WTH happened to FSU in South Florida?

They lost all their South FL juice because they let go of Lockette & Stanford Samuels Sr.

Their new staff doesn't have any ties to South FL nor are they interested in the region. The only reason they got Knowles is because his sister goes to FAMU & the family wanted them both to be in college in Tallahassee & they got Omarion Cooper because his dad is super tight with the HC at Lehigh Coach Chaney who is a former Nole himself & has been pushing him to FSU for years.

Coach Dugans lucked out getting B-Rob last year because Stubbsy was a fckhead who couldn't sell a bottle of water to a dying man in the desert & they signed Kentron Poitier because we didn't want him & never offered.

Odell Haggins can recruit but he's old & on the verge of retirement & the fact that he's the permanent interim coach that never gets any real respect of having a chance to be the HC actually turned some recruits off about FSU & inadvertently takes a fire extinguisher to his flame on the trail.

FSU will mainly focus on Northern/Central FL, GA, TX & at QB AZ because Norvell used to OC at AZ St & had success developing AZ QB's. The best recruiter they got on staff is Marcus Woodson who was at Auburn last year but was originally at Memphis with Norvell, he's a good well respected CB coach, but other than that their staff is pretty weak.

Unless Norvell can dig them out of the grave Taggart left'em in, they're gonna have to be a win on the field team before they start reeling in top 10 classes again. Plus with how much money they had to spend to get rid of Taggart & hire Norvell & with the economic downturn due to C19, they're not spending big money anymore like they used to. Boosters aren't just tossing cash left & right because they're not getting a return on their investment, everybody is tight with their checkbooks.

Advertisement
FSU just hired a new guy as head of their Boosters. He was formerly the AD at Central Michigan and is thought to be a fresh face, an upcoming , forward-thinking type of manager. FSU Booster organization has essentially become useless, from what I have read. Boosters never did a good job of targeting the best prospects. Instead, they always tied season tickets sales to Boosterdom, so, if people wanted to go to the games, they necessarily had to become a Booster.

Some of their most successful alumni live in NY, Boston, DC, California and elsewhere, and are NEVER buying season tickets. It seems that those people were never asked for donations or support - just an untapped pool.

From what I read, FSU has never been very proactive about seeking out potentially great donors. The former head of the Boosters was labelled as part of the "frat boy network" who sought little support and allowed next to no involvement from anyone not in that network. This guy was in charge for over 45 years.

I think this broken system has also been a factor in the demise of the Seminole brand. Perhaps Jimbo saw this happening around him when he bolted, too.

@Liberty City El

Do you think Saban is going to be successful in poaching their QB commit, Luke Altmeyer? the Bama board certainly thinks so - that would have to be a huge hit on the rest of their recruiting. He's apparently talking to Bama staff on the reg.

Fast forward to 2023, OP starts his next thread:

“Whatever happened to Corona virus?

Don’t know just happy its gone. Will it come back? I sure as **** hope not.

Same goesfor FSU.

They lost all their South FL juice because they let go of Lockette & Stanford Samuels Sr.

Their new staff doesn't have any ties to South FL nor are they interested in the region. The only reason they got Knowles is because his sister goes to FAMU & the family wanted them both to be in college in Tallahassee & they got Omarion Cooper because his dad is super tight with the HC at Lehigh Coach Chaney who is a former Nole himself & has been pushing him to FSU for years.

Coach Dugans lucked out getting B-Rob last year because Stubbsy was a fckhead who couldn't sell a bottle of water to a dying man in the desert & they signed Kentron Poitier because we didn't want him & never offered.

Odell Haggins can recruit but he's old & on the verge of retirement & the fact that he's the permanent interim coach that never gets any real respect of having a chance to be the HC actually turned some recruits off about FSU & inadvertently takes a fire extinguisher to his flame on the trail.

FSU will mainly focus on Northern/Central FL, GA, TX & at QB AZ because Norvell used to OC at AZ St & had success developing AZ QB's. The best recruiter they got on staff is Marcus Woodson who was at Auburn last year but was originally at Memphis with Norvell, he's a good well respected CB coach, but other than that their staff is pretty weak.

Unless Norvell can dig them out of the grave Taggart left'em in, they're gonna have to be a win on the field team before they start reeling in top 10 classes again. Plus with how much money they had to spend to get rid of Taggart & hire Norvell & with the economic downturn due to C19, they're not spending big money anymore like they used to. Boosters aren't just tossing cash left & right because they're not getting a return on their investment, everybody is tight with their checkbooks.
I knew Telly was gone but they let go of Boosie too??? Norvell really effed that one up. Telly and Boosie both have a lot of connections with South Florida kids and coaches. Welp.... F*ck em!!!!!

Advertisement
@Liberty City El

Do you think Saban is going to be successful in poaching their QB commit, Luke Altmeyer? the Bama board certainly thinks so - that would have to be a huge hit on the rest of their recruiting. He's apparently talking to Bama staff on the reg.
Yeah I've seen some smoke there with his recruitment.

He was a Kenny Dillingham kid that Dill had recruited heavily when he was at Memphis & Auburn, that's why they got his commitment so early. But they were interested in Sawyer Robertson right before the shutdown happened, he visited them before he committed to Miss St.

