into triple coverage and not reading his progressions—a huge problem ... but it's not a popularity contest.

The two of them just have better timing and chemistry and have more reps together.
Lmao it’s a love fest! He’s not looking for other guys unless the play is specifically designed for them. Guys are absolutely running ashole naked open out there and throwing into triple coverage to his boy (pause). Dani straight up said in his press conference that 4 (young) is a beast but we force feeding 7 🤣. Those were his actual words 🤦🏾‍♂️

Advertisement
@KingB02 - it was 18 targets:

View attachment 261685

@canester95 or anyone else thinking this is hate: No!!

It’s an issue in which coaching is failing in game planning (why are we always running caveman football with two tight ends that never get a ball thrown to them) when we have a lot of weapons that can be used in slot play (Ray Ray, Washington, Harrell, Colbie Young, Brashard Smith, Johnson).

There is no motion, very few 4 WR sets, it’s just some bad offensive play calling and if the QB is missing so many other throws because he only locks on to one guy, it should be called out for not executing the offense.

18 of his 48 passing attempts went to X! That’s insane!! The other guys on this team are not terrible for them not to be getting. The ball.

@gogeta4, @Memnon and others have yet to be proven wrong in terms of whom should’ve been head coach (Lane). This is abysmal. 9-9 vs the ACC and 0-6 vs the ACC at home.

Adjustments need to be made by this coaching staff and the QB like yesterday.

If the same (keep forcing it type by the coaches and the QBs continues) **** is only going to get worse.

Until proven wrong by this team and coaching, it’s the same **** as the last 20 years, but with a much more expensive coaching staff.
Man it’s starting to feel like sabotage by the OC! He just out of nowhere stopped doing EVERYTHING that we were successfully doing the first 4 games!

X isn’t the issue. He gets open & catches the ball consistently. He fights hard every down.

The issue is that the O is now far too predictable with the same 3 WRs getting targeted repeatedly & not surprisingly the INTs are mounting (5 in the last 2 games). Certain throws have also been forced into coverage when safer options were available.
Together with the fumbles, those INTs are causing us to lose.

Pointing at stats for the season as defense for TVD’s recent play isn’t correct. A lot of those stats came against weak teams. It’s the trend against quality ACC opponents that’s concerning. The most important stats to look at are 0-2 in ACC play with 5 INTs. We can’t win against high quality DCs & defenses in the ACC with a predictable O (that has mostly targeted only 3 WRs so far). Combine predictability with a bunch of INTs & you have almost no chance of beating Clemson & FSU. Clemson is Top 15 nationally on D & plays sound fundamental ball. With their stout run game & highly mobile QB, it will get ugly unless we break tendencies, spread the ball around more & cut down the number of TOs significantly.

Simple adjustments could be made:

• Scramble, dump it off, or throw it away (instead of forcing balls into coverage)

• Throw to Arroyo & Riley. Would love to see Arroyo getting at least 5-7 targets per game

• More Brashard (who has really developed nicely) & Horton. That would make it 7 real weapons that need to be accounted for instead of 3 (plus the run game). A more diverse offense that incorporates some easier throws would limit TOs significantly and lead to wins.

TVD makes stuff happen that very few QBs can do with his arm.

But his weaknesses is the number one asset that every QB needs and thats field vision.

If, what @SWFLHurricane is true (and I trust you, bro), then its evidenced on tape that TVD is not making field reads because he is not spending that much time in the film room. And in an Air Raid, there is one guy who needs to snort the film room like cocaine and thats the QB. I presume Dawson gave him an earful before the George TD because Miami ran a post-wheel-concept prior in the game and Ray Ray was naked on it. TVD went to X in a desperation throw.

It sucks because this offense could be even better if the QB would do the actual read in the play, especially vs man coverage. The **** is there, but you have to make the read. Even on the George TD, X was pointing away from him and I am not sure TVD even realized that George got open until the last second. If its man, guess what: X. It happens too often.

We can do this, its not like **** is not there in this offense. It just needs to be executed better.
He locks onto X. But I wonder if it’s predetermined. Or is when a team shows presnap one thing then post snap another and when the coverage changes he panics and just goes to X. Bc I think he struggles reading coverages and that causes him to just lock onto X bc he’s confused. This is total speculation

Advertisement
He locks onto X. But I wonder if it’s predetermined. Or is when a team shows presnap one thing then post snap another and when the coverage changes he panics and just goes to X. Bc I think he struggles reading coverages and that causes him to just lock onto X bc he’s confused. This is total speculation
QBs like to use players to identify coverages.

I don't really care about TVD staring down his target cause this is CFB. Majority of the QBs do it at this level.

