WTH happened to FSU in South Florida?

Advertisement
The title of this thread is what happened to FSU in South Florida, but we need to ask wtf happened to FSU in their own territory??

Their Safety recruiting is suffering this class, they could end up missing on:

- Terrion Arnold from Tallahassee, Bama is leading
- Ahmari Harvey who literally goes to Florida State University High School from Tallahassee, AU is leading
- Dink Jackson from Melbourne FL, just committed to Ole Miss
- De'Shawn Rucker from Tallahassee, committed to Tennessee
- Larry Smith from Jacksonville, committed to Indiana
- Corey Coley Jr from Jacksonville, committed to Maryland
- Aubrey Burks from Auburndale, committed to Indiana
- Jordan Blackmon from Melbourne, committed to USF

They lucked out in their CB recruiting landing Omarion Cooper because the HC at Lehigh is a former Nole & his dad is big time FSU fan, and Kevin Knowles because his older sister goes to FAMU and his parents wanted both kids in Tally. They got Hunter Washington out of Katy because TAMU & UT weren't high on him.

And of course they're not getting Collier Jr who's a legacy. But man, they've even lost traction recruiting old Nole stronghold territory, they can't even lockdown their backyard.
Some FSU fans think The protocols he put in about no headphones, hoodies or grills in at the facility are hurting them with some kids.

Some FSU fans think The protocols he put in about no headphones, hoodies or grills in at the facility are hurting them with some kids.
It gives the impression he's a hard ***. Given the choice between two schools where one's got rules like that and one that doesn't, he'll lose every time.

Not retaining Raymond Woodie, Stanford Samuels Sr & Telly Lockette has hurt them the most.

Plus with the way they've handled Haggins as the permanent interim coach has complelty stripped him of all his power on the trail, he's basically a substitute teacher & has no real respect within the program which recruits can see & along with him being one foot out the door anyway.

Norvell's gonna have a tough whole to dig them out of if they don't win this season, if the fck around & go 6-5 or 5-6 they're screwed for the 22 class.

great post LCE

to me, what you're seeing in miami's recruiting vs FSU's recruiting is one program having laid the foundation for stability during a time of incredible disruption and upheaval, and the other having done the complete opposite.

it's true that FSU basically picked just about the worst time in the history of college football to have a coaching change, making a switch the offseason before a global pandemic essentially eliminates in-person recruiting. no fault of their own, in one sense, but also it is, since the taggart era put them in a *very* precarious position in terms of resources and pecking order within the state. right now is a uniquely bad time to be in a precarious position (true for every industry/person in america lol), and they're being hurt badly in recruiting for having completely ripped their foundation out twice over in the last three years.

aside from haggins and dugans, do kids in their area know the new coaches at all? LCE or some others might have a better guess at how much in-person time norvell's staff was able to spend with guys like arnold or harvey, but i can't imagine it would be more than a few hours at most. their staff got hired a month and a half before the shutdown. once you start asking that same question about south florida it's laughable... most kids in florida prob don't know FSU's coaches from a hole in the wall.

meanwhile we actually have legitimate stability and continuity on our staff, esp on the defensive side of the ball, and manny has made key recruiting hires for our area. both of those things are paying off in a huge way during a time when nobody can leave their area, and parents really need to trust who they are sending their kids off to school with. manny couldn't have predicted a global pandemic, but he put together a good defensive staff and kept them together for essentially 5 years *and* hired dynamic local recruiters. we are clowning our rivals right now because we set ourselves up to succeed in this moment.

also we're lucky to be geographically isolated right now. guys from tally can go to bama or auburn and still be 3 hours from home. we have a 5+ hour drive buffer between us and the next power 5 school.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Not retaining Raymond Woodie, Stanford Samuels Sr & Telly Lockette has hurt them the most.

Plus with the way they've handled Haggins as the permanent interim coach has complelty stripped him of all his power on the trail, he's basically a substitute teacher & has no real respect within the program which recruits can see & along with him being one foot out the door anyway.

Norvell's gonna have a tough whole to dig them out of if they don't win this season, if the fck around & go 6-5 or 5-6 they're screwed for the 22 class.
Outside of Ices son and dugans they have nobody with connections down here. You can blame the pandemic for them not being able to form Some relationships but norvell clearly didn’t value so Florida at all when it pertains to his staff.

Outside of Ices son and dugans they have nobody with connections down here. You can blame the pandemic for them not being able to form Some relationships but norvell clearly didn’t value so Florida at all when it pertains to his staff.
Yup.

But it's even more alarming for them that they can't get kids in their backyard, I fully anticipated they would get shut out of South FL once they let go of Lockette & Samuels Sr, but the fact they can't land any of the high rated players from Tallahassee is bad for them...

Not being sympathetic or anything because I love to see FSU falling off but it's just surprising to me that they're struggling this bad, I mean they barely have a top 25 class lol.

Yup.

But it's even more alarming for them that they can't get kids in their backyard, I fully anticipated they would get shut out of South FL once they let go of Lockette & Samuels Sr, but the fact they can't land any of the high rated players from Tallahassee is bad for them...

Not being sympathetic or anything because I love to see FSU falling off but it's just surprising to me that they're struggling this bad, I mean they barely have a top 25 class lol.
And this is with most P5 programs at 70-80% capacity, which I expect will be 80-90% by end of August and possibly higher before we play a snap.

I don't anticipate nearly as much late-game or backdoor recruiting moves this year.

Yup.

Yea I’m all for it. I do know some of the local coaches were turned off by Jimbo cause he wouldn’t recruit local kids, he isn’t there anymore so I don’t know what there probably is especially with Harvey and Arnold cause they were both at Florida high before Arnold transfered across the street to John Paul.

Advertisement
Yup.

As far as Im concerned, they can go back to being an ALL 👧 school!

Advertisement
They suck is what happen.

The only guys they have with some sort of connects maybe Dugans, and Brandon Harris. Brandon may be able to do somethng at BTW if they have some guys worth an offer in the next few.

Haggins doesnt really come down here to recruit and he would be a guy that can pull stuff.

I think they focus more fromc entral to north fla...and then ther old recruiting grounds at their prior schools.
“They suck is what happen.” 😂😂😂

The title of this thread is what happened to FSU in South Florida, but we need to ask wtf happened to FSU in their own territory??

Their Safety recruiting is suffering this class, they could end up missing on:

- Terrion Arnold from Tallahassee, Bama is leading
- Ahmari Harvey who literally goes to Florida State University High School from Tallahassee, AU is leading
- Dink Jackson from Melbourne FL, just committed to Ole Miss
- De'Shawn Rucker from Tallahassee, committed to Tennessee
- Larry Smith from Jacksonville, committed to Indiana
- Corey Coley Jr from Jacksonville, committed to Maryland
- Aubrey Burks from Auburndale, committed to Indiana
- Jordan Blackmon from Melbourne, committed to USF

They lucked out in their CB recruiting landing Omarion Cooper because the HC at Lehigh is a former Nole & his dad is big time FSU fan, and Kevin Knowles because his older sister goes to FAMU and his parents wanted both kids in Tally. They got Hunter Washington out of Katy because TAMU & UT weren't high on him.

And of course they're not getting Collier Jr who's a legacy. But man, they've even lost traction recruiting old Nole stronghold territory, they can't even lockdown their backyard.

Im printing this out and sleeping with it

Advertisement

Hoping Harris is enjoying whataburger and guthries these days. fine tallahassee dining

This has become FSU's attitude towards S. Florida:

1596337874384.png

1596337903541.png

1596337974480.png

Advertisement
Back