WR Rayshawn Jenkins commits to UM

I'm sick of all these athletic not fast safeties. I want guys who play Hash to Hash and can separate the ball from the receiver when necessary. I am not even talking about Sean Taylor type guys because he is a once in a life time type player. I'm talking about a Kenny Phillips, Mo Sikes type player. We need to start creating turnovers. I am well aware that a lot of it is predicated on the D-Line, but I get sick to my stomach watching our DB's.

I absolutely loathe Mike Williams. Everytime I see him do that stupid dance on 3rd down only to be beat by playing 10 yards off, then running backwards five yards when the ball is snapped. Gets turned around in coverage and can't tackle to save his life.

I can't believe I am saying this, but I prefer to watch DVD than this guy. At Least DVD was fast. He didn't get beat often in coverage, and he can run stride for stride with any receiver.

****! I want to see 8 DB's in this class and just let them ball out! Why is it so hard to recruit these type of kids! They are everywhere in Florida and yet none are currently on our roster.

Rant ended.

This kid looks fast and like he has great range, something both VT and Ray Ray seriously lack. (Ray Ray moreso which is why he should be at SLB but that's another debate). He's also got great size which is a plus as well.

Not much of a debate lol

Advertisement
Advertisement
St. Petersburg (FL) Admiral Farragut Academy WR Rayshawn Jenkins is a South Florida commitment.

But that may not last for long.

Jenkins says he has an official visit date set up to Miami for Dec. 14 - although he says he may move that up or back - and says if it goes well "I'd probably be going there."

For now, he says "I'm still a USF commitment. Miami's definitely at the top of my list; right now it's them and USF."

Jenkins has taken a pair of unofficial visits to Miami already, and he's speaking regularly with coach Art Kehoe.

"He just tells me how great a school Miami is," Jenkins said. "He's trying to reel me in.

"And I talked to coach (Al) Golden last week. He wants me to come in, thinks I have the potential to play four years for him. That's a good thing."

Jenkins says he likes the Canes because "it's so much tradition there. I just want to be part of that. They put players in the league, which I want to play in."

Jenkins has helped his team to a 9-1 record this season, with the playoffs set to begin next week. He's playing receiver and safety.

Despite missing five games due to injury he has seven TD catches.

His nickname?

"Megatron," as in Calvin Johnson.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
An intriguing and gifted athlete, Jenkins may be falling under the radar with the versatility and natural ability he brings to the table. Does it all for his high school team. An elusive dual-threat quarterback, who also doubles as a wide receiver and vertical threat. On defense, he has the height, range and ball skills that are coveted at the major college level. May be overlooked on the recruiting trail due to the fact that he has not settled in at one position and honed his skills. We feel he will most likely end up as a back-end defender in college. Flashes very good range, change-of-direction and overall athleticism to make plays in coverage. Displays very good body control and leaping ability; a good high-pointer and a defender who can match up with today's taller college receivers in deep zone coverage. Projects favorably over slots and tight ends in man-to-man coverage. Is flexible and has sharp footwork to match up in space; could be a valuable defensive back and one who is scheme versatile in college. Run support and tackling skills could use improvement as he could struggle early on playing in box. Success at the next level may be dictated by his ability to increase size, strength and physicality as as improve diagnosing skills. Overall, Jenkins should add immediate depth and versatility at the skills position and has the athleticism and measurables that project well at safety.

Advertisement
Back