The bigger issue is him staring down Xavier when the entire opposing defense is keying on it.

Even on our last offensive possession Colbie Young is wide open on a 12 yard in route and this man TVD STILLLLLL threw it to X.

Oh and BTW, anyone criticizing players without a proper understanding of the system just needs to stfu and stop getting mad that others know more about the game than they do.

Study to show yourself approved and stop whining.
Pot = Kettle = Canezum5. You attack TVD and then say that. Just unreal.

X isn’t the issue. He gets open & catches the ball consistently. He fights hard every down.

The issue is that the O is now far too predictable with the same 3 WRs getting targeted repeatedly & not surprisingly the INTs are mounting (5 in the last 2 games). Certain throws have also been forced into coverage when safer options were available.
Together with the fumbles, those INTs are causing us to lose.

Pointing at stats for the season as defense for TVD’s recent play isn’t correct. A lot of those stats came against weak teams. It’s the trend against quality ACC opponents that’s concerning. The most important stats to look at are 0-2 in ACC play with 5 INTs. We can’t win against high quality DCs & defenses in the ACC with a predictable O (that has mostly targeted only 3 WRs so far). Combine predictability with a bunch of INTs & you have almost no chance of beating Clemson & FSU. Clemson is Top 15 nationally on D & plays sound fundamental ball. With their stout run game & highly mobile QB, it will get ugly unless we break tendencies, spread the ball around more & cut down the number of TOs significantly.

Simple adjustments could be made:

• Scramble, dump it off, or throw it away (instead of forcing balls into coverage)

• Throw to Arroyo & Riley. Would love to see Arroyo getting at least 5-7 targets per game

• More Brashard (who has really developed nicely) & Horton. That would make it 7 real weapons that need to be accounted for instead of 3 (plus the run game). A more diverse offense that incorporates some easier throws would limit TOs significantly and lead to wins.
As I said other day “ we’ve played six games and now have tendencies“. Both sides of the ball. We play our three starters way too much and use 11-12 personnel too much. We have good receivers and need to spread the field more using 10 personnel. I also expect Arroyo to make a difference biw that his pt will
inceease.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't really care about TVD staring down his target cause this is CFB. Majority of the QBs do it at this level.

The bigger issue is him staring down Xavier when the entire opposing defense is keying on it.

Even on our last offensive possession Colbie Young is wide open on a 12 yard in route and this man TVD STILLLLLL threw it to X.

Oh and BTW, anyone criticizing players without a proper understanding of the system just needs to stfu and stop getting mad that others know more about the game than they do.

Study to show yourself approved and stop whining.
It was Horton Mr. Know Football.

Pot = Kettle = Canezum5. You attack TVD and then say that. Just unreal.

I attacked TVD?

OK Mrs Van Dyke. All I did was say he stared down a Xavier on a play.

Call your Bannerman the battle has begun 🥹

This is such a weird post and it really doesn't make any sense. It's either a Van Dyke or Cway burner account.

It was Horton Mr. Know Football.
Yep. CWAY burner account.

Knowing football would be knowing the route not knowing the player. So this was a fail, buddy. Nice try

Aren't you the lover of all things prime? He don't know the players either. So you should be groveling to me. 🫡

Advertisement
And believe me, I find the notion that Restrepo shouldn't receive the amount of targets he gets completely ridiculous and yes, I still laugh at cway dismissing these as "throw it to the open guy".

The problem is is that we leave plays out on the field because TVD tends to lock onto one guy. And with our tendency to ram an axe into our leg every time we play football, these things should be executed better.

He didn't make the first post-wheel-read at all. He made the second one late. He can do a lot better in this instance. Thats the point.
I’d throw to X every single time till he’s stopped, X is impossible to cover elite receiver with tremendous hands.
Don’t give a hoot X ‘s play opens others to opportunities.
X is our O period FEED him all day long.

But that’s just me wanting to throw to open receivers, if he’s tripled then do your profession to who open.

Not rocket science X is the best player we have on O use him.

GOCANES

Yep. CWAY burner account.

Knowing football would be knowing the route not knowing the player. So this was a fail, buddy. Nice try

Aren't you the lover of all things prime? He don't know the players either. So you should be groveling to me. 🫡
Yikes!

I’d throw to X every single time till he’s stopped, X is impossible to cover elite receiver with tremendous hands.
Don’t give a hoot X ‘s play opens others to opportunities.
X is our O period FEED him all day long.

But that’s just me wanting to throw to open receivers, if he’s tripled then do your profession to who open.

Not rocket science X is the best player we have on O use him.

GOCANES
Is this sarcasm?

Advertisement
TVD looks to X too much but keep in mind that was 17 targets out of 48 attempts (35%).

Advertisement
Back