The thing about Bama's recruiting this class is they're applying heavy pressure on all the OOS targets they want early because Saban is well aware there probably won't be any visits, so he's having kids punch their ticket earlier than they normally would. Their entire class is comprised of OOS kids except for 2 Bama locals.

I think Bama still wants Milroe as their priority, but if he sticks with UT they definitely will close in on Altmeyer & it will come down to how strong his relationship with Dillingham is vs how attractive is playing for Bama for a kid from deep in SEC country.

Especially after losing Drake Maye to UNC & missing on Moss to USC, there really isn't any other QB's they could get, so I could definitely see a flip there.

And if FSU loses Altmeyer, all they could really do is push for Ty Keyes late even though they haven't offered him yet.

Advertisement
This was the main concern for several of my friends who are FSU fans. Norvell kept Dell (like he had a choice) and Dugans, but the SFL ties are sorely lacking on that staff.

I personally like Norvell a lot as a pure football coach. But he’s never recruited at this level and he assembled a staff that has zero ties to the most fertile recruiting ground on the planet.
From what I heard years ago—when we had big trouble from FSU in S. Fla, a guy that gave us a lot of trouble was Chuck Amato. Now that’s almost ancient history—the late ‘80’s. I don’t know who the key FSU guys were after that.

in the ‘80’s, FSU recruited S Fla more than UF. Go back and check the UF rosters from that era if you can find them.

Plus they probably have to cut the turnover backpack because of budget (although it’s only two or three per season) and they don’t boogie anymore at practice (Norvell not a boogie guy with natural dance moves) so not much to attract kids to FSU.

Advertisement
Yeah I've seen some smoke there with his recruitment.

He was a Kenny Dillingham kid that Dill had recruited heavily when he was at Memphis & Auburn, that's why they got his commitment so early. But they were interested in Sawyer Robertson right before the shutdown happened, he visited them before he committed to Miss St.

The thing about Bama's recruiting this class is they're applying heavy pressure on all the OOS targets they want early because Saban is well aware there probably won't be any visits, so he's having kids punch their ticket earlier than they normally would. Their entire class is comprised of OOS kids except for 2 Bama locals.

I think Bama still wants Milroe as their priority, but if he sticks with UT they definitely will close in on Altmeyer & it will come down to how strong his relationship with Dillingham is vs how attractive is playing for Bama for a kid from deep in SEC country.

Especially after losing Drake Maye to UNC & missing on Moss to USC, there really isn't any other QB's they could get, so I could definitely see a flip there.

And if FSU loses Altmeyer, all they could really do is push for Ty Keyes late even though they haven't offered him yet.

Yes. I can see that, too. It seems like Altmeyer is listening. Maybe he's just flattered. He has to know he'll sit for a few years. Seems like Nick might be using the Brockmeyers to lean more on Milroe right now.

The title of this thread is what happened to FSU in South Florida, but we need to ask wtf happened to FSU in their own territory??

Their Safety recruiting is suffering this class, they could end up missing on:

- Terrion Arnold from Tallahassee, Bama is leading
- Ahmari Harvey who literally goes to Florida State University High School from Tallahassee, AU is leading
- Dink Jackson from Melbourne FL, just committed to Ole Miss
- De'Shawn Rucker from Tallahassee, committed to Tennessee
- Larry Smith from Jacksonville, committed to Indiana
- Corey Coley Jr from Jacksonville, committed to Maryland
- Aubrey Burks from Auburndale, committed to Indiana
- Jordan Blackmon from Melbourne, committed to USF

They lucked out in their CB recruiting landing Omarion Cooper because the HC at Lehigh is a former Nole & his dad is big time FSU fan, and Kevin Knowles because his older sister goes to FAMU and his parents wanted both kids in Tally. They got Hunter Washington out of Katy because TAMU & UT weren't high on him.

And of course they're not getting Collier Jr who's a legacy. But man, they've even lost traction recruiting old Nole stronghold territory, they can't even lockdown their backyard.

The title of this thread is what happened to FSU in South Florida, but we need to ask wtf happened to FSU in their own territory??

- Ahmari Harvey who literally goes to Florida State University High School from Tallahassee, AU is leading

They lucked out in their CB recruiting landing Omarion Cooper because the HC at Lehigh is a former Nole & his dad is big time FSU fan, and Kevin Knowles because his older sister goes to FAMU and his parents wanted both kids in Tally. They got Hunter Washington out of Katy because TAMU & UT weren't high on him.

And of course they're not getting Collier Jr who's a legacy. But man, they've even lost traction recruiting old Nole stronghold territory, they can't even lockdown their backyard.
How solid is Jennings in his commitment to them?

Advertisement

Ahmari Harvey is a real one, trains w (might be related to but don’t quote me on that one, I know he’s been on visits w/ him) former nole Rodney Gallon too

Because I want to know why a porster is worried about FSU. You are a Canes fan correct?
It's not so much about being worried about them, it's about knowing what they are doing wrong and giving them an assist so they keep doing it. That reference to Sun Tzu is not wrong.

Besides I have a brother that went to FSU. It gives me something to discuss during Thanksgiving dinner.

Advertisement
Back